My MS 2007 Office is asking for product key-Help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
My MS 2007 Office is asking for product key-Help

To make a long story short, I reformated my laptop. The original OS is the 2010 version of Win 7 and most websites don't recognize this version. But, after a few days of updating, Win 7 is up to date, no issue here. However, my home/student copy of MS Office 2007 gives me a warning that I can only open Excel 24 times without entering the product key, which I have no idea where it is physically located now. How can I overcome this time bomb? Local computer geek wants $55 to reload Office 2007, but without a key. I am not sure this is legit. Any idea of getting MS Office 2007 legit back?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017, 02:22 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Never mind. I'm getting a Microsoft Volume Licensing copy from eBay for $15.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Just went and looked. I've got a full version somewhere around here that I got at work (legal copy and legal for me to have), but it has gone MIA. I've also got a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, but it is an upgrade version. Looks like there are good deals on 7 Pro. I'll probably just buy both here soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Just 2 days ago I did a major cleanup of my drawers and broke and trashed copies of Office 7 and Office 2010(?) CDs. I saw your title and 'oh no..'. Glad you have that resolved.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
The good thing is the software is on its way. After 24 opening a file without the key, I still have access to my excel spreadsheet, but only for viewing, not updating. But, being stupid, I uninstalled MS Office 2007 without thinking (need to do that before installing the copy that is coming). Now, I have no access to my most important excel file.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 AM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
Install OpenOpenOffice or similar for free. It's what I did when I was in your situation a long time ago.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Just 2 days ago I did a major cleanup of my drawers and broke and trashed copies of Office 7 and Office 2010(?) CDs. I saw your title and 'oh no..'. Glad you have that resolved.
yep - me too - less than a month ago I cleaned up my shelves + ditched a ton of old software like this.

I just upgraded our office to O365, so we all have latest pay for ever licenses, which I actually fought for ages. Now I've taken the jump, I am VERY pleasantly surprised at how many hidden benefits there are to this subscription basis. As we're a microsoft reseller, we're getting it 'wholesale' instead of $15 a seat, we save a couple of bucks. But I was disappointed that I had to get another paid seat for our calendar sync between our CRM/Billing/Helpdesk solution to be able to communicate with Office365.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
yep - me too - less than a month ago I cleaned up my shelves + ditched a ton of old software like this.

I just upgraded our office to O365, so we all have latest pay for ever licenses, which I actually fought for ages. Now I've taken the jump, I am VERY pleasantly surprised at how many hidden benefits there are to this subscription basis. As we're a microsoft reseller, we're getting it 'wholesale' instead of $15 a seat, we save a couple of bucks. But I was disappointed that I had to get another paid seat for our calendar sync between our CRM/Billing/Helpdesk solution to be able to communicate with Office365.
Glad you like my stock.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Glad you like my stock.
I like the stock, but I didn't like the monthly pay-forever model until I tried it - now I love it. I think they do a horrible job of explaining the EXTRA benefits you get from the cloud Office 365 subscriptions, like a business phone system, skype for business, Exchange for small business is VASTLY superior to doing your own email through even a hosting company like our own. I might end up adding Office 365 offerings as an upsell to our web hosting offering as I like it so much. I might not get a ton of takers, but the benefits are really nice and I had no idea because they do a p1ss-poor job of explaining it.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
What happens when you buy a license from a 'used' copy of say office pro 2016? Say it was "removed from a previous system that is no longer needed"..the sale of this license is therefore permitted under EU laws.

Lets say it cost $9.99. Registered via MS online, downloaded, activated, all good.

Will it stop working one day?

I mean if I go more than 60 days I am ahead of the rental model, right?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What happens when you buy a license from a 'used' copy of say office pro 2016? Say it was "removed from a previous system that is no longer needed"..the sale of this license is therefore permitted under EU laws.

Lets say it cost $9.99. Registered via MS online, downloaded, activated, all good.

Will it stop working one day?

I mean if I go more than 60 days I am ahead of the rental model, right?
I am not sure if this is against the EULA in the USA, but assuming it activated, no - it will continue to work and get updates until they shop offering them for that version.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search