BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

delete

633 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  HerbP 
#1 · (Edited)
delete

#2 ·
Increased Battery Discharge warning caused by hi drain while OFF.

Increased Battery Discharge warning is caused by a module not sleeping properly, a defective module drawing excessive current while the car is OFF, or a hacked electrical system with an aftermarket accessory installed.

An improperly sleeping module will be identified and remembered in the ECU.

newTIS.info beta
Home / BMW E63 645Ci Coupe / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 61 General vehicle electrical system / 61 20 Battery /
Closed-circuit current measurement

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...hicle-electrical-system/61-20-battery/YDj5gs8

#4 ·
Do you have comfort access? If yes touch the door handles and if they feel warm to the touch that could be your problem. Rather common source of drain on E70 side.

#8 ·
Doing testing in ISTA, Terminal 30 was at 14.5v or so while car running, which is what I think it is supposed to be at. As some of you may know, I've been having an issue where when I roll down the windows, the CIC screen flickers. I noticed that when I do this, terminal 30 lowers to around 13-13.5v

also, ISTA states that VTC2 - Valvetronic bank 2 ECU not responding. Is this bad?
It looks like a lot of the problems could be from the Kombi install. Something not coded correctly, or a short. The Valvetronic problem could be from a bug in the software from what I have been told by a Tech that I know. If you rerun the diagnostics it should go away if that is the case. If the code does not go away I would inspect the fuses in the IVM to see if one is blown. I would suspect that a can bus error is most likely shutting down modules due to all of the electrical gremlins that you are chasing. There are can bus programs on the net that can be used to narrow down the problem, but it is going to take quite a while unless you get lucky. You will also need some type of O-Scope to help find the problem. You will have to unhook a module one by one to find the module with the problem. I would run diagnostics in ISTA/D & drill down into the modules test. If you are getting errors in the DME, the error will have to be done directly in that module to help clear errors in other modules that could be linked.

#12 ·
Didn't have the increased battery discharge message today. Will check codes again in a couple days. Things that I did:
Charged battery
Checked system with ISTA (this resets the MOST bus)
Cleared codes with ISTA
Checked system again with ISTA

Will have to see how it goes. I checked the functionality of the CAS and it said that all the door handles were responding properly, they responded correctly when I touched them (updated in ISTA to show the door handle was touched), and is properly reading the key, so I don't think its a comfort access problem. It is possible I wasn't driving the car enough.
Drive it like you stole it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.