540i Buying Strategy? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
540i Buying Strategy?

I'm ordering a very specific 540i configuration (pdf attached) and paying cash. I've given the dealership where I service my 328i an opportunity to make me an offer. I've also given Greg Poland, a dealer who is a BF sponsor, a shot. Have also blasted it to four more local dealers via BMW's online configurator. Are there any other avenues worth pursuing?

I have a ballpark expectation of what I want to pay. Simply put, it's 10% off MSRP, give or take. On a $77K vehicle I expect to pay around $69,300 + T&L factoring in dealer/loyalty/BMWCCA incentives and discounts. I'm not shy. I bought my last car dictating what I was willing to spend and got it well under sticker. Since this is my first "order", I can use good advice. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019 Moonstone Blue 540i Build with ACC - DPDOA9I1.pdf (1.47 MB, 409 views)

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto:
I like your approach. I wonder though if it will make it more challenging because you are paying cash. As I understand it, dealers make money not just when they sell the car, but also on the financing, whether a lease or purchase. And I think in some cases they make more money on the financing than on the car. I'm not sure a dealer will be willing to sell you a car below invoice (10% is way under invoice) without being able to make money through the financing part of the deal. Keep us posted on what you hear back.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2002
What he said ^. One of the dealers you contacted may have -- i.e., be stuck with -- a 540i with some unusual configuration (color/options) they will eagerly sell for a 10% discount from the MSRP, but you, in turn, will take it to the grave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Another way to make a dent in the cost of new BMW is the BMW FS credit card.

The old BMW credit cards were garbage. But, the new ones are pretty good, with 3% to 4% rebates on purchases made at (all) car dealers and auto parts stores. You have to pay $75/year to get the 4%. But, with the annual fee card, you also get a $500 credit for financing a BMW through BMW FS. You file for the rebates after buying the car. So, you can put a down payment for the car on the credit card, and then get a 4% rebate on the down payment. BMW FS also runs special rebate promotions. I got a notice once that I'd get and extra 10% on purchases for a six-day period. I manage to bang the card for $5300 in those six days. There was a promotion last December for something like an extra $100 in points if you spent $2k on the card (5% extra rebates).

I had my BMW FS card about 18 months and managed to rack up $1200 in rebates and another $500 for financing a car. I was nursing two 100k+ mile hoopties before buying our last BMW. So, those dealer and auto parts purchases added up. We only started using the BMW card for general purchase (1%) after we ordered the car, to bump our rebates up to the next $100 increment (in which rebates are awarded). I normally don't finance cars, but they were offering 1.9% APR for up to 60 months. With that low rate and the $500 credit, financing was a no-brainer.

Making that monthly car payment is sort of a novelty, where I can pretend that I'm one of the little people.

Where I live, BMW dealerships are 50+ miles apart. So, the competition on price is not as intense. It's not worth the trip to get a few dollars more off the price. My dealership has an exceptionally honest and competent service department. So, I don't worry about scrapping for that last few hundred dollars off the purchase price. But, I've found that factory ordering a car can motivate them to get closer to what the low-ball/lousy-service-department dealership will offer.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-23-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
I'm ordering a very specific 540i configuration (pdf attached) and paying cash. I've given the dealership where I service my 328i an opportunity to make me an offer. I've also given Greg Poland, a dealer who is a BF sponsor, a shot. Have also blasted it to four more local dealers via BMW's online configurator. Are there any other avenues worth pursuing?

I have a ballpark expectation of what I want to pay. Simply put, it's 10% off MSRP, give or take. On a $77K vehicle I expect to pay around $69,300 + T&L factoring in dealer/loyalty/BMWCCA incentives and discounts. I'm not shy. I bought my last car dictating what I was willing to spend and got it well under sticker. Since this is my first "order", I can use good advice. Thanks!
Your build doesnt look too out of the ordinary, with the exception of the integral active steering and dynamic dampeners.

One thing is, "Cash is (not) King" in a transaction like this, most times. Negotiate on the price of the vehicle, and be willing to finance a small amount if that enables you to get some finance incentives you might not otherwise get. Not sure if that is the case right now, but many times there are incentives that you can only get if you finance a certain amount (it used to be a minimum of around 7,500). If you finance an amount like 7500, you can carry that for 3-4 months so the dealership doesnt get charged back, then pay it off (if you finance a small amount to enable getting an incentive).

