Model 3 starts delivery, is that really the 3-series killer? - Page 168 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 07-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Driver

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
Yeah, that subframe cracking is horrible. Usually seen on cars of 10+ years old, rather 15.

Meanwhile Tesla doesn't have issues with delivering cracked new cars

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/9093/b...acked-a-pillar

But weldings don't hold for long either

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...acking.100798/

#safestcar
Tesla stood behind the Model S with the cracked A pillar and is replacing the car.

As for your statement that "weldings don't hold for long either", if you had bothered to read through the thread, you would have found that is an incorrect statement. The crack was in a seam filler, not a weld. It was a cosmetic issue, not structural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2020, 07:22 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Your expertise to mix two different statements together into one demonstrates unparalleled finesse and deceit.

Again, the lack of recall of frame cracks on brand new Tesla, should not be of comfort to any Tesla owner.

On the other hand, complaint of frame cracks on brand new BMW's is unheard of on BF. If there is any(BF or others) please forward the link.
I'm really not particularly concerned with the occasional assembly or construction problem on a vehicle. This happens with every vehicle out there, and is covered by either a warranty or lemon law. Having a design flaw where the problem occurs far down the road and is not covered by warranties or lemon laws is actually a more heinous problem as far as I'm concerned. Therefore, I see the E46 unibody cracking as a significantly worse problem than the one instance that has been posted here of Tesla frame cracks.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Driver

Quote:
It is convenient to categorize issues uncovered by Munro as just "poor from a cost and manufacturing efficiency standpoint", but let's assume that is the case.

Combined those alleged cost and manufacturing issues with cracked frames on brand new Tesla fresh from factory creates a new class of problems that honest Tesla owners should ponder on.
One cracked frame on the over half a million cars Tesla has produced over the last 10 years simply doesn't warrant your hysteria.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
I'm really not particularly concerned with the occasional assembly or construction problem on a vehicle. This happens with every vehicle out there, and is covered by either a warranty or lemon law. Having a design flaw where the problem occurs far down the road and is not covered by warranties or lemon laws is actually a more heinous problem as far as I'm concerned. Therefore, I see the E46 unibody cracking as a significantly worse problem than the one instance that has been posted here of Tesla frame cracks.
Honest owners usually do not take these issues lightly, but there seems to be Tesla owners that think otherwise.

At least inquisitive minds may search for clues of the failure models, maybe the robot just happened to sneeze occasionally?

Also, to use your logic, the E46 unibody issue is A-OK, since it is covered by recall/class action.

Quote:
That is an example that manufacturer skipping reliability fresh out of factory and/or past 100-150k miles and beyond will pay.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
One cracked frame on the over half a million cars Tesla has produced over the last 10 years simply doesn't warrant your hysteria.
There is agreement of at least one.

Inquisitive minds may ponder how many are unreported, esp. voicing any concern will bring hysteria from Tesla cult members?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Driver

Quote:
Honest owners usually do not take these issues lightly, but there seems to be Tesla owners that think otherwise.

At least inquisitive minds may search for clues of the failure models, maybe the robot just happened to sneeze occasionally?

Also, to use your logic, the E46 unibody issue is A-OK, since it is covered by recall/class action.
There was a time limit on any claims where they had to be filed by a certain date, sometime in 2010 if I recall correctly. If the problem occurs after that, you're SOL. Therefore, the E46 unibody issue is NOT "A-OK". It is a perfect example of why it is much better to have a problem when you first get a new car, rather than a ticking time bomb which can kick in many miles and years down the line.

Last edited by GregD; 07-08-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
It is a perfect example of why it is much better to have a problem when you first get a new car, rather than a ticking time bomb which can kick in many miles and years down the line.
So is your plan to tear down your Model 3 to check for those problems on a brand new car?

It is a "much better" problem only if owners know about it.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Driver

Quote:
So is your plan to tear down your Model 3 to check for those problems on a brand new car?

It is a "much better" problem only if owners know about it.
Wow, can you get any more silly? If we use your convoluted logic here, every car should be torn down when you first get it to check for problems.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
There was a time limit on any claims where they had to be filed by a certain date, sometime in 2010 if I recall correctly. If the problem occurs after that, you're SOL. Therefore, the E46 unibody issue is NOT "A-OK". It is a perfect example of why it is much better to have a problem when you first get a new car, rather than a ticking time bomb which can kick in many miles and years down the line.
An inquisitive Tesla owner(Model 3 lease, no worries) at work forwarded this, asking this to be shared.

