Stall when cold and in reverse. 2013 X5d - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Tundra
Stall when cold and in reverse. 2013 X5d

This is mostly a weekend car that sits in the garage during the week. I never let it sit more than 6 days without having a Battery Tender Plus connected. Less than 5,000 miles. Always use 76 S15 diesel fuel. About 1/3rd of the time I back it out of the garage when the outside temp is below 45 F, it will stall in the driveway. The driveway has a slight incline. Its never hard to start and will always restart and runs just fine after I get out of the driveway and shift into drive.

I just know the dealer is going to say "we couldn't replicate the issue" if I take it in. I was hoping to get some suggestions here before approaching the dealer.

Possibilities I've run across through a search:

VANOS solenoid
Transmission
Fuel Injectors
Idle Control Valve

I do have an OBDII reader, but haven't tried to hook it up yet.

My 1st diesel automobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Does it do it when you part it pointing in the 'reverse' direction??? You dont say which way the incline goes...but try backing in and then, when cod, drive out forwards- see what happens. Just useful diagnostic data (and cheap to collect. )

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 01-05-2015, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
This is mostly a weekend car that sits in the garage during the week. I never let it sit more than 6 days without having a Battery Tender Plus connected. Less than 5,000 miles. Always use 76 S15 diesel fuel. About 1/3rd of the time I back it out of the garage when the outside temp is below 45 F, it will stall in the driveway. The driveway has a slight incline. Its never hard to start and will always restart and runs just fine after I get out of the driveway and shift into drive.

I just know the dealer is going to say "we couldn't replicate the issue" if I take it in. I was hoping to get some suggestions here before approaching the dealer.

Possibilities I've run across through a search:

VANOS solenoid
Transmission
Fuel Injectors
Idle Control Valve

I do have an OBDII reader, but haven't tried to hook it up yet.

My 1st diesel automobile.
I have faced similar situation too when its cold and the vehicle is inclined. Mine didn't stall but felt like going to.Mine did while moving forward.

To me it feels like torque converter locking up. Definitely something to do with transmission.It could be low transmission oil level.I am just guessing.But i am gonna change transmission oil once weather gets warmer.Mine did 2-3 times in the last 3-4 months.

Our diesel doesn't have VANOS solenoid and Idle Control Valve.They are only in gasoline engines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Does it do it when you part it pointing in the 'reverse' direction??? You dont say which way the incline goes...but try backing in and then, when cod, drive out forwards- see what happens. Just useful diagnostic data (and cheap to collect. )
I back out of the garage and down the inclined driveway. I'll try backing in and driving out forward this weekend.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-sport
Quote:
I back out of the garage and down the inclined driveway. I'll try backing in and driving out forward this weekend.
Diesels do not have VANOS or idle control valves - and the injector(s) should not really be a problem.

I assume you drive it frequently enough that you are now using a winter fuel?

Did driving forward cause it to stall as well?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I had the same issue. The only code I was able to read was related to the fuel filter heating element. I am not sure if it is related, but it seems to make sense since it did it only during cold days. I deleted the code and I have not hade the issue again. Code is 4b1c.

I will try to re-create the issue in the morning
Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 PM

I just checked and no fault codes were detected. I last refueled 21-Dec and it stalled on Christmas day and New Years eve. It has never stalled driving forward, but then I have never driven it forward down the inclined driveway either.

I should also say that I've usually got the steering wheel cranked to one side when it stalls because the 3rd bay of my garage is near trees alongside the driveway. If I backed straight out of the garage I would brush up against the tree branches.

When it does stall it is a fairly violent jerking stop. Its not just like the motor stalls and the car quits rolling backward.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 AM

I tried to recreate the issue this morning with the temperature at 14 degrees. It did not happen.

The only times it happened to me was when I left the car on the more pronounced incline in my driveway. Similar to your case, I was turning the wheel.

The other code came up again so it must be unrelated.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 PM

Took it out for the first time since last week. 49 degrees F and stalled while backing down the driveway again. It was going OK until I cut the steering wheel to the right and then stalled. I backed in in the garage tonight to see if it stalls while going forward next time.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

When you do drive it.... do you get it up to operating temp and drive it for at least 30-40 miles?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 01-19-2015, 09:54 PM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Yesterday I drove about 10 miles one-way, parked it for a half hour and then drove back home. About 5 miles on highway at 70-75 mph.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM

My 2009 35D CPO also finally stalled while reversing on a inclined driveway(down slope).My driveway is higher than the street.At first it felt like as its running under load after putting it in a gear.But i wasn't turning the steering wheel at all.I was filming everyday while reversing as i knew that its gonna stall one day so that i can show it to the dealer.I scanned it with rheingold and no error codes.

Strange thing is that when it stalls, transmission changes to neutral and within a second if i start it again,it runs just normal like nothing happened at all.

Dropped it off at the dealer last night for some other work and see what happens.I am still expecting their obvious answer "we cant replicate the issue".

