2011 X5 35d oil leak on passenger side - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
2011 X5 35d oil leak on passenger side

Have a 2011 X5 35d with 162k miles. Has all the deletes (by PO) and a Malone stage 1.5 tune.

Back in July my 18 year old son drove and as an typical 18 year with that much power had to give blow it out and romp down on it. Shortly after that, the engine started smoking badly and burped oil off the driver's side of the motor. I was out of town and had to send it to a trusted shop. Turns out the swirl flaps were not deleted and the intake manifold was missing a few bolts. Got the swirl flaps deleted, new gaskets installed and all bolts/nuts properly installed. Seemed fine until last week.

After washing mom's car, my 16 year old son took the car out to air dry it. He came back all panicked saying it was smoking bad and oil was dripping out the bottom. He stated "I only got it to 45 MPH". Hmmm. So I fired it up and it was smoking like a freight train. Couldn't tell if it was unburnt fuel or oil. There was another burp of oil, maybe half quart, that came off the passenger side. I could not find the source. The CCV valve is pretty wet though which could have already been like that.

I have run the engine 3 days straight and let it get heated up. Smoke has dissipated and now normal.

Of course, the first thought is turbo(s) but since the smoke has gone away, and oil level has not dropped, not sure what is going on.

I am well versed on TDIs, not so much the 35D. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 12:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Story does not add up the way you describe things...

Burping oil from the swirl flaps - not something that happens, ever, & shouldn't ever happen unless the intake somehow got completely filled with engine oil... Not remotely plausible at all if the issue somehow magically cleared up on its own... Your mechanic would have noticed copious amounts of liquid engine oil inside the intake manifold if this was the case... Where if it actually was the case, he'd be absolutely incompetent & willfully negligent in not mentioning this...

Burping oil from passenger side is typically catastrophically leaking / failed oil cooling lines to the turbo(s), which don't fix themselves... Ever...

Define what you mean by "burp"... Do you mean a visible large gush of a lot of oil pouring out right before your eyes? Or are you using hyperbole to simply get across that you saw visible signs of oil residue that shouldn't be there?

What color was the smoke? Blue? White? Black? Grey? If you're well versed with any Diesel engine, you already know that the color of smoke is as important as where the smoke is coming from... Which also brings up the question of where was the smoke coming from during these separate instances of oil burping out of the engine?

What is this "CCV Valve" you speak of? Are you referring to the flexible rubber PCV tube that has wires attached to it? Are you referring to the PCV manifold that sits on top of the valve cover? There is no such thing as a "CCV Valve" on the M57 engine.

If the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (ie PCV) system is plugged up, then the crankcase could be pressurizing under certain conditions, which could plausibly "burp" oil out of various seals on the engine, or push oil to places it should not be, as well as causing a host of other issues that will eventually lead to either turbos failing, and / or catastrophic engine failure, which do not fix themselves...

Sounds an awful lot like the apples did not fall far from the tree...

Last edited by SPL15; 11-13-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanks for "chiming in"

CCV was typo, meant PCV

Burp = less than half a of oil, but not duplicated since

Finally got a chance to dig into it and after further inspection appears the valve cover/PCV assembly is bad

"Sounds an awful lot like the apples did not fall far from the tree..."
I presume this is a condescending swipe at my inferior VAG experience

If so, just trying to learn, no need for the attitude
If not, not sure what you mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 10:18 PM

Sorry for being abrasive, I was a little annoyed with the lack of useful info on your post, but that's not reason to be an ass.

The "apples not falling far from the tree" was in reference to your two boys obviously liking diesel power, which I'm assuming you do as well, considering you bought a deleted diesel with a tune

If a "burp" of undefined quantity of oil did in fact come out of the valve cover, or the PCV hose, do not drive the car until you find out why... Your reply still didn't quantify what you mean by "burp" due to what looks like a typo... A half cup? A half quart? A half gallon? A half tablespoon? Did you visibly see the "burp" as it occurred, or did you simply see a mess of oil splatter that looked to be from a previous "burp" of oil that you did not actually see happen, as it was literally happening?

Residual oil is normal out of the PCV hose, and can look like a crap ton of oil has been blown out of it if left broken for a long time; however, I can't think of any plausible scenario where an appreciable quantity of oil could "burp" out of the PCV hose besides the car being flipped onto its side (which obviously did not happen). Possibly, if the crankcase is being pressurized due to leaking upper intake runner gaskets, then the additional airflow could possibly move higher quantity of oil out of the PCV system? Not sure about that though...

