Do models equipped with Michelin Pilot Sports come with a spare? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X4 F26 (2015 - Current)

X4 F26 (2015 - Current)
The X4 is a baby X6 and shares a platform with the F25 X3. The F26 X4 is the ultimate combination of sporty and sports utility.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i
Do models equipped with Michelin Pilot Sports come with a spare?

Do X4s that come with Michelin Pilot Sports also come with a jack and spare tire since Pilot Sports are not runflat tires? My new X4 M40i came with runflat Pirelli P Zeros; I'd like to change to Pilot Sports but how does BMW deal with flats if the car isn't delivered with runflats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 PM
BMWCCA '505245

Send a message via AIM to LycanNyc
Mein Auto: F80 ZCP
You have 19" it does come with Pirelli otherwise the 20" are only MPSS no spare or runflats

7/14 - 3/16 | 14' X3 Msport
3/16 - 7/18 | 16' X4 M40i LBB
7/18 -Present | 17' F80 ZCP
WishList - X3M or X4M

Member: BMWCCA #505245
Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 PM

Really surprised a car company would sell a new vehicle with no spare and no runflats. It saves weight and saves money so if the public accepts it I expect all cars to soon be delivered without spare tires, regardless of whether they are equipped with runflats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Building an X4 on BMWUSA.com, if you get the non-RFT's, it throws in the optional spare tire for free. Our 2018 (G01) X3 30i xDrive also came with a free spare with the 19" non-RFT's
Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM

So the car can carry a spare! That is great news as I'm probably going to ditch the run flats when it needs new tires. I guess I need to examine the floor of the cargo area to ensure there's a well to store the spare and jack...
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Building an X4 on BMWUSA.com, if you get the non-RFT's, it throws in the optional spare tire for free. Our 2018 (G01) X3 30i xDrive also came with a free spare with the 19" non-RFT's
Is there an actual space in the floor under the trunk to store the spare in your X3?
Cause in my X4 (2016) there is no place to store one even if they were to provide it when choosing the non-RFTs, which they didn't.

GG
Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Is there an actual space in the floor under the trunk to store the spare in your X3?
Cause in my X4 (2016) there is no place to store one even if they were to provide it when choosing the non-RFTs, which they didn't.

GG
I assume the X4 is (now) like the G01 X3. There's a raised cargo area floor if you get the spare tire, creating a space for the mini spare. If you get a flat though, the flat full-size tire and wheel has to go somewhere, either the cargo compartment or the back seat. I always carry large plastic leaf bags to wrap a flat tire.

The raised floor is actually good for getting heavy stuff in and out of the cargo area easily. My biggest loads are cases of bottled water. Six cases of 40 half-liter bottles fits in the back. I can't deploy the cargo cover. But that's o.k., nobody's going to break in to steal water, unless we're in the apocalypse.

My F10 5 Series didn't offer a spare. The spare rim off of the previous X5 (E70) works with an centering ring. Not having a flat floor is a big PIA, especially for a run to Sam's for water, etc. My F10 hasn't been to Sam's since we got the G01 X3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171106 piciture of 2018 X3 cargo area with spare tire.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	795420  
Old 05-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X4 M40i
Quote:
I assume the X4 is (now) like the G01 X3. There's a raised cargo area floor if you get the spare tire, creating a space for the mini spare. If you get a flat though, the flat full-size tire and wheel has to go somewhere, either the cargo compartment or the back seat. I always carry large plastic leaf bags to wrap a flat tire.

The raised floor is actually good for getting heavy stuff in and out of the cargo area easily. My biggest loads are cases of bottled water. Six cases of 40 half-liter bottles fits in the back. I can't deploy the cargo cover. But that's o.k., nobody's going to break in to steal water, unless we're in the apocalypse.

My F10 5 Series didn't offer a spare. The spare rim off of the previous X5 (E70) works with an centering ring. Not having a flat floor is a big PIA, especially for a run to Sam's for water, etc. My F10 hasn't been to Sam's since we got the G01 X3.
Well that raised floor essentially eats up a whole lot of trunk space permanently.
If I had to pick between having a spare and losing the space or no spare and more space, I would be ok with no spare... especially given that the X4 has less trunk space to start with. I drive quite a bit and just haven't had that many flat tires. I also have a CAA (like AAA) membership anyway cause i have an e30 as a second car, so if ever the BMW roadside assistance is too slow, I can just use that one instead.

GG
Old 05-23-2018, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
I thought all BMWs with non-runflats came with a BMW 'mobility kit', essentially an electric compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. There is an option for a spare tire as well.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW X4 M40i
Do models equipped with Michelin Pilot Sports come with a spare?

Glad I checked here... I need a replacement tire and thought my X4 had run flats... America's Tire set me straight and showed me on their computer how the 20" pilots don't come in run flats. Not sure how I feel about no run flats and no spare but at least the new tire is cheaper than what I've paid for run flats on my Stingray.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlew64 View Post
Glad I checked here... I need a replacement tire and thought my X4 had run flats... America's Tire set me straight and showed me on their computer how the 20" pilots don't come in run flats. Not sure how I feel about no run flats and no spare but at least the new tire is cheaper than what I've paid for run flats on my Stingray.
You may want to read up on what can happen when one tire is newer than the rest. Not good for our x-drive technology.
So, first thing to consider is how old, actually how much thread left, on the other three tires?
The issue is all about how many revolution each wheel makes over a mile (RPM). As I understand it, having different numbers on the same axle is "acceptable." The difference in RPM is taken care of by the differentials. However, the *average* RPM between the two axles must be very, very close in order not to wear out the transfer case.

No offense to the average Joe at America's Tires, but he wouldn't have a clue about this issue.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:

Just ordered an X4 M40i with a spare. The floor is not raised in the X4 with spare as in the X3 with spare.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 3.5i, 2016 228i
I just got a 2019 X4 xDrive30i with PZero 20" non run flats and it has a space saver spare in the rear with a flat floor. I did not order it.
I seem to remember that these 20" wheels and non run flat tires are standard with the M Sports pkg and that a spare is automatically added to the built.
The 2020 builds may vary. Check the MY 2020 Order Guide. Maybe those who order a spare with a similar build as mine are giving BMW a extra $150.00 or so.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithatel View Post
I just got a 2019 X4 xDrive30i with PZero 20" non run flats and it has a space saver spare in the rear with a flat floor. I did not order it.
I seem to remember that these 20" wheels and non run flat tires are standard with the M Sports pkg and that a spare is automatically added to the built.
The 2020 builds may vary. Check the MY 2020 Order Guide. Maybe those who order a spare with a similar build as mine are giving BMW a extra $150.00 or so.
That's good news. When we ordered our 2018 X3 30i, I wanted a square set-up and all-season tires. With the M Sport package, that meant only RFT's. For the base and Luxury Line, we had a choice of RFT's or non-RFT's. I really liked the looks of the M Sport package, but not enough to accept RFT's. So we saved $2k by getting the Luxury Line instead.

I wish BMW would make wheels and tires a la carte:

Set-ups would be either square or staggered.

Wheels would come in silver, gray, or black.

Tires would come in RFT's or non-RFT's, summer high performance or touring/performance all-season.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X4 F26 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search