Buying My First Used M3 - What Do I Need To Watch Out For - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Driver

Mein Auto: A BMW
Buying My First Used M3 - What Do I Need To Watch Out For

I'm in the market for a used M3. Found some really good looking ones under 10K on the ODO, most asking ~$60K. Even saw one with 2K for $58.9K. I like manual transmission, but will take auto - 6spd manual vs 7-spd auto? None has the competition option - don't really bother me. Color of interest: Blk/Blk but I see a lot of Blk/Orange - any comments, please. They all seem loaded with creature comfort options.

Basically, what should I look out for with the M. I currently have a MY17 X5 M-Sport, a MY03 325i which I passed down to my daughter, and just sold a 2012 X5, but I'm new to the M Sedan.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 135I convertible
I'm making a similar decision on a convertible M4.

I haven't had anyone respond to my post. I'm looking at 2016 and going to stick to a CPO with less than 30k miles.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Driver

I don't know why the response for help with buying is so slow - these are the people who can tell us what to look out for. In any case, I got mine this week - used some good sense and reading elsewhere. I love the car.

I say take a look at the car, make a good test drive, if it's still not in warranty, have them agree that purchase is contingent upon independent inspection. Check every function you know of. I downloaded the owner's manual prior to test driving the vehicle to familiarize myself with features unfamiliar to me. Good luck and have fun in your search - I think you'll love the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: M4
I have a 2017 M4 smg convertible with completion package and to date, knock on wood, not a single issue. 9200 miles on the clock. The only thing I can think of to watch out for is speed bumps.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
As with you I posted a question asking what I should have him check for on the last maintenance interval of my 16 M4 without any response fortunately the car has been almost trouble free for the last four years except for a charging error issue the car is been basically bulletproof best car Iíve ever owned
Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenym4 View Post
.....The only thing I can think of to watch out for is speed bumps.
YES, and YES. Regardless of what M3 wheel option, from what wheel shops have told me, they can crack over US road bumps without you even knowing - and these wheels are quite pricey for me. I learned from my AMG wheels - I have replaced 3 so far and I am now searching for aftermarket alternatives - those same wheel shops alerted. For the M3, I purchased full wheel/tire coverage for under $2,500. Worth it based on my experience.

Sad that more experienced folks could care less about us newer M3 people. No problem. We can do this.

Last edited by darkmann; 11-12-2019 at 11:00 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search