Strategies when losing hair - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: can you guess?
Strategies when losing hair

When you're losing hair, what should you do? The first is to eliminate easy causes, but these usually are not the problem.

1. good nutrition, address any problems, like thyroid
2. no tight fitting hats
3. no hair pulling

Then what?

My guesses are:
4. Rogaine, which increases blood flow to the hair follicle
5. ********, reduces testosterone but some don't like it saying it can have slight sexual dysfunction effects
6. phototherapy helmut, not proven

How about
7. combover. I think this is ineffective except in minor cases of hair thinning on top prior to getting a full blown bald spot.

Toupee???
Shaved head???
Hair transplant???
Nothing, do what Prince William does, which is to comb hair normally and see the huge bald areas

Jokes and serious comments welcomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 AM

#5 got censored. I used the trade name for finasteride. Starts with Prop...
Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I went with short hair - only last week I shaved my head for the first time - I saw a photo from behind and knew it was thin back there, but once you start to look like a monk, get the razor out!
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
One of my favorite lines from a TV ad, this for the Bosley restoration thing:

"I mess this hair up if I wanna mess this hair up."

No idea if it works as well as they say it does. My hair grows like weeds and it's full. Lucky genes.

you are lucky I guess - my genes are not so great in the hair dept, both sides were thin. But my little brother has been shaving his head for more than a decade, so I guess I did a little better than him.

Also - this bald head look and experience has given me another business idea... it's very early on, but I secured the domain name, so we'll see if it comes to anything... who knows, it could the big one in terms of business ideas - I have a whole lot that don't go anywhere..
Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
My bald spot is in the back. I can't see it so I don't worry about it. I figure if it turns grey or falls out, it turns grey or falls out. When I turned 53, I didn't have a grey hair on my head. My 55, my beard was almost all grey and now, in my 60's, it's working it's way up the sides. If the top ever goes, I'll trim it down to a Hippocratic fringe. I've just never been very vain about my hair.

I wasn't that bothered, but Mrs wyb made a couple of comments like always being able to find me... so now I'm bald for a while just to mess with her...
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3 . . . 2012 528i
^ I think that's a good look. I'm more likely to do that then spend money on hair. But every guy ought to do what suits him and his career.

And speaking of babies...
Lucy: "Think of the beautiful children these two could have. Imagine a little girl with Dorothy's lovely hair and Sam's wide-set eyes. What are you laughing at?"
Ricky: "I was just thinking it would be funny if she turned out to have Dorothy's lovely eyes and Sam's wide-set hair!"
Old 05-14-2018, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3 . . . 2012 528i
Quote:
One of my favorite lines from a TV ad, this for the Bosley restoration thing:

"I mess this hair up if I wanna mess this hair up."
Haha. That commercial was on every night in 2014!

Old 05-15-2018, 02:57 AM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I wasn't that bothered, but Mrs wyb made a couple of comments like always being able to find me... so now I'm bald for a while just to mess with her...

A friend isn't vain about his hair but was wearing a hat one day inside. We were both raised that hats are for outdoors. Especially at the dinner table they come off. When I mentioned it in a joking manner he replied he was having a bad hair day. He keeps what hair he has left cut short so I asked how he could have a bad hair day with no hair. He pulled the hat off anf his wife has bought corduroy pillow covers and his head was covered with lines.

Text if you want to meet him.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Mine has slowly been thinning for the last 30+ years. I shaved it once about 17 years ago. My daughters friends were all afraid of me and my wife said I looked like an "F" dude and asked me to grow it back.
Two of my brother have a full head of hair and two of them have hair that is much thinner then mine. I figure when it goes, it goes. It doesn't bother my wife so, I try not to let it bother me.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:06 AM

Yep - get a wahl clipper and go with a #2 cut - that's my regular cut - this bald thing would be a lot of work to keep up - wear a beard and 'designer stubble' on my face because I am not a fan of shaving, but this head thing will be a lot of work to keep it up - and I have to say, my scalp has a few bumps and shaving it brought out a few spots. I did read that your scalp gets used to that and there are preparations and lotions to help, but because it will likely be more work than shaving my face, I'm likely to head back to the wahl.

This is the wahl kit I have - there is a cordless version available, but I prefer corded:

https://amzn.to/2IDCPdc

Meanwhile, the new trimmer/clipper that Mrs wyb got me for trimming my beard is pretty good for my head as well - it's a Philips Norelco OneBlade:

https://amzn.to/2IhzUYc

I was skeptical at first, but one use and I was converted - it's super easy to trim my mustache, or sideburns and now I can run it over my head and take it down to practically invisible ready to shave it with a blade.

If I'm in a hurry and can't be bothered to shave with a brush, shaving foam and blade, I can run this thing over my face and it gets me to about a 2-3 hour after a blade shave type level, ie, I can feel a little roughness, but from a few feet away, you look pretty much shaven.

The blade heads for this are not cheap though, I think I got a 2 pack at Kroger for $22 on special - normally $25 - but this was a Christmas gift and I'm still on the original blade head that came with it, although I am about ready to replace it, especially as I did my head twice with it. The other thing I was impressed with is the charge - I charged it when I got it and have only had to charge it ONCE since then a few weeks ago as I could tell it was slowing down a little. It's a VERY impressive little tool in my personal care toolkit.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 AM
Do You Smell That?

