P2227 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
P2227

I've got a code, P2227, but I know the exact thing that seems to cause it. The last out of town trip with our 330Ci was at the end of August. Also drove to Tulare and back (about an hour each way) the Monday before our trip. Put about 450-500 miles on the car that weekend without issue. Since then there have only been short around town trips. On Halloween morning we set off from home with a near full tank of fuel. A restroom stop about 55 miles from home was followed by another about 100 miles later. There was an elevation change. Home is around 300', second stop (Tehachipi) is around 4,000'. We left the truck stop in Tehachipi and the SES light came on as about the time we hit 60 mph. Next stop was Willow Springs. Checked the intake boot at the MAF and checked the gas cap. The car sat for a couple of hours before we headed further south to Lancaster (2,300'). As soon as we pulled up to Harbor Freight (I've been needing a new code reader, but really couldn't justify the cost) the light went out. Figured we were heading out over the desert we needed the code reader anyway. Went back to the race track and then to dinner with friends. Left Rosamond (2,500') with a fuel stop in Mojave and then to Barstow for the night. The light still had not come on again. The next day we left Barstow about 1pm headed to Lake Havasu. Restroom stop in Needles (495') about 144 miles later. As soon as we got on the freeway and hit about 60 mph the SES light came on again. Saturday morning I checked the codes. P2227 and a pending P0174 (as I recall). Cleared the codes and all was well for the week that we were at the lake.

Friday morning we left Lake Havasu (735') to head to Kingman (3,300') to see an old friend. Parked the car at his house for several hours. Went to dinner and headed out from Kingman on our way back to Barstow with a fuel stop in Laughlin (about 35 miles). Left Laughlin (558') to head toward Barstow by way of Searchlight and Baker. Restroom stop in Baker (942'). Shortly after getting back on I15 and getting up to speed the light came on again. Cleared the code back in Barstow this morning. Restroom stop in Mojave where I thought I'd remove the gas cap and put it back to see if that made a difference. Nope, light came back on when we got back on the freeway. Cleared the code in Bakersfield (another restroom stop). Last stop on the trip was back in Tulare. The light did not come back on for the rest of the trip home. Temperatures were mild for the entire trip.

So, after that lengthy explanation, it appears that the light comes on after a long (50-100 mile or so) trip with a short break and getting right back on the highway, but not after a fuel stop. I haven't seen the pending code again, but haven't really looked for it since the first time. The driveability was never affected. Good power and fuel mileage at all elevations. I suspect that I will not have any problems driving around Fresno.

Pulled out the tool. Stored data is:
Closed Loop
Calc Load 36.9%
ECT 199 deg F
STFT B1 2.3%
LTFT B1 11.7%
STFT B2 1.6%
LTFT B2 11.7%
Eng RPM 2365
Veh Speed 66 mph
IAT 64 deg F
MAF 12.51
TPS 18.8%
Air status OFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
P2227

Those LTFTs are a bit high. Any LTFT reading over 10 needs to be researched. Have the intake manifold professionally smoke tested. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. The P0174 code means you have vacuum leaks in bank 2 (cylinders 4-6).

Check the F vacuum hose connector on the top of the upper intake hose.

Last edited by marcozandrini; 11-12-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
I will check those. I still need to rebuild the DISA (I've had the kit for about four years...). I've also got a slightly leaking exhaust VANOS (Intake VANOS is extremely clean like it has been worked on in the past) so some deferred maintenance is certainly in order. I've thought about pulling the intake for a cleaning and fresh gaskets. I figure it's also a good time to replace the heater hoses and that would be easier with the intake out of the way. Probably won't take it out of town any time soon. A week in and out of it was pretty tough on my wife (two new hips this year) so we'll travel in the Durango again for a while.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search