Ultimate Noob question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 10-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Ultimate Noob question

If this isn't the correct place for this, I apologize but I wanted to post the ultimate noob question. I have always liked BMWs since I was a kid/teenager in the 80s and would like to get into the world of BMW. But what is the best BMW for me? I am decent with a wrench but no expert. I wouldn't feel a bit comfortable taking a motor apart to rebuild it but I've done things such as put starters on, air compressors, clutch cylinders, etc. I've worked on old cars quite a bit, but old American cars like Mustangs and Trans Ams.

I would say that I was looking for a weekend cruiser. I'm not going to use it as a daily, but if the weather is nice on a Saturday, I'd like to hop in it and take it for a spin. I won't be drifting it but might get it to hang a few curves. I'd love to get a manual but would take an auto if the price and condition were too good to pass up.

As far as styles go, I really like the 80's 300s and 500s all the way up to the mid-nineties (e36s and e39s). I wouldn't want to go later than that (mid-90's) or something from the 70's. As far as price, probably around 5000. Where I am located, you can get a car like I've mentioned in decent shape for that amount that's not a wreck and you can drive it while you start working on maintenance components like suspension and so on.

So what should I be focusing on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 72 Bavaria
Focus on what you like. Mid-80's cars are getting harder to find but be patient and keep looking.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E89 3.0 Stick shift
Think about what you are going to be using it for and pick the model that suits that activity best.
If you're just interested in driving about then a sports car or roadster may be what you want. Or if you want to enjoy going to some activity or event(s) you may need something to haul some gear. BMW makes a model for just anything.
Older cars may be simpler - less bells, whistles, computers. That may be appealing if you are planning on wrenching on your weekender a lot.

E89 3.0 6spd manual
Space Gray Metallic
Bilstein & Sachs suspension
Michelin Pilot 4s NRF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto:
I've had a couple of things come up so I'm going to have to hold off for a little while. However, I have decided that I really like the e34s. I've read that these are something of the pariahs of the 5 series but they tick off the boxes for me. I have found one but it has an issue that I'm not sure about. The back tires sit out to the point that the inside of the tires have rubbed to the belts. The owner says that it's due to the sway bars being off but that doesn't sound correct to me. I'm thinking of something more serious. It's priced well and runs fine. If it's just a matter of switching some suspension components, I wouldn't mind as I would plan to get it and work in it over time and there would be no hurry to get it roadworthy. But if that is indicative of major problems, I want to stay clear. I've attached some pics he sent me of the underside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_508873993011400_1572715588838.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	870635   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2201438156819951_1572715601070.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	870637   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_368974967318628_1572715614483.jpg
Views:	11