Buying my leased car with 13k miles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Buying my leased car with 13k miles

I have a 2016 340 I've been leasing and I only have 13k miles on it. My lease is up in July this year.

Can someone please give me advice on my options and what makes the most financial sense? I have considered buying the car because of the low mileage and the fact that I'll need a car. But, I can take or leave it.

I will find out the residual tomorrow but maybe someone here has a general idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
The discount you get back on a lease for under-mileage is very minimal (something like $300 if you're used 0-75% of miles), so your car car might easily be worth more than the residual and buying it is a "good deal" relative to another, random used 340i at that age. Anyway, you need to know your residual to see how good of a deal you have. I assume with this low mileage your car might be worth an extra ~$2.5K over a 340i with 36K miles - do research on what the market thinks. Buying out e.g. driving a 3 year old car, will almost always be lower cost than leasing another new car, since you are using a less-depreciating item. You might also get dinged on various things at the lease return inspection (you can pre-emptively get a check-up too) should you decide to return. You also avoid the $350 disposition fee by buying out.

You can get an appraisal or two at a place like CarMax to see what a "market value" is for your car (adding a few thousand for private party sales). Note that in CA you can avoid paying sales tax on your lease buyout if you sell it again with a certain number of days, and occasionally other places will offer more than BMW, although doing this with a private party is a massive pain.

Last edited by angelzero; 04-02-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Check your lease contract for the residual value. then go to Carmax and get an appraisal. If the appraisal plus sales tax is close to the residual value it might be worth buying. I assume you do not have to pay sales tax again in CA if it was already paid upfront as part of lease. once you know the value of the car, contact your dealer to see if you can negotiate a new price. BMW Finance will sell the car to the dealer for less than the residual value if you choose to walk away. You may be able to work a deal this way also, but you might have to pay sales tax again with this approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Financially, buying it is a no-brainer compared to leasing another one. The low mileage makes it even more so. BMW's plugged the loophole where you can shop BMW dealerships to see who will give you a better deal on a buy back. There's a thread around somewhere on BF about the new buy-back restrictions BMW has put on dealers.

The average car is driven about 12k miles/year. You're at less than half that. That reduces the deprecation your car has incurred, but it doesn't cut it in half. Typical deprecation of a car driven about 12k miles/year is: 25% the first year; 20% the years the car goes out of warranty, becomes seven model years old, and goes over 100k miles; and 15% the remaining years. BMW's tend to depreciate faster than "appliance" cars. Here's a chart of typical depreciation of a $50k MSRP car. The last column is sort of how much you could spend on maintenance and repairs for the year and still be ahead over buying a new car.

Back tires on RWD BMW's wear faster. On my 535i, the back tires wear twice as fast as the front ones. If you have a staggered set-up (back tires wider than the front tires), you can't rotate tires front to back, and you might be close to needing rear tires within the next three years. If you have a square set-up, rotate the tires ASAP. All tires need to be replaced after six years.

You'll be due for an oil change and brake fluid change before lease-turn in, and they're free under "free maintenance." Even with low annual mileage, you need an oil change every year.

Owning instead of leasing, you'd have to worry about the gradual sunlight damage to YOUR car. Keep a good coat of wax on the car, and wax the horizontal surfaces, mirrors, and front bumper two or three times as often as the rest of the car. Sunlight pounds the horizontal surfaces. Bugs pound the mirrors and front bumper (and can damage the paint). The black plastic under the windshield needs attention (Armor-All), as do the sidewalls of the tires (Meguiar's Endurance). Inside, the leather steering wheel is most at risk of sunlight damage. When parking the car for a long period in sunlight, put a large towel over it. Cover the sides of the steering wheel. Sunlight coming through the door windows can be more intense that that coming through the windshield. (The plastic layer in the windshield is a UV filter.)

If you really want to get AR, cover the area under the back window, behind the rear seat. I use three large pieces of overlapping poster board with the corners rounded. The rear headrests are also vulnerable to sunlight damage. Here's a picture of my Chevy Cobalt protected for the day.

