7/70,000K timing chain warranty. - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmon View Post
Gotta think of the tight and loose side of the timing chain.

When driving along one side of the chain is tight as the crank sprocket is pulling it. The other, loose side is kept tight by the tensioner pushing against the slider which in turn pushes against and keeps the chain tight,

So when the crank sprocket slows down, the tight side is no longer tight and loosens while the loose side becomes tight.

The change in chain "pull" direction creates a jolt.

The jolt is greater when a sudden change in chain pull direction happens as when you put it in reverse while the car is still moving forward.
Understood, basically when the rpm changes(even for gear changes among forward gears), the pull direction of the chain changes, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535, 2016 X3
correct. That's when the risk of a chain jump is high if the chain is loose.

As I said, shifting to forward or reverse when the car is moving in the other direction can also generate extra stress.

And the Machiavellian among us realise by now that a non performing tensioner might increase the probability of a failure.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
As I said, shifting to forward or reverse when the car is moving in the other direction can also generate extra stress.
My understanding is that the engine still rotates in same direction regardless forward or reverse gear, it is the transmission that reverses the rotation of the drive shafts.

Having said that, since the reverse gear is different from, say, 1st gear, the change in engine rpm(while still rotates in same direction) will induce change in chain pull direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
And the Machiavellian among us realise by now that a non performing tensioner might increase the probability of a failure.
The reported failures are mainly due to snap-on attachment between top rail and guard rail(all plastic parts) breaking off, and eventually those rails shatter into pieces.

It is unclear if the plastic rails are subpar, and hence cause TC stretching, or TC stretching causes the plastic rails to break.

If the former, new tensioner will not help as much since the TC's supporting structure crumbles.

Last edited by namelessman; 12-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Just brought my 2013 528i with 64k miles on it in to dealer because I got low oil pressure light. They said that it is a timing chain issue and that it will be repaired with no charge. They said that they have to remove valve covers and take pictures and send them to bmw before proceeding.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
Just brought my 2013 528i with 64k miles on it in to dealer because I got low oil pressure light. They said that it is a timing chain issue and that it will be repaired with no charge. They said that they have to remove valve covers and take pictures and send them to bmw before proceeding.
That's good news, BMWNA really should make that ELW last to 12-yr/100k-mile to give owners peace of mind, or just do a recall on all affected cars to save their brand image.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
My understanding is that the engine still rotates in same direction regardless forward or reverse gear, it is the transmission that reverses the rotation of the drive shafts.
Right. I scratched my head for a minute too.

I think what was being asserted (if somewhat obliquely) is that the loaded side and the slack side of the TC may switch personalities with torque-delta events. The direction of chain rotation does not change, of course.

Put differently: think of any freewheel-based exercise machine - elliptical, spin bike, recumbent, etc. Your feet put force into some kind of freewheel spinning mass, maybe for an hour. If you slow your legs abruptly, however, the force goes INTO your legs FROM the machine. It might even pick you up for one last rotation. Similarly, the direction of TC motion cannot change, just the side with/without slack.

I believe the poster was asserting that a reversing gear is the sort of sudden change that can cause the TC to hop a tooth, if it's already a degraded (i.e., longer) TC, or should the tensioner fail.

One might imagine that PHEVs are more susceptible to sudden torque in the TC. Of course, they also have half the ICE use, for the same number of miles (and thus also enjoy twice the effective rate of oil changes). On the other, other hand they often start cold. On the other, other, other hand, they have a small engine in a huge bay.

I suppose a decade from now we'll all know. This doesn't seem to be a problem for Toyota's vast hybrid fleet. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is why the 40e was recalled and its shifts attenuated.

Last edited by guyinacar; 01-26-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i XDrive
Do we know if this warranty will work if the timing guide breaks and blows the motor ? Will they cover a new motor or is this smoke and mirrors ?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: f30
I am curious if this extended warranty also applies to Canadians..??
Old 03-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by previse View Post
Do we know if this warranty will work if the timing guide breaks and blows the motor ? Will they cover a new motor or is this smoke and mirrors ?
Yes foremen at dealers confirmed blown motors caused by TC issues will be covered under ELW.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
I am curious if this extended warranty also applies to Canadians..??
Do check with BMW Canada for details, the 7-yr/70k-mile TC ELW appears to be only for US cars.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:46 AM

I checked on both Canadian and US websites and couldn't find anything about it.. I would imagine as usual, we Canadians, get the shaft on this extended warranty..
Old 03-26-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I checked on both Canadian and US websites and couldn't find anything about it.. I would imagine as usual, we Canadians, get the shaft on this extended warranty..
For US cars, service can pull the ELW info from the key, so do check with dealer service at Canada. There seems to be no reference of similar ELW available for Canada-spec cars though.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
For US cars, service can pull the ELW info from the key, so do check with dealer service at Canada. There seems to be no reference of similar ELW available for Canada-spec cars though.
Will do.. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
The timing chain failure mechanism also causes low or even no oil pressure in some cases due to the plastic guide debris getting into the oil pump pick-up and clogging it.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Thanks to all for contributing! I picked up a 12/12 manufacture date 328xi last year and was not aware if the timing chain issue until I received the ESW letter in the mail. Car is running well, but I want to inspect the timing chain and guides to make sure that it doesn't grenade, or to get it sorted before the 70K is up. While searching on the web I found this page:

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/

I searched, and read through all the threads containing "N20 timing chain" and did not find it here. Hope it will help you as much as i hope it is about to help me......

