Best handheld OBD scan tool for E70 35d - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL15 View Post
I don't recall seeing anything about coding TPMS in the service menu & I highly doubt it has this capability.

It's a handheld scan tool w/ just about all of the commonly needed SERVICE functions for stuff that needs replacement / reset / relearning / VIN coding, & as well as a few test functions (assuming your model / year is supported); it's definitely not a replacement for ISTA for diagnostics, nor NCS for coding. It can not code in or out functions / modules / features that are stock, or not stock, on the vehicle.

Thank you. I was afraid of that.

02- 530-Blown
10-X5 35D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
I went with non RF tires and need to code the TPMS out.
Thanks.
Why?

Changing tire type is not a reason to disable TPMS.

removing TPMS sensors is...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 04-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Why?

Changing tire type is not a reason to disable TPMS.

removing TPMS sensors is...
You've got me

I don't have TPMS any more.

02- 530-Blown
10-X5 35D
Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d (E70)
I'm piggy backing on what others have said about the Foxwell brand diagnostic tester.
I've had my NT510 for 3 years now and used it mainly on my Land Rovers. Last year I finally added the BMW/Mini/Rolls app to it for and additional $70 and a month later they came out with the newer NT520.
It's been very good for fault diagnosing and clearing codes for my Wife's X5. The only problem that I have found that it doesn't recognize her X5 automatically and when I manually enter the VIN number. It states I entered an invalid VIN number. The easy way around this is to locate X5 (E70) on the menu to get 'er going.
Not bad for a cheapo diagnostic tester.

2011 BMW X5 E70 35D (NAS), 90K miles
2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 SE (NAS), V8, 110K miles w/ +2" lift
1998 LR Discovery SE7 (RHD) - Sold
1967 Jaguar 420 (RHD) - Sold
*UltraGauge Blue OBD monitor, Foxwell NT510 & Nanocom Evolution diagnostic tools

Last edited by JUKE179r; 04-29-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Expert Crate Digger

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d (E70)
Here is are pics from my Foxwell NT510 of the SCR tank system's active and passive tank levels:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foxwell.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	851651  

2011 BMW X5 E70 35D (NAS), 90K miles
2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 SE (NAS), V8, 110K miles w/ +2" lift
1998 LR Discovery SE7 (RHD) - Sold
1967 Jaguar 420 (RHD) - Sold
*UltraGauge Blue OBD monitor, Foxwell NT510 & Nanocom Evolution diagnostic tools
Old 05-13-2019, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Here is are pics from my Foxwell NT510 of the SCR tank system's active and passive tank levels:
"Temperature of Active Tank: 128 Degrees Celsius" is not a reasonable value, DEF would boil
Old 05-14-2019, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Quick Update:

Lots more live data measurements can be accessed in the OBDII menu... I mistakenly thought that the BMW specific application on the NT520 was going to be more comprehensive, so never really checked out the OBDII portion of the scanner.

Useful measurements in the OBDII section that are commonly needed for troubleshooting (Not comprehensive, just what I can remember):

- Exhaust Manifold Pressure (Absolute in PSI)
- Requested vs Actual Manifold Boost Pressure (Absolute in PSI)
- HP fuel pressure requested vs actual (Gauge in PSI)
- DPF Differential Pressure (in PSI)
- All EGT temp sensors
- LP and HP EGR %
- Foot Pedal (Throttle Position), both sensors
- Emissions monitor status
- From the looks of it, all the other PID's that Torque Pro can read & display

Overall, still quite happy with the Foxwell NT520 Pro. One thing it is not the best solution for is live data monitoring & charting, where an OBDII USB or Bluetooth dongle w/ a capable mobile application would be a superior solution.

For DIY home mechanic use to reset & perform adaptations on a ton of different modules, carry out standard maintenance procedures (eg cycle ABS unit for bleeding, reset CBS, DPF Regen, auto wiper calibration, actuate / bleed fuel system after filter replacement, test throttle valve, & more), as well as VIN code replacement parts (eq transmission Control Unit, Transfer Case Controller); quite a bit more convenient than lugging out the laptop & USB Dongle for ISTA, connecting my 75A amp power supply to the battery, then crossing my fingers that the FRM module doesn't somehow get bricked in the process. This thing stays in my X5 in the rear driver's side drug compartment.

