Transmission Leak - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 318ti
Transmission Leak

So I recently bought a 35D love it so far aside from fixing the common issues... Anyways took off the transmission skid plate and discoed I had some oil buildup. I thought at first it was engine oil as I did seem to have a leak at the swirl flaps and turbo feed line. Both replaced I still have a leak... it takes about two weeks to get the volume shown in the picture... but I can't for the life of me find it.. I'm thinking unfortunately that its trans fluid as its very gold and has almost no smell. Having said that, I still don't know where it could be leaking from other than the input shaft seal.. what else is around the bell housing ? am I missing something ? any insight would be much appreciated. there is 175 000 km on this X5 btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5668.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	871561  

Last edited by applecrisp; 11-09-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 528i 2010
Your almost 103k miles where as you suppose to do service in transmission.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Gold and no smell? I have to admit I have not looked nor smelled zf6 fluid but I recall auto trans fluid to be reddish and having a distinct smell. This is the first automatic BMW I've ever had (out of 13 others in 22 years) and I have not done the service myself so it's possible that the ZF6 is as you describe but now I'm intrigued.

As stated, you're past due for a service. ZF recommends service every 80 to 120k km which works out to every 50 to 80k miles. One thing that is fairly common on that transmission is to have failed seals on the mechatronics sleeve. If the leak is from the transmission, my money is on that. Have the transmission fluid and filter (the whole pan) serviced and replace the mechatronics sleeve / seals at the same time if you intend to keep the car another 100k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. The reason I discovered it is because I was about to start a trans service. (Filter, sleeve, bridge seal etc.). I can't say for certain that it hasn't been serviced... I sadly highly doubt it's the sealing Sleeve because then there would be oil on the pan too I would think. I guess I'll see what colour comes out when I drain it. This is also my first auto and yes most of my manuals have had a very strong hydrocarbon smell. We shall see!

I just don't feel like pulling the tranny to fix an input seal ***x1f624;.

If I'm missing anything in terms of leak locations please correct me !
Old 11-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
The mechatronics sleeve is at the rear, passenger side of the transmission.

The oil you see could also come from the oil pan gasket section inside the bell housing. Also a lange job to fix, but a very different one from the rear main seal. Also possible is a leak higher up that just seeps down (valve cover gasket, and isnít the vacuum pump at the rear of this engine?). A drop over two weeks might no be worth fixing, but personally I would only take such a fix/leave as is decision after proper diagnosis.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Well I can confirm the zf 6 is indeed gold but has very gear oil type of smell. However after draining my tranny this am the smells aren't really same... maybe there simply isn't enough quantity in the drip to have a powerful smell. I am almost certain it's not engine oil because being a diesel with egr still semi intact my engine oil is black as night.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:33 PM

Well good
News bad news. I replaced bridge seal sealing sleeve pan and fluid. Then the leak seemed to increase in flow must be related to volume of fluid in trans. I'm leaning toward input seal sadly. Anyone do a DYI for dropping the trans... or will
This be my job.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search