BMW 318i battery failure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-11-2019, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto:
BMW 318i battery failure

My BMW 318i 2007 95kw has recently broken down because (I hope) the battery is faulty.

Do BMWs behave strangely when running on a low power battery?

Mine is giving me all the warning lights under the sun and abs and transmission won't work properly even if the battery is hooked up to a charge pack. Is that normal? How can the electrics interfere with the mechanics so much? It seems as if the battery is integral to everything including fuel injection and transmission, but that seems dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto:
I am not asking for help with repairs here! I am getting it sorted hopefully.

Just really after some general advice from BMW owners with experience. When the battery is running low, what kind of issues does it cause? Mine has gone haywire with the ABS and transmisison and fuel injection all buggered!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 M#
Why don't you buy a cheap multimeter, and measure battery voltage with car off and car running? Youtube for DIY.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by coathangers View Post
My BMW 318i 2007 95kw has recently broken down because (I hope) the battery is faulty.

Mine is giving me all the warning lights under the sun and abs and transmission won't work properly even if the battery is hooked up to a charge pack. Is that normal? How can the electrics interfere with the mechanics so much? It seems as if the battery is integral to everything including fuel injection and transmission, but that seems dangerous.
With low voltage, the BMW will go absolutely bonkers.
There's eleventy-thousand computers, all of which require an appropriate power supply.
If your battery is old, it won't hold a charge, the voltage is low, blah blah blah.

Buy a multimeter to check voltage.
Better yet, ask a friend who has a multimeter to check it.

A 2007 vehicle should already be on its second battery by now.
I have Jeeps that consume a battery every 4 years or so.

After you replace (or have someone replace) the battery, you need to tell the car you've installed a new battery. When the vehicle is aware of a new battery, it will alter the charging pattern to get maximum life from the battery.

I'd go with a new battery, but that's just me.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coathangers View Post

With low voltage, the BMW will go absolutely bonkers.
There's eleventy-thousand computers, all of which require an appropriate power supply.
If your battery is old, it won't hold a charge, the voltage is low, blah blah blah.

Buy a multimeter to check voltage.
Better yet, ask a friend who has a multimeter to check it.

A 2007 vehicle should already be on its second battery by now.
I have Jeeps that consume a battery every 4 years or so.

After you replace (or have someone replace) the battery, you need to tell the car you've installed a new battery. When the vehicle is aware of a new battery, it will alter the charging pattern to get maximum life from the battery.

I'd go with a new battery, but that's just me.
Your mileage may vary.
Really appreciate the response. Definitely getting a new battery ASAP plus the on board computer to usb cables to register it.

I think my main worry is with all the computers, does the car do anything on it's own mechanically? Will the radiator cooling fan work? Will the oil be regulated? Seems crazy. I know the thing is currently unusable now and won't even start, but with the battery being low for a while I wonder how many of those little processes have been failing.

Will look to get the multimeter too to avoid this happening again.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Right now, it's just like being parked for an extended period.
With a new battery, everything will come back up just like it should.
Happily for us, Microsoft did not write the software in our cars.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search