The live data monitoring features are adequate in a pinch, but there are far better options if the issue isn't obvious.

Last edited by SPL15; 05-14-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 525iTA
Great sequence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL15 View Post
Follow up.

Replacing intake manifold MAP sensor fixed issue without further fuss. No codes at all after replacing just this sensor & doing nothing else; engine is VERY noticeably stronger between 1K-2K RPM as well, which has completely gotten rid of the weird / jerky low throttle 1 - 2 gear shift I was attributing to the transmission.

520 Pro does not appear to scale the MAP sensor's output data correctly, as it sits at 146 or so PSI at idle...
For troubleshooting on a 520 Pro: On a functioning sensor, it responds very quickly according to throttle input, whereas my bad sensor was stuck at 46.3 PSI with +-0.1 or so deviation regardless of throttle input.

Replaced exhaust pressure sensor & the pressure line to the exhaust this evening, as well as removed intake manifold to clean EGR & Anti-shutter valve. VERY easy to remove intake manifold, probably the easiest one on any car I've ever owned. No noticeable improvement in perceived engine power / performance after the above "extra" things I did; however, it was only a 2 mile drive on a cold engine, so I didn't push things hard at all.

EGR valve was surprisingly clean w/ minor CBU on the EGR cooler side of the valve & pretty much bare metal inside of the valve except for the shaft support area & the valve itself; however, the shaft did feel a slight bit sticky when pushing it in (slightly slow to release back out). Anti-shudder valve was in great shape, w/ barely a light hazing of carbon dust on the trailing edges of the plate w/ completely bare metal on the housing & the rest of the plate.

Pretty sure my engine has had a CBU cleaning & HP EGR system replacement in the recent past as the intake runners were CLEAN, the swirl flaps only had a minor dusting (like the anti-shudder valve). Inside the intake manifold was nothing to be alarmed about at all.
Lower runners were bare cast aluminum as far down as I could see w/ zero build up (only a light oil coating). Upper runners thru valve cover were 95% bare plastic w/ a light oil coating, except for a few minor patches of CBU (Looks like it's been cleaned as the small CBU patches were about 1 - 2mm thick & the edges were abrupt & squared off as if they'd been scraped at a bit). Didn't have anything to look at the valves & stems themselves, but I'm ASSuming they're in similar condition to the rest of the intake. Once summer comes, the valve cover is coming off to do a pre-emptive valve cover gasket replacement, along w/ oil filter housing gasket & oil cooler gasket, before they start leaking, as every BMW does and / or eventually will at high mileage...

I'm really liking this X5d more & more.
Thank you for a great collection of write ups on the FOXWELL and it’s use. I own a 09 35d w/155K and I need to get rid of the annoying DPF “end of life” Message which has nothing to do with actual operation and.performance. Regards
Old 11-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 M3, 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnoio View Post
Thank you for a great collection of write ups on the FOXWELL and it’s use. I own a 09 35d w/155K and I need to get rid of the annoying DPF “end of life” Message which has nothing to do with actual operation and.performance. Regards
I don't think that it will get rid of that message.

You'll need something like ISTA/D in order to set the DPF as replaced. This will reset your Ash Mass to 0. So you might want to record your current value before resetting for later use.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubledGnome View Post
I don't think that it will get rid of that message.

You'll need something like ISTA/D in order to set the DPF as replaced. This will reset your Ash Mass to 0. So you might want to record your current value before resetting for later use.
The Foxwell NT520 can register a DPF replacement, which will reset and get rid of the DPF end of life codes, as well as the 10 minute warning after engine start.

Wouldn't recommend registering a replaced DPF unless the DPF was actually replaced, as a new DPF has a different regeneration cycle than an old one. A new DPF has a less aggressive regeneration cycle, where registering a reset could lead to an old unit permanently clogging up much quicker than it otherwise would've w/ the proper end of life regeneration cycle.

Would especially recommend not doing it if the purpose is to defraud potential buyers of the car. If this is the case, for anyone, then I hope lawyers become involved where you lose your ass
Old 11-15-2019, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto:
I have been using Foxwell NT510 on my 2018 BMW 3 Series/M3 and it works just perfect for me.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search