On the fence about Navigation - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 335i and 2014 X3 35i
On the fence about Navigation

I know a lot of you will actually order/have the Tech package that includes Navigation but I don't have any use for HUD etc. So my question is do I need Navigation? I know because of it (I have it with my current F30) you get a much nicer and bigger screen etc but all the other features I just don't use, and the Navigaton itself I almost never use as I use Waze, especially on long trips where you even get some limited headsup on cops. So will I miss the better screen if I don't order it with the 340i?

Thank you in advance.

2014 X3 35i Dynamic Handling Package| Cold Weather Package | NAV | Premium hi-fi system | Driver Assistance Package.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT. GONE Great car, zero issues

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I know a lot of you will actually order/have the Tech package that includes Navigation but I don't have any use for HUD etc. So my question is do I need Navigation? I know because of it (I have it with my current F30) you get a much nicer and bigger screen etc but all the other features I just don't use, and the Navigaton itself I almost never use as I use Waze, especially on long trips where you even get some limited headsup on cops. So will I miss the better screen if I don't order it with the 340i?

Thank you in advance.
I no longer ever use the Navigation on my 2013 F30 that has it. In my view the only thing you need is enhanced USB/BT option.

I do like the HUD quite a lot and would purchase it separately if it was a standalone option, but it is not.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Not sure if it's worth the $ but it adds voice control to the car. As I travel a lot for work and need to use my phone while driving, I miss being able to make calls hands free. You can program a few numbers into the dash buttons, but obviously there are only 7 programmable buttons and you lose the ability to program other functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
The newer Nav system has better real time traffic information than the older system. Much more like what you get from Google Maps. I use Waze as well, but it is difficult to see on the small phone screen. I think you will like the new Navigation system. IMHO, it makes the car much more enjoyable to drive, especially on long trips. I can't tell you all the differences between the older or newer system, but I would not buy or lease a BMW without it. I lease, so I get the newest electronics every 3 years or so.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
The way that I see this is, if you are asking in a forum whether to get an option or not then just don't.

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Not sure if it's worth the $ but it adds voice control to the car. As I travel a lot for work and need to use my phone while driving, I miss being able to make calls hands free. You can program a few numbers into the dash buttons, but obviously there are only 7 programmable buttons and you lose the ability to program other functions.
This shouldn't matter, as you can use SIRI with just enhanced BT/USB to call any of your contacts. The only caveat is you need to have internet service to use SIRI at the time you want to make the call.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
I'm on the fence about getting this with the next car as well. I just did a 1300 mile round trip all around CA and used Waze via my iPhone 6 the whole time and it was fine. The appealing part of the NAV to me is the bigger screen, extended contents, weather and traffic but I'm not sure I'd use it all that much and its a $2000 option. And I'm poor

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i XDrive M-Sport
I've only had mine for about a month, but it's still a lot easier to use Waze (especially with the traffic/cop alerts). The BMW voice recognition is pretty slow for an impatient person, I don't use the apps, and the HUD is nice but not worth all of it.

My off the lot car came with the Tech package, but at this point if I was ordering I would do without it and get something else for my $3k.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8orscott View Post
I've only had mine for about a month, but it's still a lot easier to use Waze (especially with the traffic/cop alerts). The BMW voice recognition is pretty slow for an impatient person, I don't use the apps, and the HUD is nice but not worth all of it.

My off the lot car came with the Tech package, but at this point if I was ordering I would do without it and get something else for my $3k.
Ditto.

I would much rather have M-sport and/or Track package than the tech package.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
BMW's real time traffic has improved greatly, but it is far from being as accurate and reliable as Google's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmeyer View Post
The newer Nav system has better real time traffic information than the older system. Much more like what you get from Google Maps. I use Waze as well, but it is difficult to see on the small phone screen. I think you will like the new Navigation system. IMHO, it makes the car much more enjoyable to drive, especially on long trips. I can't tell you all the differences between the older or newer system, but I would not buy or lease a BMW without it. I lease, so I get the newest electronics every 3 years or so.

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa

Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i M Sport
If leasing the car then I would only buy what I would use as the car is going back anyway. If purchasing I would buy that particular option even though you may not frequently use it but it will make a difference in its resale value weather you trade it in or sell it. Some options are not recognized at trade in, this option is. So for that I would consider purchasing it.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
On the fence about Navigation

What's the enhanced BT give you above the standard?
I didn't order it because I don't want the phone cradle (that doesn't fit the iPhone 6)

Last edited by Hookster57; 07-01-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:33 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:

Thank you in advance.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 07-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
To each his/her own.