Rotating the direction you park the car outside every day will spread the sunlight damage around and make it less intense in any one position. When I was working, the parking lots were either east/west or north/south, depending on where I worked. I'd alternate the direction I parked each week.

With care, you car will still look, feel, and drive like a new car after six years, or even longer. With your low annual mileage, you could go nine years without spending any significant money for maintenance, other than tires and a nav' update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126 deprecation estimate on a $50k car.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	846335   Click image for larger version

Name:	protecting back window upholstry & back seat.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	846337  
Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i Gran Turismo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
The black plastic under the windshield needs attention (Armor-All), as do the sidewalls of the tires (Meguiar's Endurance).
Armor All on my beautiful, soft-touch matte dash? Please no!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
To OP, BMWFS right now should still offer $4k off RV on lease buyout of F30, so with your low mileage it should be a good deal. Do compare with Nada estimate, and/or Carmax offer to decide.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDM/S View Post
My plastic panel is usually cleaned with Vinylex, which probably should work on leather dash too.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDM/S View Post
Noooooooo, on the back plastic trim under the windshield on the outside, where the windshield wipers are. When I parked outside all day, I'd get a really big white towel (called a "bath sheet") and cover the whole dash, tucking it in between the dash and windshield.

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt's interior, including the top of the dash and top of the door cards, was getting grungy. I cleaned it with Mother's Leather Cleaner and it looks better, but not shiny.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
To OP, BMWFS right now should still offer $4k off RV on lease buyout of F30, so with your low mileage it should be a good deal. Do compare with Nada estimate, and/or Carmax offer to decide.
Wow, what program is this? Do they exist for other models as well?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzero View Post
Wow, what program is this? Do they exist for other models as well?
Check out post#109 of following thread for per model discounts at that time. BMWFS should be able to provide latest info.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1281042&page=5
Old 04-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
When I parked outside all day, I'd get a really big white towel (called a "bath sheet") and cover the whole dash, tucking it in between the dash and windshield.
Should a windshield sunshade work better than a towel to cover the inner dash?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Should a windshield sunshade work better than a towel to cover the inner dash?
Yeah, the ones that are made specifically for a particular model of car. The one size fits all shades leave unprotected spots. Frau Putzer had one of those that was spring-loaded and folded up. It also outgassed and fogged up the windows.

WeattherTech makes some that are make-model specific. For the F10 5 Series, they only make one for the windshield. For the G01 X3 and the G30 5 Series, they make a "full vehicle kit" that has a shade for each window.

It looks like the WeatherTech shades also protect the roof pillar upholstery. I had those fry on my E46.

WeatherTech makes cool stuff, and they make it here instead of in China.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weathertech full vehicle sunshade kit.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	846411  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the ones that are made specifically for a particular model of car. The one size fits all shades leave unprotected spots. Frau Putzer had one of those that was spring-loaded and folded up. It also outgassed and fogged up the windows.

WeattherTech makes some that are make-model specific. For the F10 5 Series, they only make one for the windshield. For the G01 X3 and the G30 5 Series, they make a "full vehicle kit" that has a shade for each window.

It looks like the WeatherTech shades also protect the roof pillar upholstery. I had those fry on my E46.

WeatherTech makes cool stuff, and they make it here instead of in China.
Mine was custom made from a local company that also makes aircraft windshield sunshades. Local dealers used to sell them at parts for $35-ish. It is a roll-up type that works great.

The first one was not perfect fit, so it was brought to warehouse, where the tech came out to laser measure and update their per model database, and re-cut and sew one for me on the spot! They can also custom make side windows and rear window too.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Mine was custom made from a local company that also makes aircraft windshield sunshades. Local dealers used to sell them at parts for $35-ish. It is a roll-up type that works great.

The first one was not perfect fit, so it was brought to warehouse, where the tech came out to laser measure and update their per model database, and re-cut and sew one for me on the spot! They can also custom make side windows and rear window too.
I've seen those on general aviation aircraft. That's slick that you can get them locally. Nobody in Bubbaville, Floriduh is smart enough to make those.

