Staggered wheels on X2 M35i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X2 F39 (2017 - current)

X2 F39 (2017 - current)
Discuss the X2 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Panamera
Staggered wheels on X2 M35i

I just took delivery of a new X2 M35i. Love it. Even though I like the look of the 20" wheel that came on the vehicle I am looking to go with something a little more aggressive. I would like to go with a staggered fitment 20x9 Front and 20x10 Rear. Because this is an all wheel drive vehicle can anyone validate for me that this is ok? I know other cars that are all wheel drive with staggered wheels but thought I better check first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I'm not sure if the M35i is full-time AWD. With the other X1/2's, xDrive sends all the power to the front wheels unless there is slippage. So, you're not going to gain any performance with a staggered set-up. You might not find 20 x 10 wheels to match your 20 x 9 ones. You also have to worry about clearance issues.

A staggered set-up will prevent a four-tire rotation pattern. Your nose-heavy X2 will put a beating on the front tires. So, rotating the tires front to back is more important than on larger BMW's based on RWD platforms. If you're leasing, tire rotation will give you a chance to get to the end of the lease with still having 4/32" of tread and avoid having to pay $1600 in "excess tire wear" fees.

The X2 M35i is probably already biased toward understeer. Wider back tires will make it more so.

Two new tires and wheels will also set you back at least $2k.

You live in California. Save your $2k and spend it go to M School in Thermal when it opens back up. Join BMWCCA and get a 15% discount on BMW driving schools. M School is much more fun that having rear tires that are 30mm wider.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:19 PM

Appreciate your response. I should have noted that I am looking at staggered for esthetic reasons not performance reasons. I don't imagine a staggered fitment helping me or hurting me much on the performance side because I'm not using this as a performance vehicle. Even though the 302 HP is nice. I'm more concerned about will a staggered fitment work without setting off any error codes or anything? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 03:49 PM

Your OE 225/40-20's have a theoretical rolling diameter of 27.1".

255/30-20's would have a theoretical rolling diameter of 26.02". That's way too much difference.

So, you have to go to 245/30-20's with a theoretical rolling diameter of 26.75". That's 8/32" difference in diameter, which would equate to 4/32" difference of thread depth. There's a BMW spec somewhere (on NEWTIS.INFO on maximum tread depth differences with xDrive). I recall that it's 2/32" difference. So, you're asking for trouble, and you'd only be getting 20mm (0.8" difference in width) that neither you or anybody else will notice.

The reason BMW limits tread depth differences on xDrives is that too much difference puts a steady grind on the clutches in the xDrive transfer case. You're leasing. But, you'd be setting up trouble for the schmuck who buys your off-lease X3 M35i of some BMW dealer's used car lot. At lease turn-in, they'd gig you for having non-OE size tires on it, too.

The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix (break) it" applies here.

I have trick tires on my FWD Chevy Cobalt SS, and I flog the car. During the last 6k mile rotation stint, the front tires wore down four times as much (~1.1/32") as the rear tires (~0.3/32"). That's why front-to-back tire rotation is essential on a FWD or FWD-based AWD vehicle.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-13-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
The car is a little FWD biased and I certainly get the front tires slipping at certain spots. That part doesn't really matter a whole ton though, the key as Autoputzer has measured out.. you need identical rolling diameter in order to not hurt your AWD. On many AWD cars expecially BMW's though.. they actually said not to rotate the tires. I have no idea why.. but when my e60 was getting lower on tread there could be almost 3 or 4 /32" difference! I do like aggressive looks myself, and I opted to put some spacers on the car. I have not had the chance to really push it to see if it makes the car feel more or less stable. I went 10mm in front and 15mm in rear. Overall it should track better anyways because of a wider stance anyways. I'm sure I won't notice much of a difference, but aesthetically I can.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
check here for a calculator that will help you figure out a good size:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Looks like a 255/35/20 on 9Jx20 wheel might work.

