Just Ordered 2019 M550i - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 AM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
On lag time - I just placed this order with my CA on Saturday so he is still waiting on approval from BMWNA. But his assessment is it would add 3-4 weeks...apparently they only produce the individual paints during one day each month or something? And PCD of course added another couple weeks.

Price, I'm essentially at $5k below MSRP right now. From what I gather that's not great but not terrible. This is before incentives and given the wait time, we're hoping some of the better holiday incentives appear before I have to wrap everything up.

I'm sure I could've gotten a better deal if I pushed harder or whatever, but I was mostly happy with where we ended up.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 AM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,692
Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
On lag time - I just placed this order with my CA on Saturday so he is still waiting on approval from BMWNA. But his assessment is it would add 3-4 weeks...apparently they only produce the individual paints during one day each month or something? And PCD of course added another couple weeks.

Price, I'm essentially at $5k below MSRP right now. From what I gather that's not great but not terrible. This is before incentives and given the wait time, we're hoping some of the better holiday incentives appear before I have to wrap everything up.

I'm sure I could've gotten a better deal if I pushed harder or whatever, but I was mostly happy with where we ended up.
An extra month is about right. It was explained to me that the car is removed from the main assembly line and moved to the separate "M" building for painting "by hand" (i.e., not a paint robot). All of the secondary parts are painted too, bumpers, mirrors. You won't find any coloration differences for such items with Individual.
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-28-2018, 04:07 PM
dbaggett dbaggett is offline
Aston BMW Bonanza Drivers
Location: Mountain View, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2017 DB11, 2017 Golf R
19 vs 20 inch wheels

I have 19inch wheels. Drove 2800 miles in Europe before having it shipped home to California. Also drove it at Spa on a track day - it is NOT a good track car (my son's M4 is much better, as we took it to the Nurburgring in 2015). Anyhow, I love the 19inch wheels as the ride matches the smoothness and comfort of the M550. Seem to remember somewhere folks posting negative comments about the 20 inch wheels, but can't remember, but if they are lower profile, they will ride harsher, probably without any real advantage on cornering. Probably gets down to taste, as I haven't seen any with 20inch wheels to compare. Enjoy the car. I have.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Glaird Glaird is offline
Glaird
Location: USA, Pacific Coast
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 729
Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
The only thing I can add is that those of us that live in states that actually spend transportation/gas taxes on repairing roads. And, if those roads are as smooth as a racetrack or the autobahn, go with the bling 20" wheels and low profile tires. For those of us that live in the other 50 states, that quite literally do have roads that swallow entire cars, I'd stick with the 19" rims and slightly higher profile tire, for buffering those sharp edges. When I ordered my M4, we had to delay several months before BMW realized that 20" wheels w/no other options were a liability, we finally got good handling tires on 19" wheels. I've raced a few cars in my day. I'll match up my M4 w/19" rims against anyone anywhere w/20" rims. (Except, I'm the one driving home without a cracked rim and fractured side wall. :-) )

Last edited by Glaird; 08-28-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-28-2018, 04:44 PM
kazaz kazaz is offline
Registered User
Location: rancho mirage, ca
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2018 m550x
2018 M550 $1950 Silver

Just had my 2018 M550 Dinan S1 package installed at Encinitas BMW fro $2276. What a bargain. Dinan claims it's now 590 HP and 650 TQ, and I believe them. The absolute cheapest way to turn an M550 into an M5. Also, my expensive silver is a great color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 M550 .jpg
Views:	187
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	815619  
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:03 PM
wtmeyer wtmeyer is offline
Registered User
Location: Elkridge, MD
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 550i GT
Say NO to the 20" wheels on Atlanta roads. You will end up with damaged run-flat ties and bent rims. My wife managed to damage a 20" wheel while test driving a 650iX. She hit a pothole and a few minutes later the low tire pressure light came on. Drove back to the dealership and said no thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:08 PM
rtlee rtlee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 406
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmeyer View Post
Say NO to the 20" wheels on Atlanta roads. You will end up with damaged run-flat ties and bent rims. My wife managed to damage a 20" wheel while test driving a 650iX. She hit a pothole and a few minutes later the low tire pressure light came on. Drove back to the dealership and said no thank you.
Is there a huge difference between the 19" and 20" tires? Or are the 19" pretty susceptible to the same road issues?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:44 PM
scsfll scsfll is offline
Registered User
Location: Fort Lauderdale
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW M550X
No to the 20's

Coming out of a 16 M550I Carbon Black/Brown. Had '12 M550I Carbon/blk interior before. Waiting for my M550 to be delivered. I took Graphite. If you ARE going with 20's please put the Pilots on it. The RFT's were taken off of my cars before they left the dealer. Too bad the 20 rim isn't available in a 19 for the M550.