We're retired now. So, our cars spend a lot of the sunlight hours in the garage.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Thank you everyone. I forgot about the fact that i have an Owner's Choice Balloon Account so I am not clear on how or if this changes all the advice given. ***x1f615;.
I know my balloon balance but don't have the residual yet. Does everything still apply for the Owner's Choice?

Thank you.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMJT2013 View Post
Thank you everyone. I forgot about the fact that i have an Owner's Choice Balloon Account so I am not clear on how or if this changes all the advice given. ***x1f615;.
I know my balloon balance but don't have the residual yet. Does everything still apply for the Owner's Choice?

Thank you.
Owner's choice is basically a car loan with a balloon payment or a guaranteed trade-in value(that equals balloon).

Since it is a purchase, the usual lease pull-ahead, and $4k off RV, should not apply(resident CAs can chime in). There is no RV, although the balloon acts like a RV.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i
Quote:
Financially, buying it is a no-brainer compared to leasing another one. The low mileage makes it even more so. BMW's plugged the loophole where you can shop BMW dealerships to see who will give you a better deal on a buy back. There's a thread around somewhere on BF about the new buy-back restrictions BMW has put on dealers.

The average car is driven about 12k miles/year. You're at less than half that. That reduces the deprecation your car has incurred, but it doesn't cut it in half. Typical deprecation of a car driven about 12k miles/year is: 25% the first year; 20% the years the car goes out of warranty, becomes seven model years old, and goes over 100k miles; and 15% the remaining years. BMW's tend to depreciate faster than "appliance" cars. Here's a chart of typical depreciation of a $50k MSRP car. The last column is sort of how much you could spend on maintenance and repairs for the year and still be ahead over buying a new car.

Back tires on RWD BMW's wear faster. On my 535i, the back tires wear twice as fast as the front ones. If you have a staggered set-up (back tires wider than the front tires), you can't rotate tires front to back, and you might be close to needing rear tires within the next three years. If you have a square set-up, rotate the tires ASAP. All tires need to be replaced after six years.

You'll be due for an oil change and brake fluid change before lease-turn in, and they're free under "free maintenance." Even with low annual mileage, you need an oil change every year.

Owning instead of leasing, you'd have to worry about the gradual sunlight damage to YOUR car. Keep a good coat of wax on the car, and wax the horizontal surfaces, mirrors, and front bumper two or three times as often as the rest of the car. Sunlight pounds the horizontal surfaces. Bugs pound the mirrors and front bumper (and can damage the paint). The black plastic under the windshield needs attention (Armor-All), as do the sidewalls of the tires (Meguiar's Endurance). Inside, the leather steering wheel is most at risk of sunlight damage. When parking the car for a long period in sunlight, put a large towel over it. Cover the sides of the steering wheel. Sunlight coming through the door windows can be more intense that that coming through the windshield. (The plastic layer in the windshield is a UV filter.)

If you really want to get AR, cover the area under the back window, behind the rear seat. I use three large pieces of overlapping poster board with the corners rounded. The rear headrests are also vulnerable to sunlight damage. Here's a picture of my Chevy Cobalt protected for the day.

Rotating the direction you park the car outside every day will spread the sunlight damage around and make it less intense in any one position. When I was working, the parking lots were either east/west or north/south, depending on where I worked. I'd alternate the direction I parked each week.

With care, you car will still look, feel, and drive like a new car after six years, or even longer. With your low annual mileage, you could go nine years without spending any significant money for maintenance, other than tires and a nav' update.

And THIS is how you buy a car. Wait 2-3 years and go buy it at half off!!! I picked up my 2015 328i for $23,800 under warranty with only 16k miles on it last year. It stickered for over 50k new. Love this car and love that someone else took the hit for me!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdelux View Post
And THIS is how you buy a car. Wait 2-3 years and go buy it at half off!!! I picked up my 2015 328i for $23,800 under warranty with only 16k miles on it last year. It stickered for over 50k new. Love this car and love that someone else took the hit for me!!!
I usually have lunch with a couple of millionaires who only buy used cars. They've "done the math."

