7/70,000K timing chain warranty. - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikessc View Post
Look for black connector with GREEN dot on it in the attached photo.
Thanks!

Looking at the photo, it looks like the borescope somehow needs to do a 90-degree turn through a straight circular opening, probably BMW needs to make some special tools.

Also, does the sensor just the plastic part with the green dot, meaning the cylinder part on top cannot be removed?

It looks like that cylinder part needs to be gasket sealed from the inside(and cannot be removed unless VC is off), or else the camshaft sensor area can leak.

Last edited by namelessman; 03-17-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 PM

It looks like a plausible way to examine the plastic guard rail snap on is through the oil filler cap opening, but some special semi-rigid borescope extension bent at the correct angle(s) is needed.

Looking at mikessc's photo of the upper guard rail, and shining flashlight through my oil cap opening, there is a clear path through the 2 plastic loops, towards the snap-on area.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: F10 2012 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Thanks!

Looking at the photo, it looks like the borescope somehow needs to do a 90-degree turn through a straight circular opening, probably BMW needs to make some special tools.

Also, does the sensor just the plastic part with the green dot, meaning the cylinder part on top cannot be removed?

It looks like that cylinder part needs to be gasket sealed from the inside(and cannot be removed unless VC is off), or else the camshaft sensor area can leak.
To remove the sensor, disconnect the connector first.
The sensor is fasten to the bottom of cylinder header near where the connector was located.

Google for following parts number and visit ecstuning site which has images on the parts.
The O-ring cost about USD2 only.

Camshaft Sensor

O-Ring

You can find all the parts number at realoem.

Maybe this attach photo will help you to visualize better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_163140.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	844237  

Last edited by mikessc; 03-17-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Attach photo.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
To remove the sensor, disconnect the connector first.
The sensor is fasten to the bottom of cylinder header near where the connector was located.

Google for following parts number and visit ecstuning site which has images on the parts.
The O-ring cost about USD2 only.

Camshaft Sensor

O-Ring

You can find all the parts number at realoem.
OK this sounds like a good DIY project, thanks for the tips buddy!

In fact, do talk to foremen in your workshop and ask them to publish a SIB to BMW techs worldwide how to examine N20/N26 plastic guard rail snap on through the intake camshaft sensor opening!!!

Last edited by namelessman; 03-17-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: F10 2012 528i
Quote:
OK this sounds like a good DIY project, thanks for the tips buddy!

In fact, do talk to foremen in your workshop and ask them to publish a SIB to BMW techs worldwide how to examine N20/N26 plastic guard rail snap on through the intake camshaft sensor opening!!!
Funny. Ha, ha .....

Maybe the BMW techs already know about this.

Last edited by mikessc; 03-17-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Funny. Ha, ha .....

Maybe the BMW techs already know about this.
Local service techs/foremen only said to "watch" out for the high pitch whining ....

One foreman did suggest any timing chain issue(if bad enough) also would trigger a camshaft timing fault/CEL, so has your car logged any camshaft fault code?

My thinking is the first thing techs will do with camshaft CEL is to replace the sensor, maybe that will be a good time to inspect with borescope.

Last edited by namelessman; 03-18-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi Black Sapphire
Hi All,

I have 2013 528i xdrive. The engine became noisy in end of July 2019, since then the car would make a lot of noises when cold start and kick when shifting on lower gear. Oct 9th 2019,
I made a video of a noise in the morning(it's a lot louder than video shows), drove to work less than 2 miles, and car broke down while entering garage, the brake pedal stuck down, Drivetrain malfunction light is on, when tried to start it would crank and go up to 300-400rpm on tachometer, but that's it. Towed to the nearest shop they said it's timing chain issue, googled everything about it, 3 days ago took the car to BMW dealer. I'm still waiting them to diagnose and everything (taking 3 days?!).
If it's timing chain, then I should be covered under 7/70(mine is 6.9 years and 65k).
Will update this post along the progress

Old 10-17-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buuza33 View Post
Hi All,

I have 2013 528i xdrive. The engine became noisy in end of July 2019, since then the car would make a lot of noises when cold start and kick when shifting on lower gear. Oct 9th 2019,
I made a video of a noise in the morning(it's a lot louder than video shows), drove to work less than 2 miles, and car broke down while entering garage, the brake pedal stuck down, Drivetrain malfunction light is on, when tried to start it would crank and go up to 300-400rpm on tachometer, but that's it. Towed to the nearest shop they said it's timing chain issue, googled everything about it, 3 days ago took the car to BMW dealer. I'm still waiting them to diagnose and everything (taking 3 days?!).
If it's timing chain, then I should be covered under 7/70(mine is 6.9 years and 65k).
Wow just in time repair! The video sounds like droning(somewhat noisy background?), so is there a high pitch whining starting in July? How many miles from first warning(a lots of noises) in July to drivetrain malfunction? Is there a CEL triggered?
Old 10-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Wow just in time repair! The video sounds like droning(somewhat noisy background?), so is there a high pitch whining starting in July? How many miles from first warning(a lots of noises) in July to drivetrain malfunction? Is there a CEL triggered?
I only saw 'Drivetrain malfunction' once in September, drove about 2-3k since July, but noise was always there when cold start since July. No CEL light
Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I only saw 'Drivetrain malfunction' once in September, drove about 2-3k since July, but noise was always there when cold start since July. No CEL light
Thanks for feedback. This is first time gas pedal is mentioned for TC failure, maybe the ECU can detect camshaft timing issue an shut down engine preemptively to avoid further engine damage.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for feedback. This is first time gas pedal is mentioned for TC failure, maybe the ECU can detect camshaft timing issue an shut down engine preemptively to avoid further engine damage.
The pedal stuck because i was going downhill, slowly entering garage. that's when it happened
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Just spoke with the SA at bmw dealership, they confirmed the timing chain failure (BINGO!).
BMW NA will take a look at the photos and confirm if it's either engine replacement or just a timing chain fix. Hoping for a new engine