I would not recommend starting by telling all those dealers "Im going to pay cash". I would recommend a statement like "I am considering paying cash, but would be open to financing a small amount if it enables access to further incentives".

Other than that, and checking bmwusa.com for incentives, make sure to ask a dealer "when will you be able to give me a production number for this vehicle if I place an order with you" if you get close to purchasing from one of the dealers.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 08-23-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I agree they make more money when you finance, but most dealers just want to move cars. They realize that some deals are bare bones deals and they make it up on other buyers who are not as knowledgeable.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
There was a $4K financing bonus from BMWFS when I purchased my car. I was going to pay cash but I financed it instead to get the $4K bonus. It is my understanding that if one pays it off immediately, BMWFS goes back against the dealer. So I made four payments and then paid it off.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: MB E350
Good advice above, and it sounds like you know what you're doing.

When I ordered my 540 late last year one incentive required financing, even though I was prepared to pay cash. They assured me I could pay off the (minimal) financing in 4 months.

But when I picked the car and reminded them I would write a check for the whole nut, they somehow massaged the numbers to give me the same deal without the financing. Everybody was happy!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:01 AM

@jjrandorin, et al. Thanks for all the great pointers and food for thought! Hadn't considered short term financing. Luckily, there's a preponderance of BMW dealers in my vicinity and I'm only too happy to drive my trusty F30 M Sport until I find a great deal. In my case the clock isn't ticking. Will keep you posted.

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
Old 08-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
There was a $4K financing bonus from BMWFS when I purchased my car. I was going to pay cash but I financed it instead to get the $4K bonus. It is my understanding that if one pays it off immediately, BMWFS goes back against the dealer. So I made four payments and then paid it off.
And how much was your total net gain compared to a cash purchase?
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 08-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
And how much was your total net gain compared to a cash purchase?
Interest on 4 payments, whatever that is, weighed against the 4k incentive. The payments themselves would not be in play only interest on them... since the money represented by the 4 payments would have been paid in that 1 cash payment lump sum.

So its just the interest on those payments which I am 1000 percent sure does not = anywhere near 4k.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 08-23-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Interest on 4 payments, whatever that is, weighed against the 4k incentive. The payments themselves would not be in play only interest on them... since the money represented by the 4 payments would have been paid in that 1 cash payment lump sum.

So its just the interest on those payments which I am 1000 percent sure does not = anywhere near 4k.
I get the interest part. But no penalty fees?
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
There should be no pre-payment penalties on any standard commercial auto loan.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather
Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
No pre payment penalty.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
There should be no pre-payment penalties on any standard commercial auto loan.
I don't think BMWFS is that stupid. Usually if a service provider is pushing a customer to a certain direction that means it's better for them (provider). So why would they leave this door open?

Just to put this in perspective: Average net gain for dealerships on new cars sold is ~5% (this number comes from Autonation's BMW sales). Based on the $4k incentive offered I estimate that the interest part of the 4 months payment is ~$600. 4k-0.6k = 3.2k that is 4.5% of $70k. They would basically lose their profit.

read this article here: https://www.dmv.org/*****sell/auto-l...oan-payoff.php (the ***** is "*****" not sure why this website blanks it) EDIT again it's "b u y -" without spaces

"Cons
Pre-Payment Penalty

All lenders-including banks, credit unions, and dealerships-have their own policies when it comes to paying off car loans early; however, some lenders impose a penalty for early auto loan payoff, which perhaps is the most prevalent disadvantage to paying off your auto loan early.

Ideally, you should ask about this pre-payment penalty up front, before signing any contracts; yet, because many people don't know about pre-payment penalties-or haven't yet planned an early loan payoff-they don't know to ask."
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; 08-23-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:28 AM

Based on my location, awareness of incentives and discounts, and ability to say "no" and walk away, I don't expect I'll have to jump through any extraordinary hoops in order to purchase the car I want at a reasonable price.

