2007 X5 4.8i engine wont start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Bmw X5 4.8i
2007 X5 4.8i engine wont start

Hello everyone, as I mentioned on title my engine is not starting.. I've encountered a problem with my 2007 X5 that I can't find any info on.

It's a push button start and over the past few weeks it's been somewhat sluggish to start some times. The first crank would sound really weak and then it would start like normal. I thought the battery might finally be dying and put it a new battery..it seems well and normal for 3 weeks but 3 days ago while i was driving the car i stopped for gas..and everything was normal till that time..i bought gas ,get in the car ,hit the start button boom no start..i tried to figure out whats wrong but couldn’t be able to understand the situation..i took the car to garage and they checked the battery,it was fine and new..they said it’s because of the starter,they bought a new oem bosch part but it again didn’t start..they were goin step by step,after starter he said that there is something wrong wih the ground wire,they done it and he called me and said great news car is working everything is fine..i was happy,but when they took off the car from lift they tried to start it again but it didnt..starter works ,engine tries to start but no..so its the whole situation till now..and im making researches for 3 days but all i read is this ground wire..now he says that maybe there is something wrong with the wires,because engine is good and has no problem..but im about to lose my mind..i need my car ,its gonna snow tomorrow..so im hoping that maybe you guys can help me out on this subject..please don’t hesitate to give any of your advices..thanks in advance..wishing everyone a great day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 (N55)
I don't know your engine at all but I'm fairly good at google searches. Try checking your fuses like this guy did: https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...t-start-2.html
He had similar problems and it was the 10 amp fuse on the IVM that had blown.

Last edited by Danno123; 11-06-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Change the fuel pump relay. I am pretty sure your model X5 has a discrete relay. The relay is like $15.

It in the back of the car, on the right side inside the car...you take the panel out to get to where the fuses and battery are. It is the part K6301 in this diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...8i-sav/S0mDroy

The one for my 2009 X5 3.0i was BMW part number 61368373700. As I recall it was green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 PM

To add...my wife's car would start sometimes and die within seconds. Once it was running it was ok. This went on for a couple months. It only happened once or twice a week. It happened while I was in the car that it just cranked and cranked and the starter timer for the push-button just gave up. Car finally started. Got down to debugging and figured it might be the relay. Changed that the next day and it has been fine since. On another note, I had previously changed the starter and it was clear the old starter was weak, so don't feel bad having a new starter.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
Change the fuel pump relay. I am pretty sure your model X5 has a discrete relay. The relay is like $15.

It in the back of the car, on the right side inside the car...you take the panel out to get to where the fuses and battery are. It is the part K6301 in this diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...8i-sav/S0mDroy

The one for my 2009 X5 3.0i was BMW part number 61368373700. As I recall it was green.
Tomorrow im gonna try that fuel pump relay and let you know if its gonna work or not..thanks for the help
Old 11-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Ok , ao these are the codes that thrown by the vehcile..im really not good wih codes,software updates or etc. please help me on this situation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B5513A8-DC5F-411D-91AC-8D1AA369843A.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	871263   Click image for larger version

Name:	F0F07E91-EB57-477B-AEB7-E92354DCB9E7.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	871265  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM

EWS is the system that links up your key to the engine computer. Do you have another key for the car? Try a different key. If not, you'll have to get the one you have resynchronized. Surf on the site for how to do that...it is not easy.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
EWS is the system that links up your key to the engine computer. Do you have another key for the car? Try a different key. If not, you'll have to get the one you have resynchronized. Surf on the site for how to do that...it is not easy.
I have another key but its now working..i tried it before but no luck for me..bytheway really appreciated with your answers and helps..do you have any idea about this situation?im really desperate,forsure im gonna surf on the web but any help gonna make me feel better..
Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Look on the site for EWS sync and some others have done it. I never paid attention to the details in the threads as I didn't need to. I know it isn't simple, but it also isn't impossible. Sometimes comes with battery issues and trying to get a car back working after stuff has happened.

If you are saying the original key is now working, then try all the keys you have and if they all work, just leave it all alone and it may not pop up again.

Last edited by twh; 11-07-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Right now , engine cranks but doesnt start..key works i mean its locking and opening the doors,when you push the start engine button everything shows up normally..but it doesn't start, i coulndt do anything with those error codes..and the garage owner just put the car outside of the garage and told me that he cannot do anything with the codes,you should take your car to dealer..lol , im gonna lose my mind..
Old 11-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
So you had issues. That were resolved by a new battery for 3 weeks. New batteries aren’t charged fully when sitting on a shelf. Only code is a DME fault? Maybe the battery is not being recharged by the alternator or associated connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
So you had issues. That were resolved by a new battery for 3 weeks. New batteries aren’t charged fully when sitting on a shelf. Only code is a DME fault? Maybe the battery is not being recharged by the alternator or associated connections.

Right now it just throws the error codes i posted earlier..so im focused ews and reprogramming the dme..i need to solve the problem asap because its my wifes car and if it doesn’t solved im a dead man .. and they checked the voltage of battery and it was perfect as they said..im open any suggestions, and im still searching on th web about this problem.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 (N55)
It sounds like the immobilizer system (i.e., theft prevention system) is activated and a dealer needs to align the DME and CAS. Supposedly, you can do the alignment yourself if you've got the software but the dealer should be able to do it quickly.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post

Im not sure if it just shows dme error because the garage owner doesn’t have any idea about error codes or computer..my car is just waiting outside at parking lot..i get an appointment from coding expert for monday..im waiting for him to come near the car and hope him to solve the problem..im not sure how much he gonna charge me..im really open for all the solution ideas..i cannot do anything for my car and its driving me crazy..you guys are having lots of experience about kind of problems, where should i start? Im just scared its gonna cost me lots of money..i dont want to sell the car either..just show me starting point..i hope i make myself clear..
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno123 View Post
It sounds like the immobilizer system (i.e., theft prevention system) is activated and a dealer needs to align the DME and CAS. Supposedly, you can do the alignment yourself if you've got the software but the dealer should be able to do it quickly.
I get an appointment from coding expert for monday..if i try to go to stealership its gonna cost me lots of money i think..
Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Ok ,so im done with the coding and it was just a communication error with ews..or something like that..he just fixed it in 5minutes..so the car starts perfectly good..thanks for everyone who helped me on this title..
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 AM

great!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search