Last edited by wtmeyer; 05-15-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmeyer View Post
check here for a calculator that will help you figure out a good size:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Looks like a 255/35/20 on 9Jx20 wheel might work.
Thanks for giving me this. Iím trying to see where you see 255/35/20 on 9x20 will work on my X2 M35? Is there something in this calculator that shows this? I would love to validate this. Iíve spoken to three wheel manufacturers and received three different answers.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzundel View Post
Thanks for giving me this. Iím trying to see where you see 255/35/20 on 9x20 will work on my X2 M35? Is there something in this calculator that shows this? I would love to validate this. Iíve spoken to three wheel manufacturers and received three different answers.
Here's a diagram of what the size markings on tires mean, and a screen shot of an Excel spreadsheet that calculated rolling diameter. If you're Excel competent, the code in cell D2 is:

=(A2*2/25.4)*(B2/100)+C2

255/35-20 is a better fit, having closer to the same rolling diameter as your OE tires. But, Tire Rack lists the OE tires on your car as Pirelli P Zero Run Flat (PC4)'s, being a special BMW spec' tire. They don't make that tire in 255/35-20. Michelin makes the industry benchmark PS 4S in that, but not in your OE size.

Tire Rack's website says there are no tires made in both of those sizes:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=20

If you are obsessed in having your rear tires 30mm wider, why did you buy a FWD-architecture BMW in the first place?

You'll REALLY need to rotate those tires on your X2. Otherwise, the fronts will be bald in less than 20k miles.

Buying a spare tire and jack kit would make your $60k BMW suitable for road trips on the weekend. A spare, a floor jack, and some hand tools would allow you to do DIY tire rotations. That and keeping plenty of pressure in the tires, you might get 35k out of the OE tires.

Wider tires in the back of your nose-heavy X2 will actually make the handling worse... more understeer.

Spend that money you were going to waste on tires and rims on wine, women, and song... or driving schools... or put it in your 401(k). If your life isn't currently what you'd hoped it'd be, 30mm wider and mismatched tires in the back aren't gong to change that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire-size-and-aspect-ratio.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	892705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516 tire rolling diameter calculatior spreadsheet.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	892707  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:46 PM

I appreciate you willingness to help and provide education. I actually do fully understand all the tire specs and need to have similar size rolling diameters on front and rear. All I'm trying to figure out is what is the widest wheel/tire combo that will fit with my vehicle. I've come to realize that I'm safe going with a 20x9" wheel F&R. What no one has been able to tell me is what is the widest tire tread I can buy without rubbing. I know I am safe with 245/35/20. I am putting on HRE wheels and they have confirmed this. What they can't confirm nor can anyone else I've spoken to is whether I can run 255/35/20 or 255/30/20 on all for corners? I have given up on the staggered fitment. I will buy all for corners the same so I can rotate. I'm just trying to confirm if the 255 tire will fit without rubbing anywhere. If not I will go with the 245.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:33 PM

TireRack.com lists the acceptable wheel widths for specific make, model, and sizes of tires. It looks like 255's are good for a 9" rim.

You could turn the front wheels all the way in each direction and reach under and see home much clearance you have inside the wheels. Putting 255's on would move the tire 15mm horizontally closer to whatever's near it.

My next new German car is three years out, and I'd really like it to be a 911. But, the new 911 (the 992) had 21" wheels in the back and 20" in the front, with 1" different rolling diameters. Having a spare tire is a hard requirement for me. Porsche sells a spare for the old 991 (which has the same rolling diameters front and back). But, it only goes on the front. A flat tire on the back requires putting a good front tire on the back and the spare on the front. This fine when the front and back have the same rolling diameters.

But, I haven't seen a spare for the 992. For it to work, there'd need to be enough clearance in the front of a rear-rolling diameter spare to fit. A smaller front rolling diameter spare on the back could chew up the limited slip diff' clutches. If there isn't a 992 spare by 2023 or so, I guess I'll get another BMW.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-16-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Looking at the website for a 2020 X2 M35I, it looks like the standard Tire/wheel size is 225/40ZR20 94Y 8Jx20 ET50

Plug these numbers into left hand column of the tire calculator.

Scroll down to the Plus Sizing chart and look at the column for 255 size. You see only a -0.2% change in rolling diameter, which means it is a good fit for your vehicles speedometer calibration.

Scrool down farther and you will see that the 255 width tire will stick about 15mm further than the 225 tire. This should still clear the fender and suspension without any issues according to the calculator.

Make sure the new wheels clear the brake calipers, otherwise you will need spacers which will limit the tire width even further.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X2 F39 (2017 - current)
Today's Posts Search