Best practice not to let your car warm up in the morning... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:28 AM
German Engineering Junkie

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi
Best practice not to let your car warm up in the morning...

...but it's cold AF out.

With wind chill making it feel like 0 degrees out, I'll make the exception of warming up the car and making it feel nice and toasty on days like this rather than driving off after a minute of warming up and keeping it under 2k.

Cold in your neck of the woods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
I use my remote starter entensively with no shame. -21 deg C this morning.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
We rarely have this issue in Houston, TX.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
It only got down to 30F where I live last night. I live 300 feet from a U.S. highway. But, I go out the back of our 'hood at 15 MPH for about a 1/2 mile, and drive up my town's main street at 35 MPH for about one mile before getting on the highway. My oil gets up to maybe 160F by then. Frau Putzer, on the other hand, heads straight for the highway and goes 100% throttle. But, that's still way down the long "How Frau Putzer Abuses Cars" list.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 740iL
It's 17 here. Cold enough. Tonight it would go down to a single digit.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Screamin demon

Mein Auto: 1995 325ic
No remote starter. I wouldn't dream of going outside to not get in the car and drive away as swiftly as possible. Ain't no one got time for that! Lol
Old 01-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
... and block heater connected for tomorrow... felt temprature announced: -32 deg C (-26 F).
Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
I use this technique that it appears only 10% of the population of the city of Charlotte has heard of. I open the door to my 2-car garage, I pull both my vehicles into it, then I close the door. Once I leave the house I just take it easy for the first 5 minutes. Even the people in the giant country club homes with 3 garages have not learned this trick yet. I wonder what they keep in there?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
I use this technique that it appears only 10% of the population of the city of Charlotte has heard of. I open the door to my 2-car garage, I pull both my vehicles into it, then I close the door. Once I leave the house I just take it easy for the first 5 minutes. Even the people in the giant country club homes with 3 garages have not learned this trick yet. I wonder what they keep in there?
Where I live, it's hard to find a lot to build a custom house. There is a big spec' home development near me that is in the perfect location. They announced that the new phase will have three-car garages. So, I went down there and looked at the model with my LASER tape measure... Their alleged three-car garages were 27 feet wide inside, with a 16 foot wide door, an eight foot wide door, and one foot between the doors and between the doors and the side wall. Three car? Yeah, maybe three of these...

We gave up staying here. I bought a lot in Tennessee where I'll have a real three-holer, 35 feet wide, 26 feet deep, plus a lift for a fourth car, plus a 100 square foot storage room off the garage, plus another 100 square foot storage room opening to the outside (for lawnmower, BBQ grill, bicycles, ladders, etc.). The garage will have nothing except cars, two trash cans, a sink, and a workbench... more of an "automobile gallery," than a mere garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57_BMW_Isetta_moto_DV-10-GG_01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	586475  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-09-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I bought a lot in Tennessee
That Isetta will be a big hit in Big Orange country!
Old 01-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Where I live, it's hard to find a lot to build a custom house. There is a big spec' home development near me that is in the perfect location. They announced that the new phase will have three-car garages. So, I went down there and looked at the model with my LASER tape measure... Their alleged three-car garages were 27 feet wide inside, with a 16 foot wide door, an eight foot wide door, and one foot between the doors and between the doors and the side wall. Three car? Yeah, maybe three of these...

We gave up staying here. I bought a lot in Tennessee where I'll have a real three-holer, 35 feet wide, 26 feet deep, plus a lift for a fourth car, plus a 100 square foot storage room off the garage, plus another 100 square foot storage room opening to the outside (for lawnmower, BBQ grill, bicycles, ladders, etc.). The garage will have nothing except cars, two trash cans, a sink, and a workbench... more of an "automobile gallery," than a mere garage.
I live in one of those developments.
I live in one of the houses with the "small" garages without the extra 4' on either side.
The one you "could never park 2 cars in"
The one nobody uses for vehicle parking for these reasons.

I have a Toyota Sienna, a VW Golf, a motorcycle, 2 bicycles, 2 kids bicycles, a workbench and 2 industrial shelving racks in mine. It's tight but it works. If there's a will, there's a way.

I loved driving to work this morning past all the driveways where cars were idling with iced over windows.

Last edited by Coconutpete; 01-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I live in one of the houses with the "small" garages without the extra 4' on either side.

I have a Toyota Sienna, a VW Golf, a motorcycle, 2 bicycles, 2 kids bicycles, a workbench and 2 industrial shelving racks in mine. It's tight but it works. If there's a will, there's a way.

I loved driving to work this morning past all the driveways where cars were idling with iced over windows.
Our current garage is 20' wide and 22' deep on one side, 20' deep on the other due to the AC air handler. I must have all my vehicles inside. Until I got mixed up with an HOA, all my fights with neighbors have been over my cars being ****ed with in the driveway,, street, or parking lot. I currently rotate the 535i and my ten year old Cobalt to storage in a $123/month rental unit.

I back in. Frau Putzer drives in forward. You can see an orange whiffle golf ball hanging for her to aim at. It touches the windshield right above a plug in the center of her dash right under the center of the windshield. I put pieces of orange tape on the wall and AC unit to aim at through my mirror when I back in. We have just enough room to get to the driver's doors and trunk on each car. When we go somewhere together, she gets in and out in the driveway. (I don't like riding if she's driving.)

There's a development near us that requires two doors. But, that moves the cars closer to the side walls, and makes getting in and out of the driver's door even harder. I wouldn't have settled for this garage, but we had to buy a house relatively quickly or sign up for renting another year. We were planning to build here, but the development we had a lot end went south after the meltdown.