I live in South Florida and when I want a rough ride I have a 911 turbo with 20's. Not for my M550 which will be my daily driver.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:45 PM
545iSMG 545iSMG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 307
Mein Auto: 2018 M550i
Congratulations on the order! Trust me, you will grin from ear to ear each and every day you drive that car!! As I'm sure you know, and with apologies to Tom Petty (God rest his soul), the waiting is the hardest part. Also, getting the individual paint may cause you to wait a little longer but choosing the PCD option delays it even more I think...

It'll all be worth it...and, in case anyone cares, that is MY Alpine White car in the YouTube video linked above.
__________________
Rudy

2018 Alpine White M550i

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 Alpine White 550i SAT
2011 Alpine White 550i SAT
2008 Alpine White 550i SAT
2004 Alpine White 545i SMG
2001 Alpine White 540i 6-speed
1998 Alpine White 540i 6-speed
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
ksoze ksoze is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,117
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaz View Post
Just had my 2018 M550 Dinan S1 package installed at Encinitas BMW fro $2276. What a bargain. Dinan claims it's now 590 HP and 650 TQ, and I believe them. The absolute cheapest way to turn an M550 into an M5.
Agree. Had stage 1 installed late last week. A super smooth increase in power and much of it early on making it more useful to non-drag strip drivers.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Aristotle Aristotle is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2007 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaz View Post
Just had my 2018 M550 Dinan S1 package installed at Encinitas BMW fro $2276. What a bargain. Dinan claims it's now 590 HP and 650 TQ, and I believe them. The absolute cheapest way to turn an M550 into an M5. Also, my expensive silver is a great color.


Why do you believe them?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 PM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 545iSMG View Post
Congratulations on the order! Trust me, you will grin from ear to ear each and every day you drive that car!! As I'm sure you know, and with apologies to Tom Petty (God rest his soul), the waiting is the hardest part. Also, getting the individual paint may cause you to wait a little longer but choosing the PCD option delays it even more I think...

It'll all be worth it...and, in case anyone cares, that is MY Alpine White car in the YouTube video linked above. <img src="http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/icon12.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" class="inlineimg" />
Thanks! And nice to virtually meet you. I've watched your car drive around in that video too many times to count!

For everyone else: I've decided to stick with the 20" wheels but switch to the non run flats. Seeing both designs in person, the 668Ms really are a step above, and they only take away 1/2" of rubber between rim and road. I know the roads I drive on and am not too worried about banging them up, at least no more so on a 20" vs 19". And if I'm wrong, well, then I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 AM
ksoze ksoze is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,117
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Why do you believe them?
Believe what? Their base dyno results? The 50HP increase? They list the charts on their website. Others have shown time slips with 11 second 1/4's.

Dinan list the charts on their website and discussed using the same Dynapak Dyno on base and tuned cars and also confirmed on APR's Mustang Dyno in Alabama.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
wtmeyer wtmeyer is offline
Registered User
Location: Elkridge, MD
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 550i GT
I have not had any issues with the 19" wheels and tires. I believe this is more of a run-flat tire susceptibility. The concept of run-flats is great, but there are still drawbacks. If you get the 20" wheels I suggest you also spring for the wheel/tire insurance policy, but there is a reason that insurance is $1000+.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Rockland Rockland is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Live in Atlanta but Heart is in Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Thanks! Yes, the M5 for whatever reason they had tucked away under fluorescent lights in the back of the showroom - not even near any windows. I was gorgeous even back there so I can't wait to see it out in the sun.



Not to take anything away from Carbon Black which was sparkling on a 7-series out front - the Azurite was just another level.


