BMW 2017 7 Series Remote Control Parking - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
BMW 2017 7 Series Remote Control Parking

For the MY 2017 7 Series BMW is including remote parking. This feature was released on the European spec 7 Series but was not offer in the US because of regulator issues. For 2017 the issues have been resolve and you can now option your 7 Series with the $550 stand alone option.

What is Remote Control Parking?
The Remote Control Parking function allows the driver to conveniently hop out of the vehicle before parking it via remote control by moving it forward into, or reversing out of, a tight parking space or garage. The driver activates the remote-controlled parking function from outside the vehicle via the Display Key.

Why do I want BMW Remote Control Parking?
  • Efficient use of narrow parking spots.
  • Avoid scratching doors while getting in/out of vehicle.
  • Improved comfort when getting in/out of vehicle.

Remote Parking is not a free for all. It has been limited for the safety of people around the car and your car itself. You don't want to accidently remote park your car into a lake. The following are the operating instructions and parameters when using the Remote Control Parking function.

Operation
  • Vehicle can be moved forward and straight into a parking spot. Vehicle can be reversed straight back out of a parking spot.
  • Vehicle can steer up to 3 degrees in either direction to correct for misalignment when moving forward into a parking spot. No steering correction is possible when reversing out of a parking spot.
  • Pressing appropriate arrows on the Display Key screen signify whether user wants vehicle to move forward into a spot or reverse out of a parked spot.
  • "P" button on side of Display Key must be continually pressed; vehicle immediately stops moving if "P" is released.
  • Vehicle will automatically brake if person/object moves in front or behind the car during operation.

Operating Parameters
  • Engine must be turned off and driver must stand outside of vehicle and then re-start engine via Display Key.
  • Display Key must be within a maximum radius of 10 feet to the side or rear of the vehicle (minimal range from front).
  • Remote Control Parking antenna is located under the back bumper, thus max range achieved standing directly behind the vehicle.
  • Engine will automatically shut off after 30 seconds once the car is idle.
  • Vehicle can be moved forward using Remote Control Parking for a maximum of 33 feet.
  • Any interaction with the vehicle (opening door, pressing accelerator, turning steering wheel, etc.) will cancel operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2106 750I xDrive
I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, without the remote parking. I wish I would have know it would have been availalbe in 2017 That sucks.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 18 M240i CV, 18 X2
Such a cool novelty feature. Hope it makes it into the next gen M5.
-2019 310 GS

Previous:
-2016 X1 Mediterranean Blue/Black
-2015 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue/Black
-2016 M5 BSM/Silverstone
-2016 M5 Tanzanite Blue/Silverstone
-1989 325i Convertible Blue/Black
-2008 328i Jet Black/Black
-2002 M5 LeMans Blue/Black
-2004 M3 Convertible Silver Grey/Grey
-2007 335i Jet Black/Terra
-2006 525i BSM/Beige
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic/Beige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 7 Series
If I read the specs right for the MY17 ordering guide, remote parking is not available on the 740e. I wonder why? Maybe the electric motors are too fast and can't be invoked with small enough torque for this operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

For the MY 2017 7 Series BMW is including remote parking. This feature was released on the European spec 7 Series but was not offer in the US because of regulator issues. For 2017 the issues have been resolve and you can now option your 7 Series with the $550 stand alone option.

The Remote Control Parking function allows the driver to conveniently hop out of the vehicle before parking it via remote control by moving it forward into, or reversing out of, a tight parking space or garage. The driver activates the remote-controlled parking function from outside the vehicle via the Display Key.

Remote Parking is not a free for all. It has been limited for the safety of people around the car and your car itself. You don't want to accidently remote park your car into a lake. The following are the operating instructions and parameters when using the Remote Control Parking function.

Operation
  • Vehicle can be moved forward and straight into a parking spot. Vehicle can be reversed straight back out of a parking spot.
  • Vehicle can steer up to 3 degrees in either direction to correct for misalignment when moving forward into a parking spot. No steering correction is possible when reversing out of a parking spot.
  • Pressing appropriate arrows on the Display Key screen signify whether user wants vehicle to move forward into a spot or reverse out of a parked spot.
  • "P" button on side of Display Key must be continually pressed; vehicle immediately stops moving if "P" is released.
  • Vehicle will automatically brake if person/object moves in front or behind the car during operation.

Operating Parameters
  • Engine must be turned off and driver must stand outside of vehicle and then re-start engine via Display Key.
  • Display Key must be within a maximum radius of 10 feet to the side or rear of the vehicle (minimal range from front).
  • Remote Control Parking antenna is located under the back bumper, thus max range achieved standing directly behind the vehicle.
  • Vehicle can be moved forward using Remote Control Parking for a maximum of 33 feet.
  • Any interaction with the vehicle (opening door, pressing accelerator, turning steering wheel, etc.) will cancel operation.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Cadillac CTS
Being in Minnesota, I would hate to use this feature when it is -15F outside. lol. To damn cold. With that said, sounds like there is an engine start "feature" as part of this. :o That would be interesting if it could be coded.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 750i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

Operation

Operating Parameters
Can i retro fit this to my 16 750? and What would be the cost?

16' BMW 750ix Autobahn Pkg.,Driver Assistance I&II, Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating W/Cold Weather Pkg., M sport Pkg + Alcantara Headliner +20" Wheels, Rear Seat Ent. Pkg., Bowers&Wilkins, Sky Lounge Led Roof, Ambient Air, Display Key...
Old 06-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS 1905 View Post
It is actually interesting.

for MY17, the display key option is no longer an option (3DS), instead it is standard.

