Software update - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 540x
Software update

I took my 2019 G30 to the dealer for service and they told me that there was a software update. After I picked up my car I noticed that my saved radio stations were gone and I am unable to save any stations. I hold down the button until it makes a noise but it won’t save the station. Anyone else have the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 530i
Sadly, some dealers backup and restore your preferences during upgrades, some do not. You can always back up and restore your own settings using a USB stick.

However - not being able to save new presets? That's a new one on me. Can you set any of the buttons to a non-radio function (I have one of my presets set to enable/disable the HUD)?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombie99 View Post
I took my 2019 G30 to the dealer for service and they told me that there was a software update. After I picked up my car I noticed that my saved radio stations were gone and I am unable to save any stations. I hold down the button until it makes a noise but it won't save the station. Anyone else have the same issue?

Are you using the 8 programmable/favorites buttons to save radio stations? Or are you creating PRESETS (in iDrive)?

I would recommend saving radio presets in iDrive...then once you have all the stations saved (also recommend to save them in the order you're most likely to listen to them, too)...you can save that whole list of presets into just ONE of the EIGHT preset buttons. You can then scroll through and change the stations using the button on your steering wheel...and/or use Voice Command by saying "PRESETS" after pressing the VC button...and your presets should appear on the iDrive screen. You could then use your iDrive controller to scroll to the station you want (just like the scroll button on the steering wheel).

I wouldn't waste all of those programmable buttons on just radio stations...you can save a lot of other things to those buttons like spouses/family ph#s, nav/home destinations, climate/ventilation selection screens, etertainment/obc split screen data, TPMS screen, etc. You can see what I saved to my buttons below:
  1. My personal list of presets (my version of CIC/NBT allows you to save up to 30 stations (AM/FM/SiriusXM) in the order of your preference so I saved my presets to this 1 button and can pull up the list in one swell swoop. You can also use voice command to bring it up to...then use the scroll button on the steering wheel to make a selection of which station you want to listen to. (SEE 1ST PIC BELOW)
  2. Climate screen for iDrive that allows you to turn on the parked car ventilation or select 1 of the 2 "timed" parked car ventilations. I do this on very hot days after running the AC and pulling into my garage where it will be dark and no air circulation. This is the perfect conditions for spawning bacteria and mold which causes that funky smell when you first turn on the AC. Drying out the AC evaporator by running the blower for up to 30 minutes after parking...reduces the conditions that spawn the bacteria. . (SEE 2ND PIC BELOW)
  3. Split Screen selection that puts the nav map on the right and ENTERTAINMENT info on the left (SEE 3RD PIC BELOW)
  4. Split Screen selection that puts the nav map on the right and the OBC info on the left (SEE 4TH PIC BELOW)
  5. TPMS screen
  6. Sport Display
  7. Blank
  8. Nav destination for home (in case I'm somewhere unfamiliar and need to get home...I don't have to ask for directions back to the main local streets that are familiar (or back to the interstate or state highway if out of town/out of state).

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 10-25-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: M550i
Just did first oil service and had same thing. They updated integration level and I had to re code everything I had coded as well as all presets for normal quick key buttons.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2018 540d
save for later
Formerly: 2009 335d / Monaco Blue

Fuelly
Old 11-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 2019 540ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Are you using the 8 programmable/favorites buttons to save radio stations? Or are you creating PRESETS (in iDrive)?

I would recommend saving radio presets in iDrive...then once you have all the stations saved (also recommend to save them in the order you're most likely to listen to them, too)...you can save that whole list of presets into just ONE of the EIGHT preset buttons. You can then scroll through and change the stations using the button on your steering wheel...and/or use Voice Command by saying "PRESETS" after pressing the VC button...and your presets should appear on the iDrive screen. You could then use your iDrive controller to scroll to the station you want (just like the scroll button on the steering wheel).

I wouldn't waste all of those programmable buttons on just radio stations...you can save a lot of other things to those buttons like spouses/family ph#s, nav/home destinations, climate/ventilation selection screens, etertainment/obc split screen data, TPMS screen, etc. You can see what I saved to my buttons below:
  1. My personal list of presets (my version of CIC/NBT allows you to save up to 30 stations (AM/FM/SiriusXM) in the order of your preference so I saved my presets to this 1 button and can pull up the list in one swell swoop. You can also use voice command to bring it up to...then use the scroll button on the steering wheel to make a selection of which station you want to listen to. (SEE 1ST PIC BELOW)
  2. Climate screen for iDrive that allows you to turn on the parked car ventilation or select 1 of the 2 "timed" parked car ventilations. I do this on very hot days after running the AC and pulling into my garage where it will be dark and no air circulation. This is the perfect conditions for spawning bacteria and mold which causes that funky smell when you first turn on the AC. Drying out the AC evaporator by running the blower for up to 30 minutes after parking...reduces the conditions that spawn the bacteria. . (SEE 2ND PIC BELOW)
  3. Split Screen selection that puts the nav map on the right and ENTERTAINMENT info on the left (SEE 3RD PIC BELOW)
  4. Split Screen selection that puts the nav map on the right and the OBC info on the left (SEE 4TH PIC BELOW)
  5. TPMS screen
  6. Sport Display
  7. Blank
  8. Nav destination for home (in case I'm somewhere unfamiliar and need to get home...I don't have to ask for directions back to the main local streets that are familiar (or back to the interstate or state highway if out of town/out of state).

[]

Great information, thanks for posting
Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombie99 View Post
I took my 2019 G30 to the dealer for service and they told me that there was a software update. After I picked up my car I noticed that my saved radio stations were gone and I am unable to save any stations. I hold down the button until it makes a noise but it won’t save the station. Anyone else have the same issue?

I had my 2018 530e updated yesterday and I lost some of my presets. I had no issue resetting my preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
QSilver7: great post. I do likewise but I save the navigate home button by just using the mic button on the steering wheel and say "Go home" Often, like you, I just use it to get through some unfamiliar streets. I also use the mic button for presets (at least half the times when I start the car it defaults right to presets: the other half the time I either use the mic button and say "presets" or the media button on IDrive.

I think the programmable buttons on BMWs are a great feature that is often overlooked both by users and reviewers.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Go to radio list, and while on station menu press the button you want to program. It works that way if it doesn’t work when you actually are on the station you want to program. Hard to explain in text what I’m saying.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 540iX
Yep, I just had a service done, the recall for the rear view cam as well, kept the radio stations but all my preset radio buttons were wiped, as were almost all of the bimmercode coding settings. But that's probably to be expected. Have to recode now
Old 11-13-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF750 View Post
Yep, I just had a service done, the recall for the rear view cam as well, kept the radio stations but all my preset radio buttons were wiped, as were almost all of the bimmercode coding settings. But that's probably to be expected. Have to recode now

Yep, you’ll have to re remove horn from beeping when engine running if you lock doors, windows going up when opening doors, I think I had to re do everything

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search