Total Eclipse 2017 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Total Eclipse 2017

Are you planning on going somewhere to see the eclipse? Are you lucky enough to be on the route of totality?

We're actually planning on driving north 145 miles to Torrington, Wyoming - although we could go to Wheatland as the town of Wheatland is a customer of ours.

Links:

What happens if you watch the eclipse without eye protection?

How to watch the eclipse without burning your eyes out

WikiHow: How to view an Eclipse.

NASA Eclipse 2017 site

How to make a pinhole eclipse projector

Amazon: Eclipse Glasses

Last edited by wyb; 07-19-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 09:03 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
I plan to be at the epic center, or nearby, depending on traffic. Hopkinsville has rebranded itself "Eclipseville" since this town in the southwestern corner of Kentucky has one of the longest viewing times of the eclipse in the United States. Look for plenty of small town charm and a host of events in the days leading up to the eclipse in Hopkinsville.

Better book your hotel if that is part of your plan. I saw a lot of no vacancy. And, I was told to expect traffic. Estimate shows over 200 million people have access to the full eclipse within one day drive.

If you miss it, the next total solar eclipse over North America visits Mexico, the United States, and Canada on April 8, 2024.

For the photographer enthusiast, you really don't need a 400-600 mm lens, since you are only photographing the eclipse, nothing in details, so a 400-600 mm would be a hassle to take along. Yes, the eclipse will look small, but if you got a 24 mp camera, you can enlarge the photo. So, I am taking a 24-85 mm lens. To reduce the brightness I am putting 2-3 sheets of window tint in front of the lens rather than to buy an expensive high f stop ND filter. Again you are shooting the eclipse not some landscape scene. You want to show the moon's path across the sun. You are not looking for Venus or Mercury.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-14-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
I plan to be at the epic center, or nearby, depending on traffic. Hopkinsville has rebranded itself "Eclipseville" since this town in the southwestern corner of Kentucky has one of the longest viewing times of the eclipse in the United States. Look for plenty of small town charm and a host of events in the days leading up to the eclipse in Hopkinsville.

Better book your hotel if that is part of your plan. I saw a lot of no vacancy. And, I was told to expect traffic. Estimate shows over 200 million people have access to the full eclipse within one day drive.

If you miss it, the next total solar eclipse over North America visits Mexico, the United States, and Canada on April 8, 2024.

For the photographer enthusiast, you really don't need a 400-600 mm lens, since you are only photographing the eclipse, nothing in details, so a 400-600 mm would be a hassle to take along. Yes, the eclipse will look small, but if you got a 24 mp camera, you can enlarge the photo. So, I am taking a 24-85 mm lens. To reduce the brightness I am putting 2-3 sheets of window tint in front of the lens rather than to buy an expensive high f stop ND filter. Again you are shooting the eclipse not some landscape scene. You want to show the moon's path across the sun. You are not looking for Venus or Mercury.
Great photography tips - I'll dust of my digital SLR I guess and see if I can get some window tint!

I was going to drive to Casper, which is there much of websites mention for Wyoming, but I'm thinking that Wheatland or Torrington will be almost as close to the center of totality, about an hour less drive and much quieter in terms of people headed there.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Great photography tips - I'll dust of my digital SLR I guess and see if I can get some window tint!

I was going to drive to Casper, which is there much of websites mention for Wyoming, but I'm thinking that Wheatland or Torrington will be almost as close to the center of totality, about an hour less drive and much quieter in terms of people headed there.
I went to a tint shop and asked for discard. The friendly guy gave me the best stuff but, warned me that he is not responsible if I am blinded from using the tint. Of course if you are using it for viewing, start off with 5 layers and work down from there. Google for previous year's weather for Aug 21. The eclipse may start out in Oregon. Guess what, they may just see rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_cloud_USA.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	619153  

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-14-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
^ Check out aluminized mylar. Supposed to be safe. Don't trust me, research it. The path of totality went through WA state in '79 when I was living in Seattle. Olympia, where my parents lived, was on the edge - would have about 45 seconds of totality. My dad and I drove about 60 miles south, would yield a couple of minutes. It was a crapshoot as it was mostly overcast, with patches of clearing. We pulled off on a side road, near a farm, and after it got dark we could see dogs doing a mild freak out. It slowly darkened, sort of like just after sunset then suddenly it went to 3 AM level darkness, as if with a switch. Pretty wild. We had cloud cover but it was still dramatic. Roosters started crowing.

Then after couple of minutes, up came the lights, again as if with a switch. I gave a couple of the glasses I made (crude cardboard frame, 4 layers of the mylar) to my mother who went outside with a couple of coworkers to watch it. Olympia enjoyed a total break in clouds for the event. Just my luck. She saw the whole thing. Her boss at the stock brokerage firm wasn't interested in even going outside (?!). Never did like that guy, just a cold fish.

Later while driving home, the sun peeked out and I used the glasses to see the partial eclipse. Very small consolation, the sun may as well have been 99% brightness.

Last edited by cmac2012; 07-14-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Uniquely desultory

Quote:
The eclipse may start out in Oregon. Guess what, they may just see rain.
My mother lives near Cottage Grove, OR, just south of the path of totality. I might try to do it again.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:07 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
^ Check out aluminized mylar. Supposed to be safe. Don't trust me, research it.
aluminized mylar (emergency blanket). I use that for the windshield to reflect the sun, secured it outside, not inside the windshield. I found that once there is a tear, there is no stopping since it is not rip-stopped. I put tape around the edges to prevent tearing. Back to solar eclipse. I use window tint, cut to size. With 3 layers, it is almost pitch dark. I will test it against the sun on the clear day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2AH_0430.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	619513  

Old 07-14-2017, 05:45 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Sounds scary. The Gods are angry.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post

Not at everyone.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Uniquely desultory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
See: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Conn...thur%27s_Court
Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
The more I read about all the hoopla, the more I think people are just plain stupid, unless they want to gather around zillion of other people at all the advertised little towns trying to make a few bucks from all the tourists. I have updated my viewing location from Hopkinsville, KY to somewhere remotely in timbuktu given the fact that the umbra covers a 70 mile width across most of the USA.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
My brother is tagging along with his wife, a Nasa employee nerd, to Charleston SC, from NYC(765 miles). The are driving, just to see the eclipse.