And... off to the garage to peer down my oil fill!
Old 03-30-2018, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Interesting to note is BMW has not put the B series motor in the X1 and new X2. Does this mean this issue should never happen again? I would think if there was any concern that the fix canít last in excess of 100,000 miles they would have canned the old motor completely throughout the entire line. Since I average 25,000 a year and buy not lease, having a 70,000 warranty is worthless since I typically keep my cars until they have in excess of 175,000 miles on them. I am at 155,000 on my E90 and will take a serious look at the new G20 when it arrives.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
I have this issue with my 2013 X3. My dealer says that to their knowledge there is no limited extended warranty in Canada. They plan to approach BMW Canada next week to discuss what can be done.

They are estimating $6500 CDN (plus tax) to replace the timing chain. That's an insane amount of money. I'd like to speak to the idiotic BMW engineer who buried the timing chain at the rear of the engine. What a brain dead design decision.

Dave Ings
Toronto, Canada
Old 04-06-2018, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 (2.8i)
Good luck Dave- I drive an older Bimmer that I work on myself, was at dealer parts dept recently chatting to parts guy about the newer engines and he showed me this design youíre talking about- how strange! Timing chain, Vanos unit and all next to firewall, ugh...Iíll stick with my aging E39 for few more years.
Hope the extended warranty thing happens up North.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Interesting to note is BMW has not put the B series motor in the X1 and new X2. Does this mean this issue should never happen again? I would think if there was any concern that the fix can't last in excess of 100,000 miles they would have canned the old motor completely throughout the entire line. Since I average 25,000 a year and buy not lease, having a 70,000 warranty is worthless since I typically keep my cars until they have in excess of 175,000 miles on them. I am at 155,000 on my E90 and will take a serious look at the new G20 when it arrives.
The current FWD X1 (from 2015) and new X2 are on MINI platforms - and MINI has used the B series since 2014 and BMW uses the B38 and B48 too (transverse engines in the MINIs and the X1/X2). The The N20/26 was only for RWD-based cars from what I could tell.

Last edited by spyked; 04-06-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ings View Post
I have this issue with my 2013 X3. My dealer says that to their knowledge there is no limited extended warranty in Canada. They plan to approach BMW Canada next week to discuss what can be done.

They are estimating $6500 CDN (plus tax) to replace the timing chain. That's an insane amount of money. I'd like to speak to the idiotic BMW engineer who buried the timing chain at the rear of the engine. What a brain dead design decision.

Dave Ings
Toronto, Canada
2013 X3 with N20 TC is covered for 7-yr/70k-miles for US spec cars. The N20 TC is in the front, the local indies charge around $2k to $3k to change out all the related parts.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
Used 2014 Sports Wagon w/N20, from a non-BMW dealer

We are considering a used 2014 BMW Sports Wagon with about 40,000 miles on it.

It has the N20 engine, of course.

Build date: 03/27/2013

Although the vehicle [apparently] has CPO until 06/2020, it is not transferable to us since the vehicle is being sold by a non-BMW dealer. Also, the factory warranty has expired.

Does the N20 timing chain guide failure "letter" apply in a case like this, or do you have to be the original owner, or some other caveat ?

The "letter" seems to indicate, from the posts here, that it only covers the N20 for 7 years or 70,000 miles, if I recall correctly. But maybe that changed.

Is a consideration of this vehicle just "playing with fire," or is this a low risk where you would still consider purchasing it ? The price seems decent enough Ö

Thanks in advance for any input / experience / etc. on these questions and potential concerns.

Don
Old 08-17-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post

Although the vehicle [apparently] has CPO until 06/2020, it is not transferable to us since the vehicle is being sold by a non-BMW dealer. Also, the factory warranty has expired.

Does the N20 timing chain guide failure "letter" apply in a case like this, or do you have to be the original owner, or some other caveat ?

The "letter" seems to indicate, from the posts here, that it only covers the N20 for 7 years or 70,000 miles, if I recall correctly. But maybe that changed.

Is a consideration of this vehicle just "playing with fire," or is this a low risk where you would still consider purchasing it ? The price seems decent enough Ö.

Thanks in advance for any input / experience / etc. on these questions and potential concerns.

Don
As far as ELW is concerned, the coverage is 7 years/70k miles for N20/N26 produced in or before 2/2015. There is no change to the coverage, yet.

The coverage is per VIN, so it does carry over to new owners.

The "playing with fire" perspective is up to interpretation and risk tolerance.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylerdo View Post

Is a consideration of this vehicle just "playing with fire," or is this a low risk where you would still consider purchasing it ? The price seems decent enough Ö

Don

Buy it. You wonít regret it. I have the 320 with the same engine. 94,000 later it runs perfect. My experience is similar to most.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-18-2018, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew View Post
Buy it. You wonít regret it. I have the 320 with the same engine. 94,000 later it runs perfect. My experience is similar to most.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
+1
This problem seems to be limited to a few cars. The stories get echoed over the internet.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search