Malfunction: Continue wearing seatbelt - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto: F32 43i Coupe
Malfunction: Continue wearing seatbelt

My passenger window was mistakenly left slightly open a night ago and as bad luck may have it, it rained. I dried the surfaces as best as I could but a few seconds after starting the car, I got the dreaded message "Malfunction. Continue wearing the seatbelt.", with the advice of taking it to the dealer. It's outside of warranty so I'm trying to do as much as I can before going to the dealer. I also noticed that that the seatbelt extender stopped working and the seat side bolster adjustment will tighten up but not release.

I'm assuming water must have got to the seat electrics causing the malfunction. Has anyone experienced this malfunction before and if so, what was replaced or reset? I'm going to give it a few days to dry and hope some functions are regained but any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Yes, dry out the car. First soak up as much water as possible from the floor. Then set a fan inside to circulate air with the windows down. If you still get that message check the fuses.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: F32 43i Coupe
Thanks @John MS. After a few days of driving with the heat on and the heated seat turned non for good measure, I no longer get any seatbelt or safety warnings about the passenger side. Seatbelt extender works fine when someone is on the passenger seat. The only thing that does not seem to work is the deflation of the side bolsters and the lumbar support. I'll give those a few days and see what else needs to be done. I'm suspecting the deflate trigger point may have been affected by the moisture but that's just a guess. If anyone knows the inflation and deflation mechanics of the bolster and lumbar support, your advise will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Glad the seatbelt message was resolved. Regarding deflation and support not working be sure to check the fuse(s) first. And to help with the drying be sure to use AC with the heat on.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
#malfunction, #seat malfunction, #seatbelt extender

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search