Mein Auto: 997.1
Quote:
My bald spot is in the back. I can't see it so I don't worry about it. I figure if it turns grey or falls out, it turns grey or falls out. When I turned 53, I didn't have a grey hair on my head. My 55, my beard was almost all grey and now, in my 60's, it's working it's way up the sides. If the top ever goes, I'll trim it down to a Hippocratic fringe. I've just never been very vain about my hair.
This ^^^ plus this:

Old 05-15-2018, 07:38 AM

I have a several pair of clippers maybe even three or four. I don't remember what the others are but the current one is a Hamilton or an Oster. The others are in storage in TX. I'm sure at least one is a Wahl and one is a Phillips. They have all worked equally well when I had a beard and for my head.
I always remember something an old bald guy at church used to say. I even repeat it myself sometimes. "God only created 10% of heads perfect, the rest he covered with hair" and " everybody has just about the same amount of hormones, (I don't think this is true but it sounds good anyways.) if you want to waste yours growing hair, that's your business.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
I'm 6'0" and have massive hair. I noted some years ago that Yul Brenner was shorter than me and bald ... and probably got laid more.

I read somewhere that higher testosterone levels can result in baldness. I searched it just now, found this:

https://www.healthline.com/health/ha...erone#baldness

Who knows. I know I worked with a guy for some years when I was learning the finer points of home building. A really good guy, very smart, taught me a lot. One day his customary ball cap flew off and man, he was in a hurry to put it back on. I saw the bare dome for the first time. He looked at me sheepishly. Whenever we had a company social event, he wore an African looking skull cap.

Musician Richard Thompson is similar. Always has some sort of hat on. Always. Well, I did see one or two pics with dome showing. Not trying to sneer at him or my buddy, just interesting that some guys have no issue with it all while others hide it well.

Then again, I don't like bad hair days. I always got a kick out the name Click and Clack, the Car Talk guys gave their production company: 'Urgent Haircut Productions.'

Thompson:

Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Mine is similar to this. If it stays that way, I'm fine with that. It got like that over 10 years. My front looks fine but is actually thinner than 10 years ago.

I hope I will be no worse than this in 15 years but I think I might be like that in 5 years.

I hope that I will never be like this but I might in 12 years.

Last edited by Mercedes Benz; 05-15-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:43 PM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
Quote:
I always got a kick out the name Click and Clack, the Car Talk guys gave their production company: 'Urgent Haircut Productions.'

That was a long running joke on their show. It was about a guy who had an urgent need for a hair cut. It was a reference to using the bathroom.

Text if you want to meet him.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
I grew up on Long Island, where my dad was a man of a certain age in a culture of similar men who thought it necessary to get a toupee. A trip to his condo seemed like visiting the capital city in the Hunger Games. Men everywhere with what looked like absurd animal pelts draped across their domes. With this experience, I have vowed for as long as I can remember to accept whatever baldness comes my way with dignity. I'm not going to shave it bald, no pelts, no creams, ointments, scalp surgeries, plugs, dyes, nothing.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
I grew up on Long Island, where my dad was a man of a certain age in a culture of similar men who thought it necessary to get a toupee. A trip to his condo seemed like visiting the capital city in the Hunger Games. Men everywhere with what looked like absurd animal pelts draped across their domes. With this experience, I have vowed for as long as I can remember to accept whatever baldness comes my way with dignity. I'm not going to shave it bald, no pelts, no creams, ointments, scalp surgeries, plugs, dyes, nothing.
Some newscasters have toupees. Many look very good. I think Jeff Glor, anchor of the CBS Evening News has one. Not 100% sure. Could be his real hair but I think it's not.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
Pretty much every dude I work with who is balding has gone for the "screw it, set the clipper for 1/4 inch" approach.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
Quote:
That was a long running joke on their show. It was about a guy who had an urgent need for a hair cut. It was a reference to using the bathroom.
Ah, that makes sense, I like it the other way also. I have felt that way, that I wanted a haircut quick. If I work with anything dusty, and the hair is getting long, it poofs out in a weird sort of redneck afro. Just makes my head look unbalanced. Vanity, I guess, but it's like placebo effect. If you like your hair, you feel better.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
Pretty much every dude I work with who is balding has gone for the "screw it, set the clipper for 1/4 inch" approach.
+1. My parents' generation, my dad included, did the comb over that looked really bad. I told myself that I'd rather shave it that comb over. Best thing is that I haven't had to carry a comb in years.

I buzz it short once a week, but only shaved it once. Knit hats didn't feel right with a day's worth of stubble.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
+1. My parents' generation, my dad included, did the comb over that looked really bad. I told myself that I'd rather shave it that comb over. Best thing is that I haven't had to carry a comb in years.

I buzz it short once a week, but only shaved it once. Knit hats didn't feel right with a day's worth of stubble.
My 85yo dad was VERY bald before I was born (he was 26 when I arrived) and always kept the sides short, but he was an AF pilot and then a National Guard pilot, so he had to keep it short. His main job was chemistry teacher. The physics teacher that he shared an office was also very bald, but let the sides grow a bit, never a combover (he was also older than dad). My grandfather was also very bald and never did the combover...
Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJim View Post
My 85yo dad was VERY bald before I was born (he was 26 when I arrived) and always kept the sides short, but he was an AF pilot and then a National Guard pilot, so he had to keep it short. His main job was chemistry teacher. The physics teacher that he shared an office was also very bald, but let the sides grow a bit, never a combover (he was also older than dad). My grandfather was also very bald and never did the combover...
The only people I ever knew or see now with a comb-over, were/are pretty clueless and would probably have one no matter what timeframe/era they lived in.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xD
I was going bald by about 30; and by 40 I just gave up and shaved it all off. I shave every day to every other day now depending on how I feel and if I need to look "good" or not; takes me less than 10 minutes shaving it in the shower...

Going full bald is completely liberating; just remember to find a good non-greasy sunblock...
Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche
recommendations: start ******** early on, also do PRP treatments. This helped me as I started early (late 20's) and still have a good hair line.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search