new owner - help with x5 4x4 and brake light - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-26-2020, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto:
new owner - help with x5 4x4 and brake light

hi, new bmw owner here. picked up a used x5 with 180 km on it for a very good price (or so i thought).

driving around town it doesn't seem to have any issues but when i take it on the highway after about 3-5 minutes (sometimes sooner) i get the dsc 4x4 inactive light and the brake light (O). no abs light illuminates.

I have ordered a foxwell scanner from amazon but due to covid-19 its not slated to show up until mid may. I scanned the vehicle with my elm327 wifi unit and a compatible app. found a bunch of stored codes so i cleared them, drove around some more and re-scanned at home. found
4F7A
51AD
2E95
The cheapo scanner doesn't give me any code descriptions and looking is just confusing me more... so that's why i'm here.

Note: I replaced the alternator a couple days ago with a certified rebuild unit from Napa (live in smaller town canada). The bearing seemed to be squealing - once removed definitely felt something was wrong. still getting mild squeak but that's a whole other issue. going to find a mech stethoscope tomorrow.

also, i do not hear any clicking from the transfer case when the vehicle is shut off. i spent the $20 on amazon for a new gear in case that issue finds me but don't want to rip the thing apart if that's not the issue.

I live 2 hours away from a bmw dealership and reluctant to go there - (covid and $$$). not even sure if i should be driving the vehicle in it's current state.

any advice will be very appreciated!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 01:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 E53 X5 Black/Black
What color is the word “brake “ and do you smell any thing like burnt rubber?

The 4x4 light will kick on for lots of reasons like steering angle sensor or the yaw rate sensor.

I ordered a few things from amazon with “weeks” for the deliver timeline that showed up in 3-4 days so cross your fingers.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto:
doesn't have the word "brake" illuminated. this is a Canadian model - the brake light is yellow and literally looks like this (O)

some more troubleshooting I discovered my cruise control isn't working. leaning more and more toward a wheel speed sensor. will remove and test (never done this before) and try to clean them.

I'm also finding my "new" alternator is squealing at startup but then goes away.

the battery doesn't have a date stamp on the terminal which is strange (it is from bmw) but has a sticker that says 9/19 on the side. would this be the manufacture date? that would mean brand new. shouldn't have an issue there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbar View Post
doesn't have the word "brake" illuminated. this is a Canadian model - the brake light is yellow and literally looks like this (O)

some more troubleshooting I discovered my cruise control isn't working. leaning more and more toward a wheel speed sensor. will remove and test (never done this before) and try to clean them.

I'm also finding my "new" alternator is squealing at startup but then goes away.

the battery doesn't have a date stamp on the terminal which is strange (it is from bmw) but has a sticker that says 9/19 on the side. would this be the manufacture date? that would mean brand new. shouldn't have an issue there.
Shouldn't have an issue with the battery or alternator, but the best way to find out is to put a multi meter on it when running and off. You should be seeing at least 12.1 volts when off and between 13.7 to 14.1 when running at idle. Wouldn't be the first time a rebuilt alternator turned out to be "junk".

The Foxwell scanner will give you better direction. As was mentioned the 4x4 light can be caused by the SAS, the yaw sensor or wheel speed sensor. The scanner will usually tell you which.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto:
perfect, thanks. I put one of those voltage testers in my cigarette lighter that just tells you current voltage and it seems to hold steady at 12 and around 14 while running. so I think I'm good there. will test my sensors tomorrow with multimeter and see if I have any luck.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325i Touring/07 X3si
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbar View Post
hi, new bmw owner here. picked up a used x5 with 180 km on it for a very good price (or so i thought).

driving around town it doesn't seem to have any issues but when i take it on the highway after about 3-5 minutes (sometimes sooner) i get the dsc 4x4 inactive light and the brake light (O). no abs light illuminates.

I have ordered a foxwell scanner from amazon but due to covid-19 its not slated to show up until mid may. I scanned the vehicle with my elm327 wifi unit and a compatible app. found a bunch of stored codes so i cleared them, drove around some more and re-scanned at home. found
4F7A
51AD
2E95
The cheapo scanner doesn't give me any code descriptions and looking is just confusing me more... so that's why i'm here.

Note: I replaced the alternator a couple days ago with a certified rebuild unit from Napa (live in smaller town canada). The bearing seemed to be squealing - once removed definitely felt something was wrong. still getting mild squeak but that's a whole other issue. going to find a mech stethoscope tomorrow.

also, i do not hear any clicking from the transfer case when the vehicle is shut off. i spent the $20 on amazon for a new gear in case that issue finds me but don't want to rip the thing apart if that's not the issue.

I live 2 hours away from a bmw dealership and reluctant to go there - (covid and $$$). not even sure if i should be driving the vehicle in it's current state.

any advice will be very appreciated!

thanks
A quick check of the codes gives you a better idea of what is going on:

4F7A - This error has to do with the 4x4 transfer case servo motor. Either the gear or the actual electric motor that moves the gear. As you mentioned the gear has a tendency of stripping out so you can start there since it's the cheapest. Check in this order starting with the cheapest and easiest. Servo gear -> servo motor -> transfer case

Plenty of videos on youtube on how to deal with that

51AD - "No message from Dynamic Stability Control" Could be a wheel speed sensor. Check this video

5014 - "Supply voltage,transmission control" could be related to your alternator if it's not working 100% Just because the alternator is brand new doesn't mean it will be good.

2E95 - This is an alternator code

I would start off with another alternator. The important part is the voltage regulator and if it's not a quality unit then it could be sending out unstable power.

Some of the other issues you are experiencing could be caused by the bad alternator so until you have a solid working unit you could be chasing ghosts.

Alternator, then transfer case gear and a transfer case fluid change would be my suggestion. Ravenol TF-0870 is the same stuff that BMW uses at half the price.

What part of small town Canada are you in? I'm outside of London, ON myself and know exactly what a pain in the ass having a european car can be outside of the big cities.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: '01 E53 X5 Black/Black
Did you get your foxwell? You can engage the TC actuator motor with it.

I'm curious about the brake icon.

The (0) brake icon on my car is what shows up whenever the brake pads are worn. What happens when you pull the hand brake lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2005, 4.4 liter v8, 4x4, abs, bmw, brake, dsc, trifecta, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search