Looking to sell my E39 M5 with 76,600 miles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto:
Looking to sell my E39 M5 with 76,600 miles

I'm in the Seattle area and am the 2nd owner of this car. I have it maintained by Broadstroke in Clearview. Parker and his team are great there. I have to get new rear tires and a few other items fixed. Replace valve cover gasket (leaking), replace front thrust rod bushings (cracked), replace rear ball joints/bushings (excessive play), replace Guibo (aged, cracking), and replace power steering supply hose with new reservoir (hose is leaking). The quote is $6k for all of this. The car engine and body are in good shape with minor door dings. It's only been on the track once for the High Performance Driving School at Pacific Raceway. What do you think the value is for this car and will I get my investment back if I do all of the repairs?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Stewart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
I'm a fan of these cars and a fan of BringATrailer. The cars on that auction site bring the highest bids when a) there is an excellent maintenance history, and b) the seller participates in the auction promptly answering the questions that come up. My recommendation is that you go to that site and research the money that other M5's have brought when they compare well to yours. By that, I mean condition, maintenance history, mileage and color. Then you can decide if the outstanding repairs should be done or not.

In a few months I'll be listing a Ducati out there. Before the auction I will get the belt service done ($1.2k), as I will probably get 100% of that back and it will make the auction go well. I'll be going with a no reserve auction because the bike needs to go -- if it brings a thousand or two less than expected, that is just the way it will be. So, for my own vehicles, I plan to have all maintenance up to date and do no reserve auctions. Hope that helps.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you very much ppointer. Very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto:
That is an interesting site. I think I will get the repairs done and list it for sale on that site. It looks like I should be able to recover my repair cost and get a fair value. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335i, '00 323it
You're welcome. Buyers and sellers don't always agree, but the market definitely speaks during those auctions. If you are open about the car and keep your cool if the haters criticize, then you'll get a fair price for your M5.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Ive owned an E39 M5 for 17 years, and quite active in the community.

I dont think you will get your $6k back. 'Value+ $6k' versus "Value as is"...nope

JMHO

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: E70 XS SAV
You may not get the 6k back, I totally agree, but a car that has a history of proper maintenance vs one that has a list of needed repairs is a lot more likely to sell. Repairs needed on a vehicle for sale always make me ask "what else is going on that the owner did not have the money or care to address". That's just me though.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2016 X5, 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Update?

Other factors matter too, such as color, interior etc. Did you end up listing the car? Here's a graph of E39 M5 pricing:

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e39-m5/

Wife's chariot - 2016 xDrive 3.5i, Sapphire over Black. M Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Driver Assist and Plus, Luxury and MultiContour Seats, Roof Rails, Harman Kardon

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > E39 M5 (1998-2003)
Today's Posts Search