Notes on a 2014 435i Bavsound Stage 1 speaker kit in a HiFi system - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:33 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Notes on a 2014 435i Bavsound Stage 1 speaker kit in a HiFi system

Bavsound wants a review of their Stage 1 full speaker kit in an OEM HiFi system. Called a friend of mine with a 2015 435i to offer the kit and her impressions. Within 7 seconds she says yes, as she has heard about the Bavsound kit. She's no audiophile, be she knows quite well when an audio system sucks. The HiFi sucks.

Bavsound sends their kit (disclosure: free of charge) and then it is installed the next day...

- 5 mids = front, rear, center
- 2 tweeters = front
- 2 filters = front
- 4 foam barriers = front, rear mids
- 1 tool kit
- 1 damping sheet

Bavsound have plenty of install videos in their site and in YouTube so this will be more about sound quality findings and particular details and notes, and not a proper install thread.

Install kit -a must have:

Front doors:

OEM mid:

Measured 3.8ohms (mid + tweeter + filter) at the OEM component set (this is my 20 year old Radio Shack multimeter, $100,000 collector's item):

Comparison of the OEM tweeter/filter with Bavsound tweeter/filter:

Measured 2.5ohms (mid + tweeter + filter) at the BSW component set:

Bavsound install:

Some damping on the door panels (not showing, at the door lock rod as well):

Rear and center install not photographed.

Notes:

1. Overall, the Bavsound speaker kit is a well-built, quality speaker set. No corners cut, fully PnP, sharp mid cone construction, in-your-face aluminum tweeter frame.

2. Absolutely no issues with the install -as long as you get the tool kit. Everything and all you need is in there. Notice that I do not separate completely the door panel from the doors. There is no need, just have something to rest the door panel at the same height as the door and you can perform the install in one single shot. Be careful with the ambient lighting connector when you rest the panel. It is very delicate.

Full PnP, full tweeter snap into OEM mount. Fool-proof connectors.

3. Center mid requires the removal of the magnet rubber cover. For some strange reason BMW made a very tight center mid mount at its bottom (it is shaped like an ice cream cone) that will cause this Bavsound mid wide ferrite magnet to hit the mount sides at the bottom if its rubber cover is not removed. The OEM mid does not have any problem obviously because it uses a Neo magnet (short and very narrow).

4. How it sounds when install completed?

Clearer at any volume of the OEM amp. Mid improvement is not as significant as the tweeter. That is where this kit fixes this HiFi system. Voices and highs. That was my first impression after the install. After 7-days then I asked my friend for her impression. And it was the same... clarity. The tweeter muddyness was gone. Clarity is here.

Although the impedance of the Bavsound kit is less than OEM, the expectation of an increased loudness from the OEM amp never materialized to any of us. Louder was not the significant improvement, clarity was. To me was expected as the HiFi OEM amp has been changed (for the worse) steadily for the last 4 years. The 2015 HiFi OEM amp is so far the worst -20% smaller and sounds like 20% less power than the 2014 OEM amp.

MY2014 HiFi OEM amp:

MY2015 HiFi OEM amp:

So do not expect a radical increase of loudness from the Bavsound speakers. They seems to be designed to maximize the clarity of the OEM amp. And they fully succeeded in doing so.

What about the Bavsound speakers performance with aftermarket power? If they can maximize the clarity of a mediocre OEM amp, what would be their performance with aftermarket power?

Before this install I tried quickly the BimmerTech PP82DSP PnP amp/DSP with the OEM speakers:

As you can see, no need to remove a single trunk panel... just grab the OEM amp harness, unplug connector, connect PP82DSP, and leave it there for testing.

Replacing the OEM amp still is the most effective sound improvement for the money in the F30. The loudness, punch and stereo separation improvement over the OEM amp is total -with the OEM speakers. OEM speakers react quite well with aftermarket power, however the OEM tweeters mediocrity will be much more apparent if listened closely and at higher volumes. Compared with the Harman Kardon system, this combination of the PP82DSP and OEM speakers would be louder but not comparable in overall sound quality.

Then the Bavsound speakers were installed (OEM woofers kept) first with the OEM amp and then with the PP82DSP. Lets say that after adjusting the PP82DSP for the Bavsound speakers increased clarity this may be the best upgrade for the money, easily exceeding the Harman Kardon system in everything and then some. Midbass from the Bavsound mids is solid between 120Hz and 180Hz. And then the Bavsound tweeters... if clarity was the improvement with the OEM amp, then more power and clarity is something else. The PP82DSP 4000hz and up EQ bands had to be cut in boost as these tweeters are much, much accurate and sensitive than the OEM tweeters. Tight highs, no harshness, just sweet when the music calls for it, bright when demanded.

In conclusion...

- Bavsound speakers with OEM amp: nice increase in clarity. Loudness remains the same in HiFi. If you are on a budget then this is it. Easy install, nice improvement.
- Bavsound speakers with an aftermarket amp: PnP install and immediate and significant increase in clarity and loudness exceeding the OEM Harman Kardon 16-speaker system with just 9 speakers, IMO. If you are sorry for not getting the HK then don't be.

