service due light (front brakes) - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 PM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markst View Post
@gsnake2000 just to make sure it was clear, the bolts that need to be replaced are #3 in this diagram. The guide screws #6 can be reused after cleaning. Bolts #3 usually don't need to be removed to change pads/rotors.

oh, the bolts #3 are holding the whole caliper I am guessing.. its ok, I will get all that and see if I have to use them or leave for the next time.. I am hesitating to whether keep the rotors or not, most probably I could but I don't want to have them warp in a year or two and then I will have to change both rotors and pads. If I do them both now this is kind of guarantee for 50.000 km..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
twh twh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,531
Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Yes, #3 holds the caliper bracket to the wheel. If you aren't changing the rotor, you don't need to remove the #3 bolt.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-11-2019, 09:31 PM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
Yes, #3 holds the caliper bracket to the wheel. If you aren't changing the rotor, you don't need to remove the #3 bolt.
yep, got it. i will get 4 of them just in case
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #29  
Old 10-11-2019, 11:55 PM
deroy deroy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands, Europe
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 759
Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markst View Post
Renew can mean both.

I'm sure you know the German stereotypes... Why use 2 different words to mean the same thing?
Also, sometimes there's both renew and replace on the same page.


Bmw being German, if renew would mean some sort of mechanic cleanup action, they would have written a 14 page procedure for it, to be completed with 3 special tools. And that for a critical 2$ part that probably has stretched once already by 110Nm. Really?


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:04 AM
sohor1's Avatar
sohor1 sohor1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 337
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
It is excessive to replace caliper bolts, but since they’re cheap go for it. Don’t bother replacing the brake sensors, just cut the sensor off and splice the wires and zip tie to the chassis. Check the life of your discs but rubbing your finger on the edge of the disc. If there is no lip or a small lip, you’re fine. If there is a big lip, time to replace. How many miles on the truck?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:11 AM
twh twh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,531
Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post
bmw being german, if renew would mean some sort of mechanic cleanup action, they would have written a 14 page procedure for it, to be completed with 3 special tools. And that for a critical 2$ part that probably has stretched once already by 110nm. Really?


Verzonden vanaf mijn iphone met tapatalk
lol
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:55 AM
deroy deroy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands, Europe
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 759
Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohor1 View Post
It is excessive to replace caliper bolts, but since they’re cheap go for it. Don’t bother replacing the brake sensors, just cut the sensor off and splice the wires and zip tie to the chassis. Check the life of your discs but rubbing your finger on the edge of the disc. If there is no lip or a small lip, you’re fine. If there is a big lip, time to replace. How many miles on the truck?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Excessive as it may seem, when replacing rotors and pads, the 10$ bolts are a no brainer indeed. Imho.


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 AM
sohor1's Avatar
sohor1 sohor1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 337
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
service due light (front brakes)

The manual for my 991.1 C2S calls for caliper bolt replacement. For street use it’s fine to re-use them a few times. If you’re heading to the track, replace them or install studs into the hub. Most manufacturers do not require the bolts to be replaced, it’s a money grab hiding behind a torque value/bolt stretch excuse. They’re not going to back out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Markst Markst is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marg
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: BMW 5
It's not a money grab. How much are you going to save over the life of the vehicle? $20? It's part of a set of procedures to keep a car performing at a higher level.
Your advice to short out the wear sensor is just dangerous.



Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post
Bmw being German, if renew would mean some sort of mechanic cleanup action, they would have written a 14 page procedure for it, to be completed with 3 special tools. And that for a critical 2$ part that probably has stretched once already by 110Nm. Really?
I was suggesting replacement from the start, I agree with you. I checked on another official TIS translation and the word for renew and replace is the same.

Last edited by Markst; 10-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-12-2019, 10:29 AM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
[QUOTE=sohor1;13130923]It is excessive to replace caliper bolts, but since they’re cheap go for it. Don’t bother replacing the brake sensors, just cut the sensor off and splice the wires and zip tie to the chassis. Check the life of your discs but rubbing your finger on the edge of the disc. If there is no lip or a small lip, you’re fine. If there is a big lip, time to replace. How many miles on the truck?

=) sounds great! I never had any sensors, just common sense regarding the rotors always did the trick. and most of the time when the rotors are worn enough they warp and then you know for sure it is time..

the rotors look great and yes there is a small lip on the edge of it. About 2mm (1/8) I would say. The truck has 45.000 km (which is less than 30.000 miles). But I am in British Columbia and it is hilly where I live.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-12-2019, 11:17 AM
deroy deroy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands, Europe
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 759
Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake2000 View Post

the rotors look great and yes there is a small lip on the edge of it. About 2mm (1/8) I would say. The truck has 45.000 km (which is less than 30.000 miles). But I am in British Columbia and it is hilly where I live.