The catches are that there is some risk, it's harder for find a good used car than buying or ordering a new one.

I'm obsessive about maintaining the paint on my cars. I've had a six-year old beater mistaken for a new car.

Modern clear coats have UV blockers in them, and they migrate to the top of the clear coat as it dries. You can make a car look new by polishing, which takes away some of the clear coat, and a disproportionally larger part of the UV blockers. You should assume that any used car has bene polished and the UV blockers have been diminished.

I usually buy new. The only person I trust enough to buy a used BMW from is me. But, I've also done the math. That motivates me to keep my cars a long time. My average is over eight years and about 110k miles. I almost bought a 328i recently. It was six years old with only 9k miles. But, the owner wanted too much or it and it has the problematic early N26 engine. Getting that fixed would have cost a little over $3k.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-04-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I almost bought a 328i recently. It was six years old with only 9k miles. But, the owner wanted too much or it and it has the problematic early N26 engine. Getting that fixed would have cost a little over $3k.
How much was asked? What packages/options?

My take is still that N20/N36 TC won't fail without warnings, plus my gut feel says BMWNA will extend ELW to at least 12 years/100k miles, and probably even provide 15 years/150k miles for PZEV units.

Last edited by namelessman; 04-04-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
How much was asked? What packages/options?

My take is still that N20/N36 TC won't fail without warnings, plus my gut feel says BMWNA will extend ELW to at least 12 years/100k miles, and probably even provide 15 years/150k miles for PZEV units.
It was supposedly fully loaded with every option. The KBB private party range was $16.5k to $19k, but the seller was asking in the low $20k's. After dealing with all the Nigerian princes, he sold it to one of the nation-wide used car chains for around $15.5k. At $16.5k I would have been on a plane to go pick it up in California and then drove it back to Floriduh.

Between the travel costs, the timing chain thing, replacing the six year old tires, and buying a spare tire and jack kit, I had to be near the bottom of the KBB range.

I'm going to put about 50k to 70k miles on a car in twelve to 18 months, doing periodic inspections of the construction of our new house 500 miles away. I'd rather drive the miles than move up there for a year and rent. I don't want to wear out my 535i making all those trips in it. I'll do some, just to keep the 535i's mileage around 12k miles/year.

My Cobalt beater needs to be replaced. I get a special deal on GM stuff, so my next beater will be a new Chevy Sonic. But, a Sonic will not be as comfortable or as crashworthy as a 3 Series. So, that 3 Series would have fit the bill for operating costs (maintenance, depreciation, fuel).

Gut feels don't pay the bills. The current extended warranty is 7/70, and I would have still had the car when that expired. I priced getting the upgrade done. If it blows and it's not covered by the warranty, the car is effectively totaled.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Gut feels don't pay the bills. The current extended warranty is 7/70, and I would have still had the car when that expired. I priced getting the upgrade done. If it blows and it's not covered by the warranty, the car is effectively totaled.
My gut feel is supported by the fact that BMWNA's MY16 PZEV parts list of N26 does include timing chain, so TC is categorized as emission parts!

The MY12-MY15 parts list currently do not include TC, but a stretched TC will likely cause camshaft fault code and CEL, and that is emission related.

Also do note the TC class action lawsuit is well on its way.

Last edited by namelessman; 04-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMJT2013 View Post

Thank you.
Owner's choice is basically a car loan with a balloon payment or a guaranteed trade-in value(that equals balloon).

Since it is a purchase, the usual lease pull-ahead, and $4k off RV, should not apply(resident CAs can chime in). There is no RV, although the balloon acts like a RV.
I have an owners choice that's due in June. BMWFS confirmed that the $4k credit DOES apply to both OC and traditional lease buyouts!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay0u View Post
I have an owners choice that's due in June. BMWFS confirmed that the $4k credit DOES apply to both OC and traditional lease buyouts!
That is great news!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM

I just called bmwfs and was told they have nothing to do with the 4K credit and to call the dealership. She acted like I was a freak for asking.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search