Anyone gone from S Class to 7 Series - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Anyone gone from S Class to 7 Series

Recently ended a lease on a 2016 S-Class MB and purchased a 2020 740i.
So far, I think they are comparable cars. Some things I like better in the
S-Class and some things better in the 7 Series.
What do all of you think?
Thanks
Texas42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 750ix 2019 X3 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas42 View Post
Thanks
Texas42
I like BMW ergonomics especially electronics, way better than MB. BMW Nav easier to use and more accurate. BMW handling is crisper, esp if you have IAS. MB interior somewhat nicer, MB fit and finish excellent. Paintwork comparable. MB safety systems more intrusive, more likely to take control, BMW's more of reminder for driver paying attention (thinking lane departure in particular).

From my reading of the forums, MB dealers more consistent and generally good, while BMW has some really good and some not so. But that is anecdotal.

My wife put it this way, "I'd rather be a pasenger in a Mercedes and a driver in a BMW."
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3 (F31, others), 5 (E39, E61 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (even a Nash Rambler)(yes I am old )
Old 10-29-2019, 10:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, M Roadster,MB S550
I went from a 2016 S550 4 matic to a 2019 740i. Both are great cars but there are pros and cons. Here are my observations:

1. The six in the 740 is a great engine, not quite as potent as the S550 but still quick, smooth and quiet along with being 25% more fuel efficient than the S.

2. Both cars have great transmissions with perhaps a slight edge for the 7.

3. Its in the details where I think the S class is far superior. A few examples: ventilated seats in the 7 are terrible, I live in a hot climate, these seats don*t work nearly as well as the Benz and, when you turn them on they blow hot air on your neck! The climate controls in the 7 are poor, tiny buttons, hard to use and easy change unintentionally. The A/C is not as powerful as the S. The air mixing controls are touch and truly awful, the slightest touch moves them and they are easy to touch inadvertently. I*m constantly having to adjust the system, a real pain. The windshield washer system in the S is the best Ive seen, the 7 ok but not as good. The standard Burmeister system in the Benz is superior to the HK in the 7. I also think the displays in the S are superior as well as all the manual controls. Ride and handling are excellent on both cars bearing in mind they are luxury rides, not sports sedans.

Both are fine machines. I went with the 7 because the discount was 20k and it was considerably less than an S, even the S450 which is the direct competitor. Test driving the 7, i was impressed with the basics, but failed to pick up on subsequent beefs. Thus, I regret the decision and will probably get the 7 up on Swapalease soon. Over the last years, I*ve been fortunate to have driven some great machines, From Audi, BMW and MB. My favorite is the current S Class YMMV!

Last edited by A8540TDI; 10-29-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 S560
I went from a 2012 750 to a 2015 S550 to a 2017 740e and now a 2019 S560. I only went with the 2 7 series because of cost- each one was way over $20k off new which made the numbers vs the S class really cheap. After the first 6 months in each 7 I quickly realized I got what I paid for. It's hard to put an exact finger on it but the S class just feels much more luxurious. The seats are words apart, I hated the church pews in the 740. I do miss some functionality of the idrive as it is certainly better than MB's command. I was 2 years into my 7 lease a few months ago when my wife and I went out for dinner one night. She got in the car and turned to me and said "when are you getting another S class? As she is a totally non-car person, I turned and said whaaaat? She simply said "This car just isn't an S class and you really deserve something better). I've learned to not argue with my wife so I sent a text to my old salesperson and he dropped a new 560 off 2 days later lol....
2015 S550 (gone)
2013 SL63 (gone)
2012 750IL (gone)
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Law Enforcer

Mein Auto: 2017 Indv. Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Thanks
Texas42

I'm curious about what you liked better about the S-Class and what you liked better about the 7-Series.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto:
Rather lengthy reply, but here goes
Outside Appearance; Front the sides both equal, from the back give the edge to BMW, from the front give the edge to MB
Inside Appearance; MB appears a bit more plush, BMW a bit more functional.
Seats; To us the BMW feels better when we are seated, we always thought the MB seats were hard.
Computer System; BMW far and away better, easier to use, easier to see. And you can customize it to individual preferences with the widgets.
Brake Dust; the MB was terrible about this. Drive 25, 30 miles in medium traffic and the MB wheels would have a coating of brake dust, doesn't seem anyway near as bad on BMW.
Driver Assistance; As others have stated MB a bit more intrusive, BMW more of a reminder, also the adaptive cruise control in BMW easier to use, adjust.
Seat Heating/Cooling; Can't comment because we haven't used this feature in BMW yet and rarely used this in MB.
Cabin Temperature; so far the systems appear to be equal, like the ability to regulate the upper vent temperature with the slider in BMW.
Radio Sound; Both were stock sound systems, We give the edge to BMW and the BMW is a little more adjustable to individual preferences.
Little Things Included with Sale: BMW includes more things with the sale than MB, like Real Time Traffic, Vehicle Maintenance etc.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Rather lengthy reply, but here goes
Outside Appearance; Front the sides both equal, from the back give the edge to BMW, from the front give the edge to MB
Inside Appearance; MB appears a bit more plush, BMW a bit more functional.
Seats; To us the BMW feels better when we are seated, we always thought the MB seats were hard.
Computer System; BMW far and away better, easier to use, easier to see. And you can customize it to individual preferences with the widgets.
Brake Dust; the MB was terrible about this. Drive 25, 30 miles in medium traffic and the MB wheels would have a coating of brake dust, doesn't seem anyway near as bad on BMW.
Driver Assistance; As others have stated MB a bit more intrusive, BMW more of a reminder, also the adaptive cruise control in BMW easier to use, adjust.
Seat Heating/Cooling; Can't comment because we haven't used this feature in BMW yet and rarely used this in MB.
Cabin Temperature; so far the systems appear to be equal, like the ability to regulate the upper vent temperature with the slider in BMW.
Radio Sound; Both were stock sound systems, We give the edge to BMW and the BMW is a little more adjustable to individual preferences.
Little Things Included with Sale: BMW includes more things with the sale than MB, like Real Time Traffic, Vehicle Maintenance etc.
I forgot Ride and Handling.
Both cars ride very well and are equal, However, the BMW handles/drives a little better to us.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I forgot Ride and Handling.
Both cars ride very well and are equal, However, the BMW handles/drives a little better to us.
Ride and handling are #1 on my list of why 7 over S. Electronics # 2.