2013 bmw 528i xdrive, 65k

UPDATE: bmw will install new engine

Last edited by buuza33; 10-22-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: upd
Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Just spoke with the SA at bmw dealership, they confirmed the timing chain failure (BINGO!).
BMW NA will take a look at the photos and confirm if it's either engine replacement or just a timing chain fix. Hoping for a new engine

2013 bmw 528i xdrive, 65k

UPDATE: bmw will install new engine
That is a great outcome, and just-in-time!
Old 11-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
That is a great outcome, and just-in-time!
There are more to this story, now the dealer saying that after new engine installed, transmission won't shift and there are problems with the turbo.
These repair are out of pocket...
Old 11-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
There are more to this story, now the dealer saying that after new engine installed, transmission won't shift and there are problems with the turbo.
That is unfortunate, given whole engine has been replaced, and turbo/transmission needs to be disconnected, my take is dealer needs to take care of those too without incurring extra costs to customers.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That is unfortunate, given whole engine has been replaced, and turbo/transmission needs to be disconnected, my take is dealer needs to take care of those too without incurring extra costs to customers.
Well, good news, dealer says transmission and turbo was broken before timing chain, but how do you brake timing chain if your transmission and turbo not working?? He had no answer

So, the estimate he gave me was: $12.5k for transmission, $4.3k for turbo

What you think it is?)
Old 11-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Well, good news, dealer says transmission and turbo was broken before timing chain, but how do you brake timing chain if your transmission and turbo not working?? He had no answer

So, the estimate he gave me was: $12.5k for transmission, $4.3k for turbo

What you think it is?)
Forum posts about N20/N26 timing chain issues virtually have zero reference to transmission/turbo, it is unclear if BMWNA will cover this or not under TC ELW.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci Sport Coupe
Get another opinion...
Old 11-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
"Bait and switch" comes to mind. Dealer obviously damaged transmission when they replaced the engine. If Turbo is faulty, find out the time stamp on that error code. In fact, demand a time stamp for all error codes on your car. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
"Bait and switch" comes to mind. Dealer obviously damaged transmission when they replaced the engine. If Turbo is faulty, find out the time stamp on that error code. In fact, demand a time stamp for all error codes on your car. Good luck.
Is it even possible to damage transmission and turbo while replacing an engine?

The dealer won't give any fault codes and timestamps, simply ignoring me
Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 AM

It's always possible to damage something or more likely install incorrectly, although messing up both would be highly unlikely in my opinion unless the shop was really incompetent. My one question to potentially expose them is was the replacement engine a traditional "long block" or something else. My replacement engine came with a turbo.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i e60 5 serie
I donít get it, I have 125k miles on my n26. 2013 f30 build. Change oil and filter every 5k. Auto start/stop is turned off. Never had an issue with my timing chain and guide. I feel like so many people are getting taken for a ride over this issue, honestly. This also sounds like a bait and switch tactic ....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Mine had 117K and I can attest to the damage that happens if the guide comes apart; I saw the piece that broke. In my opinion, you're sitting on a ticking time bomb if your car is before the guide update. I just don't know when that happened.

As to the turbo and tranny, I agree and will repeat what I said above: Get another opinion. If they screwed something up during the install, I wouldn't trust them to fix it.

Last edited by lyleswk; 11-13-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i e60 5 serie
What was your oil change interval??? Did you use auto start/stop? How much damage? How much to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Recommended BMW internals with Castrol synthetic. Twice done by the dealer, twice by myself. Before I bought it from my dealer, it was maintained by a nearby dealer per BMW recommendations. Checked all that before I bought the car...I have a very good relationship with my local dealer.

Can't answer the question on start/stop. My son drove the car and he never mentioned it. It isn't on now and I never changed it, but that may have reset when we disconnected the battery for the engine swap.

I purchased a salvaged engine from a 2013 model with 55K miles. My dealer maintained that car from first sell until it was wrecked (checked via the VIN). I replaced the timing chain guide and the oil supply line before I installed in my car. Engine cost me 3250, install was 1200, and new parts were about 400, so about 5000.

Last edited by lyleswk; 11-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search