Rubber Block under the front end of a 525iT - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Rubber Block under the front end of a 525iT

What's it for? There (was) a small rubber block under the front end of my wife's 525iT, which she knocked off driving through a deep rut (we live on a gravel road) awhile back. We ordered a new block when she was in for her oil change the other day, and at the time, the SA recommended "not putting it back" because "no one here knows what its for, and all it does is reduces your ground clearance and gets knocked off"... Well, I still believe that most German engineers (and engineers generally) will not attach things to the bottom of a car for no apparent reason. It has to serve a purpose, somehow. Maybe it just is to get knocked off, in defense of something else... not sure. Can anyone enlighten me? I plan to put it back myself (my SA indicated that it would cost $45 to reinstall, which is absurd because from what I can tell, it attaches just like the side jacking points do, which is with a large push pin)... It will literally take longer to slide under the car (no easy task for me, mind you) then it will be to install it... Just want to know what I am risking getting squished for... Thanks in advance!

Old 03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
the one kind of under the engine? I think that's a jacking point.... Your SA is hilarious, nobody knows what it's for.....
Mike
'91 M5 Alpine White II / Silver Gray
'03 Range Rover County, LWB
'12 MB GL350 diesel
Old 03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottati
the one kind of under the engine? I think that's a jacking point.... Your SA is hilarious, nobody knows what it's for.....
Mike
Worse yet, when I suggested that it was jacking point, he emphatically told me that, "no way" was it a jacking point! He even said that with a tone to his voice that made it sound like I had blasphemed! Hmmm, looks like a jacking point, centrally located at a great location for a floor jack to lift both front wheels off the ground... Jacking point?! No way.... Now, it may not be a jacking point, I've been fooled before, but until someone tells me what else it is, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Old 03-25-2004, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Montego Blau E91 6spd
It's used as a front jack point on the E39. See the link for more answers.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/jack/jack.htm

I have been using that block as the front jacking point for as long as I have my car. Most SA are dumb azzes when it comes down to any mechanical things.

Tell your SA to go to parts department and pull up Diag 31_0617 FRONT AXLE SUPPORT/WISHBONE for E39 in ETK and look for #19 - JACK FIXTURE P/N 31-11-1-093-712

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
Author Unknown

Last edited by Tom S.; 03-25-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: For fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S.

I have been using that block as the front jacking point for as long as I have my car. Most SA are dumb azzes when it comes down to any mechanical things.

Tell your SA to go to parts department and pull up Diag 31_0617 FRONT AXLE SUPPORT/WISHBONE for E39 in ETK and look for #19 - JACK FIXTURE P/N 31-11-1-093-712

Old 03-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S.

Thanks for the link and the ETK info. I'll bring it to my SAs attention when I go to pick up the part. As mentioned in the link, using that jack up point is not BMW authorized, thus possibly his reason for freaking out when I suggested that as it's use... My guess is that in other (non-litiguous) parts of the world, it's a perfectly good jacking point, but here in the US where many sue first and think later, BMW is probably scared to offer anything that might be construed as approval, that might then cause you to sue if you get squished... I find it highly amusing that even though it is not an "authorized" jacking point, it has "jack fixture" in its name... Thanks again for the info!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Yes they are your jack blocks, and the ones for the E46 are only about $5 a piece. I lost all four off my car when the goverment shipped it back to the US. I am surprised to see that the part numbers are different. I would have thought that would be one of those parts that could be common to the entire model line.

I need to replace them and will do it DIY.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=Jack+blocks
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
Yes they are your jack blocks, and the ones for the E46 are only about $5 a piece. I lost all four off my car when the goverment shipped it back to the US. I am surprised to see that the part numbers are different. I would have thought that would be one of those parts that could be common to the entire model line.

I need to replace them and will do it DIY.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=Jack+blocks
The one I am talking about is the one under the front end of a 5er, not sure if it's even on a 3er, have not noticed one when I was under my car... It's kind of shaped sort of like a rubber / metal wedge, vs. the box shape of the four on the sides... The first time we mentioned that it was missing to our dealer, they assumed we meant that four box ones, and said that they were all there... until I sent my wife back in with the offending part in hand, they had no clue what we were talking about... On a side note, I lost one of the box ones off my car to the ravages of a car wash of all things (I know, I know, car washes are evil... but I live on a dirt road and if I hand washed my car all the time, it would be a full time job!)... anyway, the block popped out and got jammed under my rocker cover, proceeding to tear it... $300 later, new rocker cover and block, and even the body shop manager was surprised at how inexpensive the blocks are... it would be interesting to know how / why yours came up missing... Good Luck with your DIY!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator
The one I am talking about is the one under the front end of a 5er, not sure if it's even on a 3er, have not noticed one when I was under my car... It's kind of shaped sort of like a rubber / metal wedge, vs. the box shape of the four on the sides... The first time we mentioned that it was missing to our dealer, they assumed we meant that four box ones, and said that they were all there... until I sent my wife back in with the offending part in hand, they had no clue what we were talking about... On a side note, I lost one of the box ones off my car to the ravages of a car wash of all things (I know, I know, car washes are evil... but I live on a dirt road and if I hand washed my car all the time, it would be a full time job!)... anyway, the block popped out and got jammed under my rocker cover, proceeding to tear it... $300 later, new rocker cover and block, and even the body shop manager was surprised at how inexpensive the blocks are... it would be interesting to know how / why yours came up missing... Good Luck with your DIY!
Ahhh...I see what you are talking about. I should have waited for the pictures to load...the LAN here is slow today.