If the valve cover gasket is leaking to the point of "burping" out oil, then somehow the crankcase is most definitely being significantly pressurized, where the only thing that would cause this is the PCV system being plugged up (not likely), or intake boost is being sent into the crankcase from a leaky valve cover gasket around one or more of the upper intake runners (the round intake ports on the valve cover).

If the crankcase is being chronically pressurized, you may see oil seeping out of the transmission bell housing at the rear of the engine, as oil can be pushed passed the rear main seal. On the M57 engine, it is very unlikely that the PCV system is blocked (unlike the pressure regulated CCV system on naturally aspirated BMW engines). If the issue is in fact a pressurized crankcase from intake boost leaking into the crankcase (likely), then absolutely do not drive the car until this is fixed, don't risk it at all. A pressurized crankcase puts back pressure on the oil pump / oil return lines, which will reduce / change oil flow & distribution to very important things that are very expensive & difficult to replace (eg failed turbo bearings at best, or spun crankshaft bearings at worse).

Don't overlook the turbo oil cooling lines, as these are known leakers that, in some rare instances, have visibly "burped" large quantities of oil all over the passenger side of the engine.

My uninformed, completely speculative, "internet expert" guess, that's worth far less than the amount of electricity used to post this, is that you have a boost leak into the crankcase due to leaky valve cover gaskets around the upper intake runner ports. This issue is MUCH more common than most folks know, where I'd also speculate this to be a major cause of the rarely reported catastrophic engine failure (usually a spun main bearing), especially after a delete & tune on a high mileage car.

Last edited by SPL15; 11-14-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Thanks for clearing my jump to conclusion/misunderstanding. Sorry about that.

The burp is less than half a quart which landed on the subframe and ground. Did not see it. Just the after effects.

This is my wife's DD. She drives it very easy. Too easy. I think the PCV/valve cover is causing the issue with allowing too much oil into the intact side, pools at the bottom of the pressure pipes and intercooler and then when a 16 or 18 year gets the chance to flaunt 500+ ft/lbs of torque, that oil gets moved up through intake/exhaust and any questionable seal in the process "burbs" it out. The short pipe connecting the PCV from the valve cover to the intake side of the small turbo is very wet with oil. Otherwise there are no oil leaks. Did check back of large turbo. No shaft play or oil around the shaft/seal.

I have a new valve cover/PCV assembly from BMW that will be going on tomorrow. Will check turbo pressure hoses for excess oil as well.

FWIW, my 2012 Tiguan TDI stage 2 tune nor my son's 2005 Passat TDI manual with stage 2 tune never gets the chance to pool any oil in the pipes.LOL
Old 11-17-2019, 04:43 PM

I think you'll find the above youtube video pretty applicable to your situation. Again, recommend not driving the car due to the risk of blowing the turbos or spinning a crank bearing.

Replacing the valve cover is a real PIA... It's especially frustrating if any of the injectors are stuck... Your 2011 shouldn't have the stupid issue of injector shims like a lot of 2012 models required due to incorrectly machined heads. Definitely replace all of the copper crush seals and rubber o-rings on the injectors, ESPECIALLY the copper crush washers though. Also, buy the injector puller, or borrow one, you'll thank yourself.

"While you're in there", I'd get all the parts to replace the vacuum system hoses, vacuum canister / bracket, both high & low pressure turbo wastegate pressure converters, and the HP turbo compressor bypass vacuum solenoid. You've got to remove the vacuum system bracket & all the stuff attached to get the valve cover off.

Can be easily done in a day DIY if you're comfortable / familiar with things, but I took 3 days to replace my valve cover gaskets due to a stuck #5 injector that I ended up destroying while trying to remove it. It's not a "hard" job (assuming th injectors aren't seized), but it is tedious to the point where I'd plan for 2 days if you aren't all that familiar with the M57 engine on the E70; the last thing you want to do is get frustrated / tired and do sloppy work trying to put it all back together at 2 AM in time for work early the next morning...

If you're planning on having your mechanic do the work, I'd definitely have them do the vacuum system replacement while they have everything apart, assuming they're an honest shop who doesn't double dip on the calculate shop hours. Some less honest shops will try to charge you full book hours for each job that has the same exact preliminary disassembly process.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search