2mm is ENORMOUS. Specs allow for 1.6mm gone on both sides combined. Needless to add; that is 0.8 mm on a single side.

Good luck on your next downhill trip...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rakes/2T26OGA8



Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:03 PM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
[QUOTE=deroy;13131057]2mm is ENORMOUS. Specs allow for 1.6mm gone on both sides combined. Needless to add; that is 0.8 mm on a single side.

Good luck on your next downhill trip...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rakes/2T26OGA8

ok ok, I have not measured the disks yet. i have no issues replacing both, especially this gives me a piece of mind I would not have to deal with rotors in a couple of years while still having good pads.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:27 PM
sohor1's Avatar
sohor1 sohor1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 337
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markst View Post
It's not a money grab. How much are you going to save over the life of the vehicle? $20? It's part of a set of procedures to keep a car performing at a higher level.
Your advice to short out the wear sensor is just dangerous.




I was suggesting replacement from the start, I agree with you. I checked on another official TIS translation and the word for renew and replace is the same.


Shorting the sensor wire is far from dangerous. Anyone that puts their vehicle on the track permanently ties off their sensor wires. They’re nothing but a dummy light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:12 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,011
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohor1 View Post
Shorting the sensor wire is far from dangerous. Anyone that puts their vehicle on the track permanently ties off their sensor wires. They’re nothing but a dummy light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I like the dummy light. I know that when it comes on that I have time to plan and purchase. Why not take all the help you can get with a vehicle or otherwise?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:13 PM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
i measured the front rotors and they are 27.5 mm.. so it is a replacement, I did not bother measuring the rears as i don't see the point of keeping just the rear rotors..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:45 PM
sohor1's Avatar
sohor1 sohor1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 337
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
I like the dummy light. I know that when it comes on that I have time to plan and purchase. Why not take all the help you can get with a vehicle or otherwise?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app


Because it will give you false positives when your brake pads are far from requiring replacement...dealer and indy’s eat it up. Just periodically take a glance at your brake pads.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:06 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,011
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
service due light (front brakes)

I get the dealer an Indy thing. I do brakes myself. I use the “dummy light” as an early warning for ordering, preparing, etc. the sensor works out well for me. $15 for a warning instead of visually checking my brakes is fine by me.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-12-2019, 11:56 PM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
almost bought Akebono pads but then reading the reviews changed my mind. Textar should be way better for the performance. Zimmerman rotors and textar pads!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-13-2019, 05:58 AM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,011
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake2000 View Post
almost bought Akebono pads but then reading the reviews changed my mind. Textar should be way better for the performance. Zimmerman rotors and textar pads!


Great choice on both. That’s what I just installed. Be sure to complete the bedding procedure.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post
2mm is ENORMOUS. Specs allow for 1.6mm gone on both sides combined. Needless to add; that is 0.8 mm on a single side.

Good luck on your next downhill trip...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rakes/2T26OGA8



Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
this is for M brakes, not for regular.. regular is 2.4 mm (as per the link you posted )
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-13-2019, 10:42 AM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Great choice on both. That’s what I just installed. Be sure to complete the bedding procedure.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
yes, I saw your post in some other thread..
the bedding procedure - did you mean using the ISTA+? (do you know how to navigate to it?)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Markst Markst is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marg
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: BMW 5
I think the 2.4mm limit in the first section is just a general warning. The sections below say 1.6mm max wear for all 3 sizes
30-28.4=1.6
36-34.4=1.6
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 AM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markst View Post
I think the 2.4mm limit in the first section is just a general warning. The sections below say 1.6mm max wear for all 3 sizes
30-28.4=1.6
36-34.4=1.6
maybe.. but it is hard to believe that after 1.6 mm wear one should replace the rotors.. i think within a year ANY car would have wear 1.6 mm out of any rotors..
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-13-2019, 11:19 AM
deroy deroy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands, Europe
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 759
Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
I think of it like this; 0.8 goes per set of OE pads. When close to 1.6 the rotors will be good for another set of pads. When more than 1.6 is gone they will have eroded more than 2.4 by the end of the pad life.


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 AM
gsnake2000 gsnake2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i (M-Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post
I think of it like this; 0.8 goes per set of OE pads. When close to 1.6 the rotors will be good for another set of pads. When more than 1.6 is gone they will have eroded more than 2.4 by the end of the pad life.


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
i have original pads and rotors.. 45000 km on the car..
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.