My service dealership is currently advertising $4000 off so we're on the right track.
https://www.bmwofbeverlyhills.com/gl...d3c5b6c6d3.htm

Last edited by Pappy Pipes; 08-23-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spied4US View Post
What he said ^. One of the dealers you contacted may have -- i.e., be stuck with -- a 540i with some unusual configuration (color/options) they will eagerly sell for a 10% discount from the MSRP, but you, in turn, will take it to the grave.
I would think that IAS would not affect resale value, other than perhaps not getting the money back that you paid for that option. IOW, it's not like the car would be hard to sell because the buyer would not want a care with that option. Deleting 704 by adding Dynamic Dampers however I could see people wanting the M Sport package car to have a M suspension.

In my case I am ordering IAS and Night Vision. That's money I won't get back when reselling it most likely, but the car should still be desirable. Now an unpopular color combinations on the other hand - clearly that's something that can affect whether someone can sell a car easily or not.

At any rate, this is one of the nice things about doing a lease. I don't have to worry about resale value or how easy it will be to sell later. In fact in the case of BMW they are helping to subsidize the purpose of the lease by offering a 61% residual. So effectively I am only paying for 39% of the car over 3 years, plus interest.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlee View Post
I would think that IAS would not affect resale value, other than perhaps not getting the money back that you paid for that option. IOW, it's not like the car would be hard to sell because the buyer would not want a care with that option. Deleting 704 by adding Dynamic Dampers however I could see people wanting the M Sport package car to have a M suspension.

In my case I am ordering IAS and Night Vision. That's money I won't get back when reselling it most likely, but the car should still be desirable. Now an unpopular color combinations on the other hand - clearly that's something that can affect whether someone can sell a car easily or not.

At any rate, this is one of the nice things about doing a lease. I don't have to worry about resale value or how easy it will be to sell later. In fact in the case of BMW they are helping to subsidize the purpose of the lease by offering a 61% residual. So effectively I am only paying for 39% of the car over 3 years, plus interest.
My understanding is dynamic dampers a can be ordered with a 704 suspension. If not, i'll delete it and go with a 704 M Sport Suspension and IAS. Don't drive that much at night, or rural, so I passed on Night Vision.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think BMWFS is that stupid. Usually if a service provider is pushing a customer to a certain direction that means it's better for them (provider). So why would they leave this door open?
Probably because of legal issues with uniform loan code? I've held several mortgage loans, and probably more than a dozen auto loans in my life. None of them provided for a pre-payment penalty. These are not loan sharks, they are reputable banks. If you pre-pay a loan, you have already paid the interest due for the use of the principal borrowed, for whatever length of time the principal was held. As for any penalty to the dealer for early payoff, that is between the manufacturer and the dealer. I went with BMWFS this time for my 540i, to gain the $2000 incentive. My dealer told me I could payoff the whole loan after 4 months if I wanted to, to avoid a penalty to them. The loan rate is good, I am not planning to pre-pay early (until such time I sell the car, which is always before the 4-year loan period).

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim

Last edited by markl53; 08-23-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
My understanding is dynamic dampers a can be ordered with a 704 suspension. If not, i'll delete it and go with a 704 M Sport Suspension and IAS. Don't drive that much at night, or rural, so I passed on Night Vision.
No, it's one or the other. See the pricing guide, or check the ordering guide for 2018 (2019 is not posted yet to the sticky thread).

Old 08-23-2018, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The pricing guide that Mark refers to is linked somewhere in the forums, a sticky thread I think. Within the M Sport Package it specifically had a sub item that says:
"704 M Sport Suspension
or 223 Dynamic Damper
or ZDH Dynamic Handling Package"

I would still double check with your dealer to make sure that is accurate.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlee View Post
The pricing guide that Mark refers to is linked somewhere in the forums, a sticky thread I think. Within the M Sport Package it specifically had a sub item that says:
"704 M Sport Suspension
or 223 Dynamic Damper
or ZDH Dynamic Handling Package"

I would still double check with your dealer to make sure that is accurate.
It is accurate. Also, here is the snip from 2019 pricing guide...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW ZMP.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	814707  

Old 08-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanks, I'll go with 704. Can live without DDC. Already have offer in my ballpark.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto:
I got 14%.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcbr View Post
I got 14%.
You have a dealer offering you 14% off MSRP on a *2019* custom order? What if any incentives are they giving you which are included in that 14%?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search