New X7 problems - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X7 (2019 - Current)

X7 (2019 - Current)
The BMW X7 is a sport utility vehicle manufactured by BMW. It is BMW's flagship Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)

Old 05-03-2019, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto:
New X7 problems

Hi all, am new to this forum. I'd like your thoughts on these issues I'm having.

Got my brand new X7 four weeks ago. 2 days afterwards I got a stone chip in my windshield. Was repaired at Safelight. Since then I have had no less than 7 stone chips, at various points all over the windshield, including the opposite side where the first one was. Took it back to the dealership but they say there is nothing they can do as warranty does not include windshield. Said it was normal wear and tear. Btw, the car has less than 1000 miles on the clock. Complained to BMW customer service who backed dealership and said there is nothing they can do. I'm so angry as I believe the windshield is defective but they say it isn't.

Secondly, am having problems with the media/ entertainment system. Apple car play is constantly glitching, meaning I can't play music from my phone without it cutting out every ten seconds or so. Also plays music from the radio over my phone music. The navigation system keeps going haywire and the map in the console is upside down. Reported all this to dealership, they took it in and checked it all, said they could not find any faults but they did reset the software. I just got it back today and it is glitching again. Dealership claims it's a fault with Apple play and that it's because I have an iPhone X. Anyone heard of this? I'm beyond frustrated.

Last edited by Suz16; 05-03-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
It will be annoying but keep bringing it back to let them know the issues/you are not going away. get a paper trail record going at the dealership. You should not have to deal with things not being fixed when under warranty. Did the navigation/entertainment issues start before or after the new windshield?

As for the windshield. Did Safelite replace the windshield with a BMW OE windshield?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Stone chips in the windshield suggest also that you may be suffering dings and pits in your frontal paint. Take a look.

Before or after the windshield is a good question! I would not - will not - use SafeLite. BMW's windscreen replacement procedures are precise and exacting. See www.NewTIS.info
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
7 STONE CHIPS in ONE MONTH!! With such a "tall" SAV?!? Yikes?
Where are you driving? Following trucks, construction / road grading - paving equipment too closely?
You should certainly check your front body panels and lights for damage.
If replacing the W/S is determined necessary DEFINITELY have a BMW shop handle the work - it's not likely one of the quick-repair shops will even have the glass & the training to handle properly. If additional damage is noted (bodywork/lights, etc) you might get some financial assistance by submitting as ONE comprehensive claim on your auto policy.

(BTW - this is your first post ... where are you? Update your profile ... it'll help forum posters do a better job of helping you.)
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto:
I'm in Northern NJ. Driving on mainly local roads, occasional freeway use. Certainly not following trucks too closely as I got the intelligent driving upgrade which warns you when you are driving too close to the vehicle in front.

Before this I had an Infinity QX80, had it for six years driving the same roads and never got one single stone chip. I've only ever had two the whole time I've been living in NJ, which is 10 years. So I refuse to believe this is normal wear and tear. The windshield is clearly defective and very poor quality but neither BMW nor the dealership will admit this.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Oh, and the only reason I took it to Safelite is because I was told by the dealership that they no longer replace chips there, just the full windshield. Obviously if I decide to replace the windshield I would not have it fitted by anyone other than BMW.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz16 View Post
BMW does not make the windshield.

The windshield is clearly defective and very poor quality but neither BMW nor the dealership will admit this.
Modern windshields are safety devices just like seat belts and air bags. Safety defects should be reported at SaferCar.gov

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-03-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Ziggy.

Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
Bmw tech here, we have been seeing a loooooooot of issues with the new G series cars and Iphones, loads of connectivity issues with bluetooth/carplay the new iphone update 13.XX is supposed to help a lot when it comes out. But ive also replaced a couple headunits and programmed cars due to having HU-H reset faults. I think theres a bulletin for the G01's but not sure if it also applies to the X7s. But if i was workin on your car id probably program it then send you on your way. and if you continue to have issues id replace the head unit.

Make sure your phone is completely up to date software wise, completely delete both phone from vehicle and vehicle from phone then restart phone like 5 times. then try to repair and see if that helps at all
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Hi all, am new to this forum. I'd like your thoughts on these issues I'm having.

Got my brand new X7 four weeks ago. 2 days afterwards I got a stone chip in my windshield. Was repaired at Safelight. Since then I have had no less than 7 stone chips, at various points all over the windshield, including the opposite side where the first one was. Took it back to the dealership but they say there is nothing they can do as warranty does not include windshield. Said it was normal wear and tear. Btw, the car has less than 1000 miles on the clock. Complained to BMW customer service who backed dealership and said there is nothing they can do. I'm so angry as I believe the windshield is defective but they say it isn't.