Now I have to look under the bumper. I bet that the "antenna" for Remote parking is there in MY16. I mean, that is about the ONLY useful purpose for the display key (3DS). above the preconditioning, there is not much extra the display key does in the MY16 that the normal FOBs do. My guess it probably could be retrofitted but that would be fairly interesting to find out.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS 1905 View Post
I think I remember someone posting that it would not be a retrofittable item. Doesn't mean that someone couldn't figure it out, but I am guessing it would require a good number of additional modules and wiring.

Tim
Old 06-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: ///M850i
I just can't see myself ever using the feature. Still, cool bit o' tech.

'20 BMW X6 ///M50i | ManhattanGreen/Black
'19 BMW ///M850i | DravitGrey/Black
'18 BMW i3S REx | MineralGrey/DalbergiaBrown

RETIRED: '18 M550i, '17 X6 50i, '17 X5 50i, '16 X6M, '16 750i, '15 X4 35i, '14 328xiT, '14 X6M, '14 X6 35i, '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Achtung! Hochspannung!

Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKBimm100 View Post
If I read the specs right for the MY17 ordering guide, remote parking is not available on the 740e. I wonder why? Maybe the electric motors are too fast and can't be invoked with small enough torque for this operation.
The hybrid cars have different terminal control, which would understandably change the implementation of this sort of feature. My best guess is this caused the 740e to miss the initial launch for remote parking, but it should be something that can be done in the future(maybe MY2018?).

For example, if you get in a 330e or and i8 and leave the door open, put your foot on the brake and start the car it will enter "Ready" mode"(assuming your HV battery is charged). However, if you take your foot off the brake while the door is still open, the car actually shuts off and puts itself in accessory mode, as if you had hit the start/stop button again.

On the flip side, if you get the in the car with the door open, foot on the brake and hit the start/stop button with a discharged HV battery, the gas engine starts. If you let off the brake pedal at this point in time the vehicle stays running indefinitely. Closing the door entering Max eDrive mode once the battery is recharged some will cause the gas engine to shut off again, which means if the door is opened once more the car will be put into KLR(accessory mode).

Non-PHEV vehicles do not operate this way, once the engine is started the only way to shut it off is by pressing the start/stop button.

Just speculation, I have no proof or documentation behind this.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 G32 640i GT
Are they going to activate this feature on MY2016 with the display key option? Looks like the early adopters got the short end of the stick.

Last edited by bimmerfestfan; 06-17-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfestfan View Post
Are they going to activate this feature on MY2016 with the display key option? Looks like the early adopters got the short end of the stick.
I highly doubt it.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
It is always thus.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Welcome to bleeding edge of technology.

We always get cut one way or other. happens with phones, electronics, and now cars
Old 06-20-2016, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by figgie View Post
Welcome to bleeding edge of technology.
Not quite bleeding edge. My 2008 Lexus LS600hL had a self park feature.

On the plus side, it worked flawlessly when it identified an acceptable parking spot.

On the minus side it only identified an acceptable spot 10% of the parking attempts.

HBH
Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 540, 911 Cabriolet MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmar View Post
Not quite bleeding edge. My 2008 Lexus LS600hL had a self park feature.

On the plus side, it worked flawlessly when it identified an acceptable parking spot.

On the minus side it only identified an acceptable spot 10% of the parking attempts.

HBH
Did it have remote garage parking?
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Did it have remote garage parking?
No, just parallel and head-in parking.

You let go of the steering wheel, but kept your foot on the brake/gas to control speed.

It was eerie to have the wheel spin by itself while moving (albeit slowly).

HBH

2006 330xi Barrique red, manual transmission
Beige w/Dakota Leather Upholstery
Poplar Natural Wood Trim
Premium package
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Active Cruise Control
Park Distance Control
Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 07 LS460L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmar View Post
No, just parallel and head-in parking.

You let go of the steering wheel, but kept your foot on the brake/gas to control speed.

It was eerie to have the wheel spin by itself while moving (albeit slowly).

HBH
My 2007 LS460L built Sept 2006 and purchased in Dec 2006 had this feature too. LOL I used it may be on two occasions at best and that also to impress my banker and my wife.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Remote parking

I was bummed when my 16 did not have it even though BMW showed it prominently in their videos. I got all of the packages and display key so hopefully it is just a reprogramming issue.
The tech guy at the dealer said that he heard that some keys ended up having this feature.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Just ordered this on my 2017...doubt I will use it much mostly just curious to see it in action.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:39 AM

Self parking

I agree mostly a curiosity but nice to have in a top of the line vehicle
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 AM

There is a meeting about it this week. I saw it in action at the BMW Golf Championship this weekend. Also saw the new 5 series G30 without camo. Admission to the tournament and BMW Owner's Pavilion is a BMW owner benefit.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the update and hope that they make the right decision!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Hilarious that BMWNA restricts many features available to the rest of the word, which we in the US need to have 'coded' to unlock, such as remote closing trunk, remote folding side view mirrors, auto express power windows when door open and rear fog lamps to name a few, yet they allow THIS!? This is BY FAR more dangerous. Very frustrating!!

Last edited by dbs600; 09-13-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
This is BY FAR more dangerous. Very frustrating!!
It looked FAR safer to me. The car even made a mid course correction to get centered. Better than a panicky driver in a space challenged garage hitting the wrong pedal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017 bmw 7 series, 2017 bmw g12, 2017 bmw pricing, 7 series, bmw, bmw g12, bmw news, bmw remote parking, bmw self parking

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search