No way I'd do without Navi and HUD. Invaluable to me.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 View Post
I didn't order it because I don't want the phone cradle (that doesn't fit the iPhone 6)
The phone cradle is an accessory; it has nothing at all to do with EBT. It has to do with additional features other than being able to make and receive calls.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 07-01-2015, 12:29 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
BMW's real time traffic has improved greatly, but it is far from being as accurate and reliable as Google's.
There's no way any in car nav traffic system can beat Google traffic data. They take data from the GPS of all Android phones--whether you are using the map app or not.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-01-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
comes down to needs and wants. no one 'needs' the Nav option if they have a smart phone since google maps or waze does an excellent job. Problem with that is you are dependent on cell service. If you have an iPhone 6 or similar, the screen is big enough unless you really 'need' to see the animation or buildings or whatever. If you want the Nav, it's fine but almost no one 'needs' it. Although, we are talking about BMW here so no one needs a BMW. A Chevy Spark and your phone serves the same purpose.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 View Post
I believe you need enhanced USB/BT to get the ability to play music through your phone to the in car stereo... it also includes other feature capabilities like text messages showing up in the information display that you otherwise go without.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I believe you need enhanced USB/BT to get the ability to play music through your phone to the in car stereo... it also includes other feature capabilities like text messages showing up in the information display that you otherwise go without.
Right--I have a '14, and here's the description on the option sheet of the additional features, beyond calling:

Quote:
Enhanced USB, Bluetooth including Audio Streaming, and Mobile Office
features,5 plus Smartphone Integration (also included with BMW Navigation
system); Message Dictation available with optional 3rd-party subscription

Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Right--I have a '14, and here's the description on the option sheet of the additional features, beyond calling:
It's also worth noting that the hardware to do this is standard in all cars that are bound for the US market, you are simply paying for the option to be turned on.

IF one were to order and forget this option I believe that it can be coded into the car for a nominal fee although in the case of a lease it's probably a no brainer to simply order it since it will work out to something like $5 a month in your lease payment.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: '15 435i Gran Coupé
I chose my car out of dealer stock and it was equipped close to what I'd have spec'd...close, but not completely there. Mine has the standalone nav, I'd have ordered the Tech Pkg to get the HUD. And I, too, use Waze on my phone in a cupholder mounted phone cradle...and I still use the Nav. BMW's POI database is out of date and somewhat clunky to use, but I feel that nav is a must-have at this price point. YMMV.
'15 328i GT, Midnight Blue//Black Dakota (Gretel)
'13 MINI JCW (traded for 435i)
'07 X3, Platinum Beige//Tobacco/Black
'92 318is, Coral Red//Black
'78 316 Euro Spec (eventually swapped in a 2.0l)

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=12943&pictureid=50230
Old 07-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
The HUD alone is why i got the Tech package. It just happened to come with Nav. I didn't think i was going to be using the Nav all that much but i put it to good use during the European Delivery and it has been an indispensable part of the car since.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Me personally, I think HUD is a waste at $1k. Most of the time it's just a digital speedo. You do get some directional information when navigating a route, though how much of the time is this an enjoyable display of technology vs. a really useful feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
The HUD alone is why i got the Tech package. It just happened to come with Nav. I didn't think i was going to be using the Nav all that much but i put it to good use during the European Delivery and it has been an indispensable part of the car since.

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa

Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT

Last edited by Robert A; 07-01-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: Incoming: BMW 328i
It's all personal preference. I want the most performance options and the sound system. Unfortunately my '15 328i Sportline that's being shipped over was already ordered by the dealer before I could add the better sound sound system. Doesn't have the nav and I am not upset by that at all. Both of my parents cars (Mercedes GL350 BLUTECH and BMW i3) have Navs and they both prefer to use WAZE. My last car (2012 VW GLI) didn't have nav and I never even thought about it. Weirdly enough, the non-nav Volkswagens get a better and larger monitor than the nav models which was my rationale. I'm leasing my BMW so it doesn't matter to make it more desirable.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 F82 M4
Audio streaming was standard equipment in my 2015. But yeah previously you needed that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I believe you need enhanced USB/BT to get the ability to play music through your phone to the in car stereo
BMWCCA #495455
2017 F82 M4 ZCP

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search