MB styling is classic and more conservative. I am not a fan of the big grill on my 2020; otherwise I like the LCI changes a lot.

Fact is, buying either a 7 or an S, assuming you can afford it, can never be a mistake. They are both super cars.
'19 G01 X3 30
Past: 3 (F31, others), 5 (E39, E61 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (even a Nash Rambler)(yes I am old )
Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: F02
I've driven both for a few days.

Both are great cars. Hard to choose which is better.

One thing I dislike about the s-class is the Burmester treble is too harsh.

I-Drive is more intuitive.

Build quality is about the same.

MB has more engine options I believe.

Bmw pricing is a little more affordable. I'v

2018 Lexus LS500 (current)
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo SS (current)
2018 BMW X6
2016 Chevy Corvette
2012 BMW 750Li
2014 Lexus GS350
2013 Lexus ES350
2010 Nissan Maxima
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2006 Dodge Charger SXT
1990 BMW 735i
Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 S560
Quote:
That's the second time I've heard someone say they liked the 7 seats better than the S class- but they said they preferred BMW's firmer profile. My S560 seats are massively softer than the church pews my 7 came with. We are worlds apart on this...
2015 S550 (gone)
2013 SL63 (gone)
2012 750IL (gone)
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 7-Series
They're very similar. Two different variations on the same theme.

The road in the 7 feels "higher resolution" than in the S. It's not rough or harsh, but I have a better sense of what's going on. That translates in to better handling.

As far as feeling "special". I find the S-Class interior design more successful. The 7's interior is more formal, and is more sensitive to color and trim.

I have a burgundy/black Individual Merino interior with a chestnut wood trim with a wooden inlay, and it looks just as good as any S-Class interior, including the higher-end Designo. However, I've also seen 7s in lower-spec tan or "camel" interiors, or just outright black, and they look half a class below the S in similar spec.

The 7's interior is higher quality though. There are nicer materials, and more of them in more places. The feeling is more solid as well.

When a lot of people say things like "it just doesn't 'feel' as special" or "yeah, but it's no S-Class" or "it just isn't an S-Class", they're really responding to the interior design and the reputation. Keep that in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GroupMe_2019111_101458.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	870527  
Old 11-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li X Drive Indiv
Those that say BMW 7 doesn't feel like an S Class - should consider sitting in a 7 with the upgraded leather (The Merino - not the nappa).

The interior styling is more conservative in the 7 than the S - but also has a possibly more modern look - but that's totally subjective.

Base 740s and 750s feel like plastic interior. Upgraded leather / 760s are the exception. That's what I always felt. My dad had an E38 740iL protection and the next generation 2014 750Li Individual. Amazing cars.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li X Drive Indiv
BMW Individual Tartufo Leather on the 7 series makes the interior completely on par with anything Mercedes' Designo division can put out there. An opinion I have always held.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
We have both. Honestly I think it's a matter of preference. Wife drives the S550 mostly and I drive the 7. Where the 7 wins is total drive experience and technology. If you want a strictly plush ride, the s class wins.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
That's the second time I've heard someone say they liked the 7 seats better than the S class- but they said they preferred BMW's firmer profile. My S560 seats are massively softer than the church pews my 7 came with. We are worlds apart on this...

Enough of your church pews comment every chance you get. The BMW seats are great. Maybe next time buy the 760 with full merino leather than the 80k 740 you bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-15-2019, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
I think they are very similar cars, but each of them is geared toward 2 very different types of drivers. And the way you guys described their safety systems tells you everything.

S - would be happy having the car drive itself most of the time

7 - would much rather be the one driving most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLREDHD View Post
I think they are very similar cars, but each of them is geared toward 2 very different types of drivers. And the way you guys described their safety systems tells you everything.

S - would be happy having the car drive itself most of the time

7 - would much rather be the one driving most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. The MB approach is to take control and the BMW approach is to give the driver assistance, but leave the driver in charge.
'19 G01 X3 30
Old 11-28-2019, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Another thing to consider:

7 offers a 4-wheel steering option (Integral Active Steering). S doesn't.
7 offers Active Drive Comfort with Road Preview on Xdrive models. S offers a similar option (Magic Body Control) but only on RWD models.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search