Parasitic battery drain - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Parasitic battery drain

I have a parasitic battery drain in my 05 X3 E83 (shocker I know). I'm getting 380 milliamps with the key off and car locked after a few minutes. I've checked volt drop across every fuse (under hood and glove box), pulled relays in hood fuse box, and disconnected the alternator all with no luck. What are the next steps to try? Where could I get a good schematic? Additionally, is that enough to drain a battery in 24 hours or so? It's only a year old, and O'Reilly's says the battery is good. Is their testing reliable? Yes I'm getting 14 volts from my alternator. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3, 442, S15, Silverado
Few minutes? Check again after 15-20.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 PM

After about 15 minutes it actually goes down to 215 mA, watched it for about 45 minutes and that's where it stayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesX3 View Post
After about 15 minutes it actually goes down to 215 mA, watched it for about 45 minutes and that's where it stayed
Mike, I learned the hard way, that if you want to test for a parasitic drain, either leave your hood up or the back hatch open to where you can see what the draw is after allowing it to set for 20 minutes. I was unlocking my doors and opening the hatch and then tested and I did not know this, but it wakes the car up so this is a definite draw. But once I left my hatch or hood open for over 20 minutes, then the car was still asleep so no draw. Just a suggestion
Old 11-07-2018, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 04' X3 3.0i
Quote:
The drain should not exceed 50-100mA.

Check heated mirrors fuse.

When idle the car should have 13.6-13.8V for petrol and 13.8-14.2V on diesel

Last edited by darknmy; 11-07-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Closed-circuit current measurement

Quote:
I have a parasitic battery drain in my 05 X3 E83 (shocker I know). I'm getting 380 milliamps with the key off and car locked after a few minutes.
How are you detecting the load?

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E83 X3 2.5i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 61 General vehicle electrical system / 61 20 Battery / Closed-circuit current measurement

"Quiescent current measurement procedure

Before quiescent current measurement, the vehicle must be prepared to ensure good results and avoid possible interference during measurement:

Park the vehicle in a position where quiescent current measurement can be performed without disruption.

The battery must be adequately charged and the battery charger must not be connected. If necessary, the battery must be charged beforehand.

Open the engine bonnet and pull up the bonnet contact switch (simulation of closed engine bonnet).

Open the boot lid/tailgate and use a screwdriver to lock the boot lid/tailgate lock with the boot lid/tailgate open (simulation of closed boot lid/tailgate).

Open the glove compartment (detection of consumer shutdown).

Open the driver's door and close it again (simulates somebody getting in).

Switch on the ignition for at least 5 seconds and then switch it off again.

Remove the remote control or identification sensor for vehicles with Comfort Access from the insert compartment and do not leave it in the vehicle.

Open the driver's door again and use a screwdriver to lock the driver's door lock with the door open (simulation of unoccupied vehicle)."

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...attery/YDj5gs8
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 11-07-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
How are you detecting the load?

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E83 X3 2.5i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 61 General vehicle electrical system / 61 20 Battery / Closed-circuit current measurement

"Quiescent current measurement procedure

Before quiescent current measurement, the vehicle must be prepared to ensure good results and avoid possible interference during measurement:

Park the vehicle in a position where quiescent current measurement can be performed without disruption.

The battery must be adequately charged and the battery charger must not be connected. If necessary, the battery must be charged beforehand.

Open the engine bonnet and pull up the bonnet contact switch (simulation of closed engine bonnet).

Open the boot lid/tailgate and use a screwdriver to lock the boot lid/tailgate lock with the boot lid/tailgate open (simulation of closed boot lid/tailgate).

Open the glove compartment (detection of consumer shutdown).

Open the driver's door and close it again (simulates somebody getting in).

Switch on the ignition for at least 5 seconds and then switch it off again.

Remove the remote control or identification sensor for vehicles with Comfort Access from the insert compartment and do not leave it in the vehicle.

Open the driver's door again and use a screwdriver to lock the driver's door lock with the door open (simulation of unoccupied vehicle)."

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...attery/YDj5gs8
what the hell

you disconnect [negative] from the battery and add amp meter in between, after 18min see how much flows through
Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 AM
Nuclear engineer

Oh, so disconnecting the battery has no effect elsewhere in the electrical system? And the BMW direction not to disconnect the battery for troubleshooting unless specifically directed is ... is ... malicious to the customers interests?
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:54 AM

Well, if the user is too much of a care-bear, he may use a clamp-on ammeter and loose some in precision.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknmy View Post
Well, if the user is too much of a care-bear, he may use a clamp-on ammeter and loose some in precision.
Or if the Care Bear follows the BMW TIS protocol in this instance (clamp on ammeter). Will you also loosely quibble on the remainder of the protocol?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:27 PM

I connected my ammeter in series with the negative cable, used jumper cables and an extra battery to avoid losing battery power while connecting my meter
Old 11-07-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknmy View Post
Quote:
The drain should not exceed 50-100mA.

Check heated mirrors fuse.

When idle the car should have 13.6-13.8V for petrol and 13.8-14.2V on diesel

Again, I'm getting zero from all fuses including this one.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt

Mein Auto: e46;e92;f30;e83, AMv8v
There's a couple of components on the M5x engines that are the primary culprits of over night battery drain in other BMW models using this engine.

The aux electric fan module (Bosch box) mounted on the fan shroud is known to drain the battery without spinning the fan. This is a 50 amp circuit that is live 24/7 even after the 16 minute sleep period.

The water heater valve - it jams inside from mineral buildup and the current to it remains active - this circuit is also live at all times.

Simple test is to disconnect the pigtail connector for the fan and see if the overnight drain stops.

Similarly, separately (different night) disconnect the harness for the water heater valve and see if this is the root cause. - P.s. If the water heater valve is warm hours after the car is shut off it is consuming current.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 AM

I'll give that a try, thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Have you got Bluetooth? I've heard the Bluetooth TCU modules can draw current because they don't sleep if they are paired.

Last edited by legalfee; 11-08-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Hey, new member here. I have a 2010 bmw x3 with what was an ongoing parasitic drain. Thought I would post my solution to this though it's an old thread. I'm quite handy mechanically and with electronics and went through a ton of stuff to find the simplest thing solved my problem. I metered everyrhing, ground straps, tcu all that ****. Ended up being the E-brake...don't use it. I started leaving mine disengaged and suddenly the car is starting no problem. Not saying this will solve everyone's problem but if you have checked off all the boxes give this a try.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 442, S15, Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger1 View Post
Hey, new member here. I have a 2010 bmw x3 with what was an ongoing parasitic drain. Thought I would post my solution to this though it's an old thread. I'm quite handy mechanically and with electronics and went through a ton of stuff to find the simplest thing solved my problem. I metered everyrhing, ground straps, tcu all that ****. Ended up being the E-brake...don't use it. I started leaving mine disengaged and suddenly the car is starting no problem. Not saying this will solve everyone's problem but if you have checked off all the boxes give this a try.

Interesting. Perhaps the red brake light was staying on, or the sensor was shorting and drawing down the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Quote:
I connected my ammeter in series with the negative cable, used jumper cables and an extra battery to avoid losing battery power while connecting my meter
Uh oh. That strategy might not work.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search