Rescued to the South now - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 09-29-2018, 05:02 PM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
By looking at your pics the telephone module was probably never installed. That wiring looks intact as when it left factory its just prewired for it but the module was never added.

No need to get discouraged, those items on there are minor stuff and easy fixes. The most expensive being the phone module approx. $70 on ebay.
Your info makes sense...notice the overhead functions...do you see what's missing...yeah the "SOS" option! It's all coming together now. Thanks again jeepo23.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_185027.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	820971

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #102  
Old 09-29-2018, 05:21 PM
jeepo23 jeepo23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CDN
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,145
Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
Your info makes sense...notice the overhead functions...do you see what's missing...yeah the "SOS" option! It's all coming together now. Thanks again jeepo23.Attachment 820971

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Yah thats what mine looks like too. The microphone would be hidden to the left in those little grilled slot part
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09-29-2018, 06:24 PM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
So we are now down to 3! (excluding th air bag man).

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #104  
Old 09-29-2018, 06:28 PM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
So we are now down to 3! (excluding th air bag man).

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
I'm in hopes... by when she hits *200k*..I'll have a clear clean dash.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_113354.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	821005

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 09-29-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 09-30-2018, 06:47 AM
jeepo23 jeepo23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CDN
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,145
Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
The ABS, 4x4 and Brake lights are those not typically related to the little actuator gear in the transfer case? It's like a 10$ part, wouldn't hurt to replace the fluid at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09-30-2018, 07:37 AM
mitch500 mitch500 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: esmonton canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 1997 e36 m3 s54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
The ABS, 4x4 and Brake lights are those not typically related to the little actuator gear in the transfer case? It's like a 10$ part, wouldn't hurt to replace the fluid at the same time.
Yes they are
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
The ABS, 4x4 and Brake lights are those not typically related to the little actuator gear in the transfer case? It's like a 10$ part, wouldn't hurt to replace the fluid at the same time.
Yep. ..got it in hand...just got to find the time maybe tomorrow...hear, for the airbag,,,,, just cleaning the connections in the stirring wheel could get rid of the light...we'll see...you know what happened with my last airbag situation. ...https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1280480

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 09-30-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-01-2018, 04:26 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
Yep. ..got it in hand...just got to find the time maybe tomorrow...hear, for the airbag,,,,, just cleaning the connections in the stirring wheel could get rid of the light...we'll see...you know what happened with my last airbag situation. ...https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1280480

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app
ya think it's time to replace the braided ground strap? Like to get a nice thick one...Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_144337.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	821207

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 AM
jeepo23 jeepo23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CDN
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,145
Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Ya thatís end of life! There is some at Walmart their battery cables think like 2 or 4gauge with the eyelet on them they have a pvc jacket on them as well..


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 10-01-2018, 12:22 PM
mitch500 mitch500 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: esmonton canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 1997 e36 m3 s54
Wow I need to check my aground straps!
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
common failure at this age...it will make you think the battery is bad or the starter...you'll have your car towed to the dealer...the dealer will discover it's the $8 dollar ground strap, replace it and charge you $800 dollars for the labor. when you could have done the job for $8....that's why they call them the "stealer"!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 10-03-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Dead key fob...
I suspect the battery power is depleted...however, that shouldn't affect the functioning of the key when used in the door key hole...right. When key is turned to the RIGHT =locks are opened...when key is turned to the LEFT= locks are locked. in other words (correct me if I'm wrong) the key fob battery has no barring on the manual locking/ unlocking of door locks when key is inserted in the door lock.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
Dead key fob...
I suspect the battery power is depleted...however, that shouldn't affect the functioning of the key when used in the door key hole...right. When key is turned to the RIGHT =locks are opened...when key is turned to the LEFT= locks are locked. in other words (correct me if I'm wrong) the key fob battery has no barring on the manual locking/ unlocking of door locks when key is inserted in the door lock.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Dead key?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_093810.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	821505  
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 AM
mitch500 mitch500 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: esmonton canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 1997 e36 m3 s54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
Dead key?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Just change that battery, but I'm sure you know that. eBay has batterys for $5
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
Just change that battery, but I'm sure you know that. eBay has batterys for $5
yea I know...I got a couple on hand. just didn't want to go through cutting the fob open and soldering in the new bat. hey but that saves me $170 bucks

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 AM
abscate abscate is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,417
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
Just change that battery, but I'm sure you know that. eBay has batterys for $5

Dont forget to register it

(troll runs back under his bridge)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by abscate View Post
Dont forget to register it

(troll runs back under his bridge)
??? Register

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM
abscate abscate is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,417
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
There was a flame war over whether the E83 series requires the battery to be registered to the car to ensure proper operation

I was just poking the hornets nest to see if any were left..

You can use any decent battery to replace it if needed, registration of batteries is a later BMW thing

Last edited by abscate; 10-03-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by abscate View Post
There was a flame war over whether the E83 series requires the battery to be registered to the car to ensure proper operation

I was just poking the hornets nest to see if any were left..
no,no,no...no registering needed my friend for these x's that's one of the reasons I favour this type BMW.
I think I was in that fire fight....I survived.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 10-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM
jeepo23 jeepo23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CDN
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,145
Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
no,no,no...no registering needed my friend for these x's that's one of the reasons I favour this type BMW.
I think I was in that fire fight....I survived.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Once battery is replaced in the key the key does need to be reinitialized to the car. No joke. It's done with a sequence of button presses, no software required.

Look it up online, the E46s had it the and mutant E83 does too.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 10-03-2018, 11:02 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Once battery is replaced in the key the key does need to be reinitialized to the car. No joke. It's done with a sequence of button presses, no software required.

Look it up online, the E46s had it the and mutant E83 does too.
oh! yea...now that's correct. for diamond keys...hold open button down while press the bmw button 3 times and lift. But first put key in position 1 and then remove...this is what your referring to...right?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 PM
abscate abscate is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,417
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Once battery is replaced in the key the key does need to be reinitialized to the car. No joke. It's done with a sequence of button presses, no software required.

Look it up online, the E46s had it the and mutant E83 does too.
Ive never had To do this on my E83 when i disonnect the battery, which is every time I do electrical work .
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 PM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by abscate View Post
Ive never had To do this on my E83 when i disonnect the battery, which is every time I do electrical work .
Yeah.....the battery in the key not the battery in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 10-04-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:25 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
Yeah. .the battery in the key not the one in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app
*So here's the problem*
a disconnected/broken battery prong...your mission...if you should choose it...is to switch out the full battery replace with a battery which has a non damaged electrical prong.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 10-04-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:29 AM
BimmurBrothor's Avatar
BimmurBrothor BimmurBrothor is offline
BeeemerBro
Location: Savannah GA
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,597
Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
*So here's the problem*
a disconnected/broken battery prong...your mission...if you should choose it...is to switch out the full battery replace with a battery which has a non damaged electrical prong.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
See the broken prong...

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1538655680786.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	821657  
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 10-04-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.