As for my side jack blocks...

When I was reassigned from the UK to the US my car was shipped by a comercial car transpot company. When I picked up my car here in the US and was inspecting the car, there were three of the rubber blocks on the floor of the back seat of my car. When I asked where they had come from, the attendent told me they were shipping parts they forgot to dispose of when they were prepping my car, appologized and chucked them in a trash bin. It didn't occur to me at the time what they were. Later, as I mentioned in my attached thread, I went to change my tire and ALL FOUR ARE GONE Since months had gone by, and I had already signed the release for my car, I couldn't go back and file a claim.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
Ahhh...I see what you are talking about. I should have waited for the pictures to load...the LAN here is slow today.

As for my side jack blocks...

When I was reassigned from the UK to the US my car was shipped by a comercial car transpot company. When I picked up my car here in the US and was inspecting the car, there were three of the rubber blocks on the floor of the back seat of my car. When I asked where they had come from, the attendent told me they were shipping parts they forgot to dispose of when they were prepping my car, appologized and chucked them in a trash bin. It didn't occur to me at the time what they were. Later, as I mentioned in my attached thread, I went to change my tire and ALL FOUR ARE GONE Since months had gone by, and I had already signed the release for my car, I couldn't go back and file a claim.
The worst part is, without those blocks and the accompanying pins holding them in place, you have been driving around with four holes in the rockers of your car! Hopefully not too much water and crud got in there in the meanwhile... When mine got ripped out, I coverd the hole with a piece of duct tape, just in case... It's probably not a a big concern, as those rockers are flooded with wax (to prevent rust) as part of the construction process, but I would definitely re-install them as soon as you can!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto:
rubber blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator
What's it for? There (was) a small rubber block under the front end of my wife's 525iT, which she knocked off driving through a deep rut (we live on a gravel road) awhile back. We ordered a new block when she was in for her oil change the other day, and at the time, the SA recommended "not putting it back" because "no one here knows what its for, and all it does is reduces your ground clearance and gets knocked off"... Well, I still believe that most German engineers (and engineers generally) will not attach things to the bottom of a car for no apparent reason. It has to serve a purpose, somehow. Maybe it just is to get knocked off, in defense of something else... not sure. Can anyone enlighten me? I plan to put it back myself (my SA indicated that it would cost $45 to reinstall, which is absurd because from what I can tell, it attaches just like the side jacking points do, which is with a large push pin)... It will literally take longer to slide under the car (no easy task for me, mind you) then it will be to install it... Just want to know what I am risking getting squished for... Thanks in advance!

The blocks are to prevent damage when hoisting car. If you don't replace you will have air enter the hole when travelling at high speeds which will create wind noise coming into cabin from underneath car. I had lost one as well and noticed the wind noise immediately at about 50 - 60 MPH but replacement fixed noise
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
E39 Support Lifting Platform 51-71-7-001-650

For the record, there's a related thread to xref to titled:
*******>********>*******>********>

bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267424

Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 528i 2000
I lost this center front jack point the first time I jacked my car this way. Looks like all Jacking points don't fit the head of the normal Jack? For the four side jack blocks, I don't know if it's safe to put jack stand under it, it looks fragile since it's made by plastic!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Realtor

Mein Auto: 2007 328i - Barbera Red
Geez. Glad I saw this. I don't have any of those at any of the jacking points!

2007 328i
2000 528i M-Tech 5spd
1987 325is
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Realtor

Mein Auto: 2007 328i - Barbera Red
Ok guys. Since all 4 of mine are missing, I've been doing some checking. Are these things really about $15 each? Has anyone found a source with a more reasonable price?

2007 328i
2000 528i M-Tech 5spd
1987 325is
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Coole Russen

Send a message via MSN to Vadim540i
Mein Auto: e39 540i/6, Lexus GS430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator View Post
the SA recommended "not putting it back" because "no one here knows what its for, and all it does is reduces your ground clearance and gets knocked off"...

It's jacking point.

Jet black 1999 BMW 540i 6 MT
Black SC'd Lexus GS430

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search