New to Forum! Need help on Diesel models for US and best years? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto:
New to Forum! Need help on Diesel models for US and best years?

Well, honestly, i have been an Audi Fan for many years but recently rented a 3 series wagon (Think it was a 318D) in Portugal. OMG! What have I missed? I loved this car for many reasons. 1) The handling was great and not too stiff like some models I have test drove in the US. 2) The cloth seats with lots of bolstering were very comfy (I don't think you can get anything in the States but leather). 3) The ergonomics of every knob in the cockpit was perfect, easy and even the MMI was incredibly intuitive. 4) The automatic transmission (I drive all manuals currently) was much more fun than I expected! The manual mode worked quicker than a true manual shift.

My question: If looking for a used Diesel wagon in the States, which years were facelifted, upgraded MMI, or anything I should be looking for? I am not a fan of sport suspension and big wheels! Will I find a non-sport car with normal size wheels? My local dealer has one with sport line but not sure if that is stiffer. Also, are the cars in Europe tuned differently from a ride standpoint? This car was not stiff but handled flawlessly. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS! I never seemed to like the seats in the US versions when I have looked in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon4snow View Post
Well, honestly, i have been an Audi Fan for many years but recently rented a 3 series wagon (Think it was a 318D) in Portugal. OMG! What have I missed? I loved this car for many reasons. 1) The handling was great and not too stiff like some models I have test drove in the US. 2) The cloth seats with lots of bolstering were very comfy (I don't think you can get anything in the States but leather). 3) The ergonomics of every knob in the cockpit was perfect, easy and even the MMI was incredibly intuitive. 4) The automatic transmission (I drive all manuals currently) was much more fun than I expected! The manual mode worked quicker than a true manual shift.

My question: If looking for a used Diesel wagon in the States, which years were facelifted, upgraded MMI, or anything I should be looking for? I am not a fan of sport suspension and big wheels! Will I find a non-sport car with normal size wheels? My local dealer has one with sport line but not sure if that is stiffer. Also, are the cars in Europe tuned differently from a ride standpoint? This car was not stiff but handled flawlessly. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS! I never seemed to like the seats in the US versions when I have looked in the past.

First of all, BMW does not have MMI. BMW has iDrive, and MMI is copy of iDrive.
Second, best years? Avoid M57 engine (I had it) due to having 1st gen. SCR system.
N47 in 328 is pretty stout and you might have some emission issues, but nothing like in 1st generation SCR. Also, 328d in US is only automatic, unlike in Europe.
I had numerous VW diesels in Europe (owned them) and BMW ones are light years ahead, especially 6 cyl (Audi always had some issues with 6cyl diesels).
Also, N57 diesel is available in 535d after 2011 and X5 2014 and up. If you are dead set on diesel, go for 6cyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Diesel
In The US:
F31 Diesel wagon was made from 2014-2018. Facelift (LCI) is 2016-18. All are 4 cyl N47 with Xdrive.
The very earliest couple months of 2014 shared option structure for MY13. Largely the option structures for 14-17 are the same. MY18 packages got shuffled around because of the mandated backup camera.
PreLCI gives your only option of dynamic handling package or Msport brakes, and your lighting upgrade is Xenon HID.
LCI gives updated suspension mounting, no cost sport package (nice seats! and black headliner), and your lighting upgrade is basic LED through Premium Package, and Adaptive LED with lighting package. Only suspension upgrade is adaptive dampeners which requires MSport. Base suspension is totally fine, sport package cars have base suspension.
All cars are going to come with 17" or 18" wheels unless someone opted for 19s
MY16 has a number of minor interior and exterior enhancements, and is essentially identical to MY17 except 17 has available Apple Carplay and available Wireless Charging. 17 also has an Idrive hardware/software update that allows touchscreen.
Besides the jumbled option packages (careful!!), MY 18 is also identical to the 17 (another software update for Idrive I believe), but has available 6WB digital dash panel, and an optional "shadow sport" model.

There is no model like this available by any manufacturer for the US market past or present, and not many were made. There were a few diesel wagons, and a few diesel AWD cars, but never a diesel wagon with AWD. The fact that this is offered to us in a 3 series chassis is pure gold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Diesel Forum: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/fo...prune=-1&f=154

As of 2018, BMW has abandoned diesels in the USA/CA.
2009-2011 335d (with M57 engine, ZF6HP26 auto)
2009-2014? X5d (also with M57 and 6 speed auto). There's a forum for E70 - take a look as there's a lot of activity.
2014-2018 328d/328xd/328xdt. As noted, they all have the N47 engine, all come with 8 speed. All wagons were "sport wagons" (trim only - no sport suspension.)

BMW also imported a few 535d with N57 engine. Lovely cars, 40 mpg highway. Newer X5's had the N57 also (I think.)

That's it. Only the 335d (rwd only) came with sport/msport suspension. Only 10,000 were imported. Don't know about sport package on X5, or adaptive. Very few 328d had adaptive; all others have "xDrive" suspension, which tends to be a bit softer.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search