My Nav stopped showing live traffic arrows - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 335 cabrio
My Nav stopped showing live traffic arrows

Hope someone can provide some info, I just noticed that the traffic arrows when in 3D map are no longer appearing on both my E70 X5 and E92 3er cabrio as of last week. Did something happen or expire that I wasn't aware of? I checked all of the settings and none of the nav check boxes pertaining to it are unchecked, I even unchecked/rechecked them to no avail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
I have never noticed traffic arrows in my E70 GPS .

Will check again and confirm
Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Same here, mine stopped showing. I think the technology evolved and the feature is now obsolete for our cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Yup... Same here in Michigan... Live traffic no longer shows anything as of only a few weeks ago...

Have read for the past few years that it was going to happen, guess they finally pulled the plug on the FM radio data service that used to provide this...

A shame, it was pretty damned useful for seeing whether I should get off the highway to avoid "stupid" on my way to work...

Since it's been seemingly disabled, I've gotten caught in 4 different, miles long phantom traffic jams on my way to work due to the "butterfly effect" from incompetent asshats who fearfully slowed way down an hour prior, causing everyone behind them to slam on their brakes, all because these feebleminded simpletons saw one singular forgotten construction barrel & tipped over sign on the far side of the highway that says something like "Slow down, construction ahead", where all construction ended well over a month ago....

Last edited by SPL15; 11-09-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Spl, yeah, I see this all the time. All it takes is one idiot for the rest of the herd to copy.
Look up the Milgram experiments to see how far people will go with this follower idiocy.

Waze is much better than FM traffic anyway.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
I find that i always have Waze on anyway. Generally more accurate, reroutes quicker on longer drives, and then there that "Police reported ahead" warning - saved my a$$ many many times.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Spl, yeah, I see this all the time. All it takes is one idiot for the rest of the herd to copy.
Look up the Milgram experiments to see how far people will go with this follower idiocy.

Waze is much better than FM traffic anyway.
Transient traffic congestion works like an everyday PID loop in control theory, albeit a VERY poorly tuned one...

Nothing will change this outside of fully autonomous vehicles that have MUCH quicker realtime analysis of the current situation, MUCH more accurate analysis of the situation, along with a MUCH lower latency feedback loop than is currently offered by mobile broadband services, unless licensing requirements change to require an IQ test with a pass/fail standard, stressful competency / practical test that shows proven ability in extreme situations, & enforcement of rules that actually matter for road safety (ie stop focusing on speed for ticketing / revenue). That ain't gonna happen & technology is still AT LEAST a decade or more out from allowing fully autonomous vehicles.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Yes the latency of distracted or spaced out drivers kills the efficiency. It also doesn't help that courtesy isn't followed. For the trouble drivers they think like they deserve courtesy for being slow or not signaling, but because in a narcissistic society the only thing that matters is being right. I didn't see as much of this kind of driving in Europe... Although it does happen. Even my friend from the uk this weekend said how people here in nyc drive like idiots, lol. I never got to drive in the uk, but wow.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search