She's nuts btw!

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
PCD - October 18, 2016

2010 328i M-Sport Coupe
TitanSilber|Jade|Manual|Premium|Sat|Auto high-beams|iPod|Heated Seats
Euro Delivery - October 20, 2009
PCD - December 16, 2009

Last edited by cruise_bone; 07-19-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Are you planning on going somewhere to see the eclipse? Are you lucky enough to be on the route of totality?

We're actually planning on driving north 145 miles to Torrington, Wyoming - although we could go to Wheatland as the town of Wheatland is a customer of ours.
I'm planning driving about 250 miles south-west for viewing. I put in for a vacation day a long time ago.

The last solar eclipse I viewed was a partial in the early 1990's. I did a quick pin-hole projector onto a car's hood.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM

My eclipse glasses arrived with a booklet of some kind - I haven't opened them, but they didn't cost me anything as I had $10 in amazon credit from buying something on prime-day...
Old 07-20-2017, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
I'm planning to stay in my backyard in Lake Saint Louis

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
August 21st, the greatest eclipse of the sun is located at 36.9664N 87.6709W near Cerulean, KY For those who don't want to travel that far to see the total eclipse, the next total eclipse of the sun over Houston is April 8, 2024.

finding our solar system interesting. The moon orbits the earth, and the earth orbits the sun, therefore, the moon orbits the sun as well. On top of that, the Sun orbits around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. We are moving at an average velocity of 828,000 km/hr. But even at that high rate, it still takes us about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the Milky Way! The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy..The Sun (and, of course, the rest of our solar system) is located near the Orion arm, between two major arms (Perseus and Sagittarius). The diameter of the Milky Way is about 100,000 light-years and the Sun is located about 28,000 light-years from the Galactic Center. I think I got lost after the first light year.

Took a picture of the moon (97.6% full) last night just in case the full moon is covered by clouds in Houston Monday night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2AH_0713 Aug 2017 97.6%.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	637169   Click image for larger version

Name:	milkyway_arms.gif
Views:	44
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	637185  

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-06-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 35i- Estoril Blue
Quote:
August 21st, the greatest eclipse of the sun is located at 36.9664N 87.6709W near Cerulean, KY For those who don't want to travel that far to see the total eclipse, the next total eclipse of the sun over Houston is April 8, 2024.

finding our solar system interesting. The moon orbits the earth, and the earth orbits the sun, therefore, the moon orbits the sun as well. On top of that, the Sun orbits around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. We are moving at an average velocity of 828,000 km/hr. But even at that high rate, it still takes us about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the Milky Way! The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy..The Sun (and, of course, the rest of our solar system) is located near the Orion arm, between two major arms (Perseus and Sagittarius). The diameter of the Milky Way is about 100,000 light-years and the Sun is located about 28,000 light-years from the Galactic Center. I think I got lost after the first light year.

Took a picture of the moon (97.6% full) last night just in case the full moon is covered by clouds in Houston Monday night.
How fast is the Milky Way traveling relative to other galaxies?

ED July 2016 - Redelivered September 2016
35i Estoril Blue / Beige Kansas Leather, M Sport, Premium Sound
CWP, Technology Package, PDC
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
You didn't read my last sentence. I got lost after the first light year. All I know is all the farts we released is behind us now.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 AM

My son and I are going to Kansas City for a few days to see the event. Hoping for clear skies. Witnessing a total solar eclipse has always been on my bucket list. In addition to this being a rarity on earth, consider how rare it is in the galaxy. A planet with intelligent life who can appreciate it, with a large moon the correct distance from its star to cover the star, but leave the corona visible. Cosmic, man.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
Well, our galaxy and Andromeda are approaching each other at about 402,000 kilometers per hour. We will collide in about four billion years. Other galaxies are far enough way that due to expansion of the universe they are not in the observable universe so are effectively traveling at faster than the speed of light relative to us. Closer galaxies are moving much more slowly of course. And relative to the cosmic background radiation, our galaxy is moving at about 2,100,000 kilometers per hour. We're moving in the direction of the portion of the sky where Leo and Virgo are, towards a hypothetical thing (spot? region? object? whatever) nicknamed the Great Attractor.

Anyway, I know somebody with a house in Casper WY so will be up there for the totality. I'm not looking forward to the traffic though.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
All I know is all the farts we released is behind us now.
Unfortunately, every breath you take likely has multiple molecules that spent some amount of time in somebody's digestive tract. And possibly even a molecule that spent time in Ceasar's lungs.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Unfortunately, every breath you take likely has multiple molecules that spent some amount of time in somebody's digestive tract. And possibly even a molecule that spent time in Ceasar's lungs.
And it seems logical that we drank the same water over and over again.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2017 Subaru STi
For the resident nerds:

Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
For the resident nerds:

What is sad is that science geeks like me know the whole five plus year Eddington / Campbell / Freundlich race to confirm / disprove Einstein's theory.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I saw a total eclipse in 1970. I flew my Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia. Well, not really. I walked out my front door in Norfolk, Virginia when I was 11 years old.

I have two friends who are making the trip north to catch it. If I hadn't seen one before, I might have gone, since I'm retired and have a lot of time on my hands these days.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search