I live in Atlanta too, and I have an Azurite Black M760i on order. You have good taste.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-29-2018, 07:11 PM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockland View Post

I live in Atlanta too, and I have an Azurite Black M760i on order. You have good taste.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Nice! You as well! ***x1f642;
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-31-2018, 05:47 PM
X3_M40i X3_M40i is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 39
Mein Auto:
I went with the 21" rims on my X3 M40i and haven't had any issues. Prior to that, my '18 ZL1 Camaro and '15 Corvette had 20" rims with low profile tires and also didn't really have problem in Atlanta and the northern burbs. Lots of construction but pot holes are not that common like up north or going west towards Texas (Mississippi and Louisiana are horrible).
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 PM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
Update and a question.

Update - about a week ago I received confirmation/approval of my indiv paint as well as a PW45 confirmation. Assuming no hiccups, CA is saying I'll be on schedule for a late November/early December PCD pickup!

Question - My CA just sent me a final VIR to sign off on before my "Indiv Blk Date" when everything has to be confirmed.

The VIR has all the added packages/options/selections we discussed. It also lists a number of Standard options, but not all of them. Is this normal? I would have expected either all or none of them to be listed. Seems odd that they'd go to the trouble of listing out TPMS and Add'l 12V Sockets but then not show M Sport Brakes, Moonroof, ICON headlights, etc. Roughly half the standard features are missing from the VIR with not particular rhyme or reason that I can tell.

I will of course ask my CA in the morning but want to get a sense from here on how much I should be worried (or not). Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 PM
rtlee rtlee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 406
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Update and a question.

Update - about a week ago I received confirmation/approval of my indiv paint as well as a PW45 confirmation. Assuming no hiccups, CA is saying I'll be on schedule for a late November/early December PCD pickup!

Question - My CA just sent me a final VIR to sign off on before my "Indiv Blk Date" when everything has to be confirmed.

The VIR has all the added packages/options/selections we discussed. It also lists a number of Standard options, but not all of them. Is this normal? I would have expected either all or none of them to be listed. Seems odd that they'd go to the trouble of listing out TPMS and Add'l 12V Sockets but then not show M Sport Brakes, Moonroof, ICON headlights, etc. Roughly half the standard features are missing from the VIR with not particular rhyme or reason that I can tell.

I will of course ask my CA in the morning but want to get a sense from here on how much I should be worried (or not). Any thoughts?
I'm curious to see what others say. When I ordered my 2019 540ix I think every standard option was listed. Things like M Sport brakes was also listed, but in my case those were an added option as that is not standard on the 540.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 AM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
Yeah, that's what concerns me - that things like M Sport brakes are standard for the M550 but not other 5ers, yet they aren't listed. However, other standard-for-M550 features are indeed listed.

ETA: Attached is a pic of the ordering guide. I ticked off the items that also appear on my VIR, and crossed off items that were replaced by an upgraded/alternate option. Why would only certain ones show up on a VIR? At first I thought perhaps it just leaves off items that are standard across all trims of the 5-series, but it was immediately apparent that's not the case.

(I realized after snapping the photo that 4AW, 4K7, and 5AS should also be crossed off - replaced by 4M5, 4LH, and 5AT in the VIR).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0917180819_1537186839805.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	818787  

Last edited by gooselee; 09-17-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 AM
rtlee rtlee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 406
Mein Auto:
I think you are doing the right thing by questioning everything, not making any assumptions and getting answers on everything with your sales person. Let us know what you find out.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 AM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
Here's what my CA said. I trust him, so I'll go with it. But still seems odd and slightly confusing.

Quote:
That is pretty normal that all the standard features don't print out I guess it would just make the list to long. Also, the ones that are listed they may feel is options on a possible competitors comparable model........Just an experienced guess.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 AM
gooselee gooselee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
For anyone following along, I checked the website this morning and after weeks of "Order Received" I have progressed to "Production Begins"!

I think this is where I'm supposed to start refreshing the website every hour and calling BMW Genius every other day, right?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM
dce's Avatar
dce dce is offline
dce
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 597
Mein Auto: 540 dX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
For anyone following along, I checked the website this morning and after weeks of "Order Received" I have progressed to "Production Begins"!

I think this is where I'm supposed to start refreshing the website every hour and calling BMW Genius every other day, right?


Right, that definitely makes it move along faster!


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM
gradz gradz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Mein Auto:
My M550 order moved to "SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION" a couple of weeks ago and then moved back to "Order received". Today is is back to "SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION". Hopefully that means progress.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.