BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New member... looking for a 335i Coupe

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  sgm335i 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I currently own a Saab 9-3, and I am looking to upgrade to a 335i Coupe. I'm trying to stay around 20k.

I want either white or black exterior, and either black or red interior. I also want iDrive with a usb port. Do all 335i with iDrive have this or is it only on newer models? :dunno:

Any suggestions on what to look for will be appreciated :)

#2 ·
As long as you know what you're getting yourself into. For 20K, you can grab up to a 2008 335i is my best guess based on prices at least in the New England area. USB ports aren't exactly standard fare, but if the previous owner optioned it out at purchase...well then you'll get it. Look in the center storage area, there should be an AUX port as well as a USB port. iDrive was also massively overhauled to a hard-drive system (as opposed to a the CD based from 2006-2008), so if you're a techy, you'll want to spring for a 2009 if you can.

IMO, if you're not used to BMW costs for maintenance (pre-emptive maintenance is the key), go for a 328i, no turbos, no major issues to worry about really, but still has that spunk when you smash the gas in.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm definitely going to need USB, so I'll have to look for that on each car. My Saab wasn't a low maintenance car, and based on my research they will cost about the same to maintain (plus parts are easier to find for the BMW)

I'm definitely a techy, so maybe I do need to look for the 09 models. Is the CIC system really that much better?

Edit: Also, I don't need the USB port for an iPod/iPhone, just to use for a USB drive, so it being in the glovebox would be fine

#5 ·
have you considered a cabriolet? I bought my first bmw in sept 2012 and its a 2009 335i Cabriolet! so much happier that i got that instead of a coupe. Similar power but includes some summer fun drives.

atleast, here in Toronto, enjoying the summer is a big deal! :p

Good luck!

#6 ·
have you considered a cabriolet? I bought my first bmw in sept 2012 and its a 2009 335i Cabriolet! so much happier that i got that instead of a coupe. Similar power but includes some summer fun drives.

atleast, here in Toronto, enjoying the summer is a big deal! :p

Good luck!
No :D

As a 21 year old male in Texas I couldn't be seen in a convertible.

I found a nice 09 coupe with USB in the armrest.

Just to verify, if it is an 09, will it by default have a USB port in the glove box to copy music to the hard drive?

#12 ·
As a 335i owner with the black-on-black, who bought the car while living in Texas, I would advise you go with white. The Texas heat was unreal and the black made it that much worse. My car has the brushed aluminum trim vs the wood trim interior. The aluminum would heat up badly enough to burn you if you weren't watching out for it.

It's a great car to drive and when it's clean, it's the best. But black is tough to keep clean, so factor that into your equation. Good luck, and send pics when you make your purchase.

#20 ·
Purchased it for 23k :thumbup:

even had the USB/iPod adapter ;)

I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll be sure to post pics
.... or it didn't happen! :)

Congrats and Welcome to the 'Fest!

#22 ·
Hey guys,

I currently own a Saab 9-3, and I am looking to upgrade to a 335i Coupe. I'm trying to stay around 20k.

I want either white or black exterior, and either black or red interior. I also want iDrive with a usb port. Do all 335i with iDrive have this or is it only on newer models? :dunno:

Any suggestions on what to look for will be appreciated :)
I had a Saab 9-3 Aero, 6 speed manual. Very fun car to drive, but the inside was cheap as hell.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.