This 6-year old Model S [email protected] The affected Model S owner(paid out-of-pocket for the repair) specifically mentioned E46:

"The only analogy I can find is the BMW E46 3 Series where the subframe was pulling against the unibody and causing cracks in the body. Guess what BMW did. Ten years of goodwill repairs regardless of mileage and design changes to stop the issue. In my case, they were just planning on sending the subframe off to recycling and moving on."

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...ervice.135408/
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Wow, can you get any more silly? If we use your convoluted logic here, every car should be torn down when you first get it to check for problems.
Honestly logic like".... it is much better to have a problem when you first get a new car, rather than a ticking time bomb which can kick in many miles and years down the line" is what inquisitive minds usually label as bull****, but Tesla cult members appear to not care, or not honest enough to keep Tesla honest, and that is unfortunate.

As far as the term "tear down", for those paying attention to Munro's Model Y teardown series, simply unscrewing/removing frunk panel are steps of tear down.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Driver

Quote:
Honestly logic like".... it is much better to have a problem when you first get a new car, rather than a ticking time bomb which can kick in many miles and years down the line" is what inquisitive minds usually label as bull****, but Tesla cult members appear to not care, or not honest enough to keep Tesla honest, and that is unfortunate.
The only bull**** around here is what you keep trying to pass off. Boring.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The only bull**** around here is what you keep trying to pass off. Boring.
Emotionless inquisitive minds do not take bull****, and intend not to spread bull****.

E.g. inquisitive minds(including those who own Tesla) looking at the Tesla owner's fiasco of cracked [email protected] or brand new acknowledge the issue, that is all.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
I don't get this logic either. Only obvious issues surface right after purchase. Hiddens remain hidden until they cause an issue. A visible cracked frame suggests there is more under the hood.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I don't get this logic either. Only obvious issues surface right after purchase. Hiddens remain hidden until they cause an issue. A visible cracked frame suggests there is more under the hood.
Check out the picture on link of post#4189, Tesla basically disassembled the whole car to get to damaged part.

The owner paid $2035 to fix, which was not that bad, but do read that the owner started hearing THUNK THUNK THUNK just backing out of parking spot, just imagine what can happen if this breaks at highway speed/on track.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Check out the picture on link of post#4189, Tesla basically disassembled the whole car to get to damaged part.

The owner paid $2035 to fix, which was not that bad, but do read that the owner started hearing THUNK THUNK THUNK just backing out of parking spot, just imagine what can happen if this breaks at highway speed/on track.
Model S front suspension failure at 35k mi

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-video.199103/
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Model S front suspension failure at 35k mi

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-video.199103/
The OP says that the car is CPO with aftermarket sensor installed by previous owner to keep air suspension low, and Tesla paid for repair as the CPO inspection did not find this sensor.

So this case is not a Tesla factory/reliability issue.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The OP says that the car is CPO with aftermarket sensor installed by previous owner to keep air suspension low, and Tesla paid for repair as the CPO inspection did not find this sensor.

So this case is not a Tesla factory/reliability issue.
Only because a car is lowered suspension shouldn't fall apart.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-11-2020, 11:16 AM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	900345  
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Is there a link to this thread of Model 3 buyback?
Old 07-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Is there a link to this thread of Model 3 buyback?
No, it's on the Porsche forum. When I was searching for it I found this one: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...ration.186326/
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-11-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
No, it's on the Porsche forum. When I was searching for it I found this one: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...ration.186326/
Thanks for the link. There seems to be more of this type of complaints posted on Tesla forum than in the past.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Only because a car is lowered suspension shouldn't fall apart.
The thread does not elaborate, but aftermarket suspension mod may lower further than factory spec allows.

Similarly bimmer mods can stretch stock parts beyond factory spec leading to stock part failures.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The thread does not elaborate, but aftermarket suspension mod may lower further than factory spec allows.

Similarly bimmer mods can stretch stock parts beyond factory spec leading to stock part failures.
He bought it from Tesla that way. It wasn't lowered to the floor. Nothing extreme.

I see tons of suspension failure with the Model S. Something is wrong there with the build quality.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
He bought it from Tesla that way. It wasn't lowered to the floor. Nothing extreme.

I see tons of suspension failure with the Model S. Something is wrong there with the build quality.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136377...7658490111523/
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for the link. These are not good at all.

E.g. the first incident was just 2.5 months ago.

A 3-year old Model S with 20k miles and rear wheels falling [email protected]?!?

Is there any NHTSA case on this yet?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum
Today's Posts Search