Secondly, am having problems with the media/ entertainment system. Apple car play is constantly glitching, meaning I can't play music from my phone without it cutting out every ten seconds or so. Also plays music from the radio over my phone music. The navigation system keeps going haywire and the map in the console is upside down. Reported all this to dealership, they took it in and checked it all, said they could not find any faults but they did reset the software. I just got it back today and it is glitching again. Dealership claims it's a fault with Apple play and that it's because I have an iPhone X. Anyone heard of this? I'm beyond frustrated.

Windshield chips..... Between 2014-2016 hubby and I went through 6 (yes, 6) windshields because of rocks hitting and cracking the windshield, now, I might have jinxed us, but we haven't had a problem in 3 years..

BMW and Apple Car Play is a joke, my 330i has it and I don't used it. If there was a class action law suit against BMW for this I'd be part of it, it is glitchy... Now, hubby has a 2018 Honda CR-V with Apple Car Play and it works flawless never an issue... So apple car play works when a manufacture spends the money on it.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 05-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Oh, and the only reason I took it to Safelite is because I was told by the dealership that they no longer replace chips there, just the full windshield. Obviously if I decide to replace the windshield I would not have it fitted by anyone other than BMW.
This whole safelite v dealer crap.... On my first windshield took it to the dealer, they told me they do not replace windshields, called insurance company, safelite came out with a OEM windshield... All 6 have been installed by safelite and never had a problem. They come to your house or office and do the work. Auto high beams work, as well Auto wipers and no air leaks or water.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to SS Send a message via Yahoo to SS
Mein Auto: 650iC/X5 4.8/545i/330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
This whole safelite v dealer crap.... On my first windshield took it to the dealer, they told me they do not replace windshields, called insurance company, safelite came out with a OEM windshield... All 6 have been installed by safelite and never had a problem. They come to your house or office and do the work. Auto high beams work, as well Auto wipers and no air leaks or water.
No offense to anyone here, but, I agree! In fact, my BMW Dealership very specifically uses Safelite, and I personally haven't had any problems with them (given at least five replacements). Always aim for OE, though.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Nuclear engineer

Replace windscreen. BMW G07 X7 NewTIS 29 steps, of course only for the meticulous BMW

Home / BMW G07 X7 xDrive40i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 51 Body equipment / 51 31 Front and rear window / 51 31 011 Replace windscreen

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...dow/1VndPXnqK6

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...indow/HHsM71fO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NewTIS
The windscreen, rear window and side windows are glued to the body. This bonding will increase the torsional rigidity of the vehicle. To obtain perfect bonding, comply with the installation procedure described in the following.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: F12 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
No offense to anyone here, but, I agree! In fact, my BMW Dealership very specifically uses Safelite, and I personally haven't had any problems with them (given at least five replacements). Always aim for OE, though.

Had the windshield on our F15 replaced by Safelite since my dealer won't do those. They used an OEM windshield. The guy got out of his car with three tools in hand, the exact tools needed to disassemble the mirror and camera. Had it replaced in no time and he let me watch and explained everything as he was doing it. He said he seldom sees BMW's that have to be recalibrated after a windshield repair while Audi's frequently have to go back to the dealer. The Safelite tech even took the time to transfer my inspection sticker to the new windshield.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
2012 650i xDrive M-Sport Convertible, Carbon Black Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Interior (PCD) (retired)
2009 X5 xDrive48i, Space Gray Metallic, Sand Beige interior (retired)
2008 335i Convertible, Monaco Blue Metallic, Saddle Brown interior (retired)
Old 09-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Boom! agreed
Old 09-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Double Boom
Old 09-25-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Home / BMW G07 X7 xDrive40i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 51 Body equipment / 51 31 Front and rear window / 51 31 011 Replace windscreen

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...indow/HHsM71fO

And you think a company (safelight)-whose sole service is windshield replacement, is somehow not privy to this information? Come on man. I bet an average safelight technician will do a better job of window replacement than a tech at BMW...simply because they have more practice in the trade. Argumentum ad Ignorantiam
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Just picked up mine today and dropped it off for the full wrap + windshield protection film + nano tint. Will post my results in a few weeks.

Last edited by eternalthinker; 11-03-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
Interesting reading this. Have owned numerous X5's over the past ten years and thought I would check out the new X7. Quit BMW totally a few years ago out of frustration with the annoying nits that always seemed to come up and cause my X5's to have to go back to the dealership for multiple days, often to come back with the same problem. No offense to anyone but hell will freeze over before I come back to the fold.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X7 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search