If they come up with same answer then i will try to log the rail pressure while reversing in the morning.But to me its feels like torque converter is some how stalling it.Also i noticed that when i try to accelerate forward from the inclined driveway, even after taking off my foot from the throttle pedal to the brake pedal,it still wants to go and want to stall.But it only does when its cold.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 PM

Update:

Got my X5 back from the dealer and tech said that they ran test plan for engine staling and their "diagnostic system" suggested software update.So they updated my DDE to the latest version.I don't know if its just in my head but it feels like more powerful at low rpm's and less lag specially from 0 to 50 km/hr range.
Also i noticed that there are more fuel consumption units like km/ltr in the CCC settings menu which i think were not there before but not sure.

Time will tell if software update will address the stalling issue or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	487839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0076.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	487840  

Last edited by ninja_zx11; 01-21-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM

It's most likely due to transmission being low on oil. Time to change oil & filter/pan.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
The engine RPM's should be increasing when the wheel is turned. I believe the suggested increase is 200 RPM's. Could you verify that the RPM's are increase on normal operation?
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Mine was not stalling because of the steering wheel movement.Engine was cutting out on a inclined driveway without even touching the steering wheel.

I still feel that its something with the transmission or torque converter but time will tell.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 PM

I've been much more diligent about keeping the battery on the charger when not in use and haven't experienced any more stalls while backing down my driveway.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:22 PM

Stalling resumed. Took to dealer in January. Unable to replicate, but I gave them video of the stalls. "Found DDE requesting a regeneration of the DPF". Stalls continued. 2nd time at dealer last week. " As per PUMA, checked tranny fluid at 25 degrees. Added half quart".

Wait & see.

They also performed a recall "per SIB replaced air mass meter"

Last edited by deptrai; 02-29-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Stalling resumed. Took to dealer in January. Unable to replicate, but I gave them video of the stalls. "Found DDE requesting a regeneration of the DPF". Stalls continued. 2nd time at dealer last week. " As per PUMA, checked tranny fluid at 25 degrees. Added half quart".

Wait & see.
Thanks for the update!

Old 02-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3, E70 X5
FYI - I was experiencing the stall issue right before the battery died (when it got cold). I haven't had the problem since I replaced the battery. It also hasn't been quite as cold so I can't definitively say it was a battery issue. YMMV
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim13x View Post
FYI - I was experiencing the stall issue right before the battery died (when it got cold). I haven't had the problem since I replaced the battery. It also hasn't been quite as cold so I can't definitively say it was a battery issue. YMMV

Did you ever get the high discharge battery warning?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3, E70 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5done View Post
Did you ever get the high discharge battery warning?
I did. When the weather got cold back in January I noticed the starter was straining a bit. Then it started stalling when it was cold. Finally, three weeks ago at the end of a 5 hour trip my dash lit up with an 'engine malfunction' message along with 'excessive battery discharge'. It started up for the trip home (showing excessive discharge the entire way). I got home and put it on a battery tender over night but it was no use. Completely flat in the morning.

I bought the OEM battery ($230 getbmwparts.com), registered it and it's been running like a new car ever since.

I also bought a CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger. I plan to charge it every two weeks or so. I don't drive a lot and when I do my trips are short so I think I killed the battery.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d (E70)
Same issue. 2011 d iesel e70 intermittently misfires/stalls in reverse on downhill grade on cold starts only. Has been to dealer 3x. Dealer unable to replicate issue. Have presented dealer with video evidence. 1st visit - no stored fault codes. 2nd visit - stored fault related to EGR but no check engine. Reprogrammed computer as recommended. 3rd visit - no stored fault codes. Replaced mass air flow sensor as recommended. The issue has not been resolved. Very frustrated. Has anyone here been able to find/fix the real issue?
Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmstevensiii View Post
Same issue. 2011 d iesel e70 intermittently misfires/stalls in reverse on downhill grade on cold starts only. Has been to dealer 3x. Dealer unable to replicate issue. Have presented dealer with video evidence. 1st visit - no stored fault codes. 2nd visit - stored fault related to EGR but no check engine. Reprogrammed computer as recommended. 3rd visit - no stored fault codes. Replaced mass air flow sensor as recommended. The issue has not been resolved. Very frustrated. Has anyone here been able to find/fix the real issue?
How many miles

Has it always dine this? Can you describe the history of this symptom?

Has the ATF ever been serviced?

Battery serviced? Ever?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
This sounds like a classic case of fuel starvation due to a leak somewhere and BMW service techs relying totally on the computer to tell them what parts to throw it. A small leak in the fuel system in a diesel vehicle usually won't throw any codes because there's nothing monitored there to throw a code.

I suspect there's a slow leak in the fuel system somewhere allowing air to enter and causing the HPFP to lose prime while the car sits parked overnight. The stall occurs due to the HPFP running almost dry (!) but restarts OK because the system got reprimed during the brief running just before the stall.

The clueless BMW service techs aren't doing you any favors by throwing parts at it according to what the computer tells them.

Any signs of leaks around the fuel filter??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 03-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search