Last edited by Technic; 02-21-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i - Alpine White;
Great write up

2014 F30 - Alpine White, Premium Package, Moon Roof, Suntek CXP Window Tint 35%, Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade, Front and Rear Mud Flaps, ECS Matte Blackout Kidney Grills, Coco Matts and Firestone Serviceguard tires. BMWCCA #502883
Old 07-03-2015, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: Incoming: BMW 328i
Thanks for the review. I plan on doing the amp / speaker upgrade when I get my 328i in August. Couldn't order a MY 2015 so i had to pick one that was already ordered and the one that had everything else had the hifi sound. Good to know I can do this and it'll sound better than the HK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 320i 6MT M Sport
Nice write up, have the BSWs installed. Will seriously think about the amp upgrade.
1988 Black/Recaro Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 5M - garage queen
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi F30
Since the PP82DSP amp is already "tuned" for the F30 and OEM speakers, what is the process of adjusting it's settings to the BSW Stage 1 speakers? Is this something a first-timer could accomplish and are there recommended settings?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M Sport, 6 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirob View Post
Since the PP82DSP amp is already "tuned" for the F30 and OEM speakers, what is the process of adjusting it's settings to the BSW Stage 1 speakers? Is this something a first-timer could accomplish and are there recommended settings?

Nelson at BimmerTech can give you a file for HIFi with BSW Stage One. You can then install it with software or by copying it to a microSD card. The manual says if you insert the microSD card the file will be automatically installed an an LED will flash a couple of times. Then you can remove the card.

Good luck. I just completed my amp installation today. Sounds great with my Stage One.

2013 BMW 328i, Estoril Blue, 6 sp MT, Premium/Tech/Driver Assist + Packages, Bavsound Stage One & Ghost Subs

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Past cars: BMW 535i, BMW 525xi, Saab 9-5 (2), Saab 9-3 (2), Porsche 968 (2), Porsche 944S2, Porsche 944, Saab 900T, BMW 528i, Porsche 924, Karmann Ghia
Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 320xi sport
I just got my BavSound stage 1 upgrade installed today and previously had the bimmertech amp installed. Does anyone have an easy way to update the amp to new settings (i.e. for the Bavsound setup rather than OEM HiFi for which the amp came preinstalled)?? The guys at Bimmertech sent me the link for the amp software download (v2.93) as well as the ".afp" file for the new setup but it still seems complicated. In the amp manual it mentions loading setups directly to amp via microSD but they mention file must be a ".ac1 or .ac2" file. Thanks ahead of time for any help!!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 AM

I went through this a couple of months ago and really wanted to use the SD card until I realized I would have remove most of the trunk again to access it. Additionally , Patryk advised it wasn't as simple as just changing the file suffix. I have Macs and finally gave in and picked up a used Windows 7 machine on eBay and loaded the file Nelson had provided. It was pretty easy to do once I figured out how the software worked. Nelson has a file specifically for the Bavsound setup. I suggest you give that a shot. I am really happy with the results. Btw, I tried to do this with a borrowed Windows 8 machine and couldn't get the software to communicate with the amp.

2013 BMW 328i, Estoril Blue, 6 sp MT, Premium/Tech/Driver Assist + Packages, Bavsound Stage One & Ghost Subs

Past cars: BMW 535i, BMW 525xi, Saab 9-5 (2), Saab 9-3 (2), Porsche 968 (2), Porsche 944S2, Porsche 944, Saab 900T, BMW 528i, Porsche 924, Karmann Ghia

Last edited by chazmink; 11-04-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport
Technic have you reviewed BAV Audio's sub upgrades?

13' 335i -- ZCW ZDH ZMM ZTP ZMT ZPT 688
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericniemeyer View Post
I just got my BavSound stage 1 upgrade installed today and previously had the bimmertech amp installed. Does anyone have an easy way to update the amp to new settings (i.e. for the Bavsound setup rather than OEM HiFi for which the amp came preinstalled)?? The guys at Bimmertech sent me the link for the amp software download (v2.93) as well as the ".afp" file for the new setup but it still seems complicated. In the amp manual it mentions loading setups directly to amp via microSD but they mention file must be a ".ac1 or .ac2" file. Thanks ahead of time for any help!!
Tune files are easier loaded via the included USB cable:

- plug USB cable to unit and to Windows laptop
- open ATF DSP PC-Tool and connect to unit
- once PC-Tool is opened then right-click on Setup A -> select the "afp" file and load it
- for your unit to keep that file in memory select Store DSP

That's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PP82DSP (2).jpg
Views:	302
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	536994  
Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
Technic have you reviewed BAV Audio's sub upgrades?
If you are referring to their new underseat woofers then they are not available yet.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 320xi sport
Thanks! Cant wait to get it all set up. Now just getting to the amp USB port......
Old 11-04-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Cant wait to get it all set up. Now just getting to the amp USB port......

It's a good idea to leave the USB cable they give you connected and coiled up in the wheel well area so you can easily get to it. I bought an extension USB cable so I could set the laptop up on the passenger seat as I fiddled with it. Good luck!

Last edited by chazmink; 11-04-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 320i XDrive
So I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing the BAV and then to have my local high end car audio dealer do the install. I can see me in my driveway cursing the kit and my neighbors looking at me like a maniac

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 AM

You can certainly do that. There are several high end audio shops in the area. That said, why not give it a shot yourself? It's really no that hard. Watch the bavsound video a few times to bolster your courage. Also, as several of us have found, it's not necessary to remove switches or disconnect any wires other than speaker wires. Just set a cardboard box next to the car and set the bottom of the door panel on that.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 320i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
You can certainly do that. There are several high end audio shops in the area. That said, why not give it a shot yourself? It's really no that hard. Watch the bavsound video a few times to bolster your courage. Also, as several of us have found, it's not necessary to remove switches or disconnect any wires other than speaker wires. Just set a cardboard box next to the car and set the bottom of the door panel on that.

Good luck.
Yeah you made a very good point I guess I'm under estimating myself I just don't want to f*** it up worse

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:

There is an online video for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search