Our new lot is inland and on a hillside, meaning we'll also have a basement for all our crap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	autoputzer's one point seven five car garage.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	586521  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
That Isetta will be a big hit in Big Orange country!
I heard that there's a college up there. They say Knoxville is packed for home games.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
When I was in Nome Alaska, I couldn't turn my truck off at night, had to keep it running all day long, otherwise nothing would freeze up. It was so cold there. After one winter there, I had enough, called it quit..
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
Quote:

I lived in a townhouse with a 2-car garage that was actually 22' wide. I fit, at the same time, an E30, an E46, a '68 Camaro (on rollers to push it sideways), a motorcycle, a bicycle, a work bench, two rolling tool chests, an upright air compressor, and a 4x8 folding trailer. Before the E30, I had an S-10 pickup in there too.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 330i
I live in the suburbs of Toronto. I have a two car garage where I can fit both vehicles into the garage. Some of my neighbours have $100K or more of cars in their driveway and nothing of any value in their garages.

The remote starter on my Jeep GC has been disabled, via a piece of tape over the contact on the remote. My BMW does not have a remote start.

When at my cottage in the winter time, I don't have a garage and have to brush snow and scrape windows. Not fun. However, I still don't start and idle my car to warm it up. Idling is not good for cars, nor the environment, not even effective to warm up the car. I just start it and go slowly for a while.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Our current garage is 20' wide and 22' deep on one side, 20' deep on the other due to the AC air handler. I must have all my vehicles inside. Until I got mixed up with an HOA, all my fights with neighbors have been over my cars being ****ed with in the driveway,, street, or parking lot. I currently rotate the 535i and my ten year old Cobalt to storage in a $123/month rental unit.

I back in. Frau Putzer drives in forward. You can see an orange whiffle golf ball hanging for her to aim at. It touches the windshield right above a plug in the center of her dash right under the center of the windshield. I put pieces of orange tape on the wall and AC unit to aim at through my mirror when I back in. We have just enough room to get to the driver's doors and trunk on each car. When we go somewhere together, she gets in and out in the driveway. (I don't like riding if she's driving.)

There's a development near us that requires two doors. But, that moves the cars closer to the side walls, and makes getting in and out of the driver's door even harder. I wouldn't have settled for this garage, but we had to buy a house relatively quickly or sign up for renting another year. We were planning to build here, but the development we had a lot end went south after the meltdown.

Our new lot is inland and on a hillside, meaning we'll also have a basement for all our crap.
The two of you need to swap spots. That way both of you can park as close as possible to the wall side and exit in the center, giving each of you more room.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:49 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
my 1'er gets toasty in a couple of mins

but I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
...but it's cold AF out.

With wind chill making it feel like 0 degrees out, I'll make the exception of warming up the car and making it feel nice and toasty on days like this rather than driving off after a minute of warming up and keeping it under 2k.

Cold in your neck of the woods?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
The two of you need to swap spots. That way both of you can park as close as possible to the wall side and exit in the center, giving each of you more room.
I agree. Have you tried nosing both cars in?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Quote:
I agree. Have you tried nosing both cars in?
That crack in the driveway is the centerline of the 16-foot wide driveway, 16-foot wide door, and the 20- foot wide garage. You can see how close the 535i is to the center of the garage. When the two big cars (Accord and 535i) are in the garage there's less than two feet between them, not enough room to get in and out without dinging the door of the other car. So, the only way this works is one in forward, one in backward, utilizing the two feet between the edge of the garage door and each of the side walls to get in and out of the driver's doors. Notice that the areas beside the driver's door positions are clear of junk on each side. The rest of the garage's perimeter is full of essential crap.

When each car is centered on its half of the 16 foot wide garage door, the driver's side view mirrors on the big cars clear the garage door by only about eight to ten inches. My current method puts the driver right at the edge of the garage door opening so we can closely watch and adjust this clearance. Also, Frau Putzer is too scatterbrained to back in without hitting something.

The worst case scenario is a Chevy Suburban and an M6 in the same garage. I've measured the "wingspans" (left open door edge to right open door edge) and widths of both of these vehicles. Based on these measurements, I've concluded that a proper garage has nine-foot wide doors, 1.5 feet apart, and with 2.5 feet between the garage doors and the inside of the side walls of the garage. So, a two-car garage should be a minimum of 24.5 feet wide inside. A three-car garage should be a minimum 35 feet wide inside.

That 35-foot width is what I'm going with in the new house, with all that crap seen in my current garage being in storage rooms or closets in the garage, out if sight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	autoputzer's one point seven five car garage.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	586565  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

OK - I see what you did. I took a different approach. I have a 2 pool noodles on top of each other mounted on the wall with an old piece of seatbelt from an expired child seat. It takes the pressure off the exiting driver to stop the door before the wall. Hitting the noodle is harmless. My mother in law has tested it.

I agree that it's annoying how small these 2 car garages are, but it still beats warming up the car outside. I just start and go-slo for the first 5 minutes. I'd much rather do that vs. sitting outside in the ice.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 2001 996 Turbo
High today of 59F here, but the wife is on a plane to Philly. She packed a warm jacket. Hope she's ok, freezing out there!

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
"A world that is 'idiot proof' is a world that is only fit for idiots." - Racer X / 6'er
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
OK - I see what you did. I took a different approach. I have a 2 pool noodles on top of each other mounted on the wall with an old piece of seatbelt from an expired child seat. It takes the pressure off the exiting driver to stop the door before the wall. Hitting the noodle is harmless. My mother in law has tested it.

I agree that it's annoying how small these 2 car garages are, but it still beats warming up the car outside. I just start and go-slo for the first 5 minutes. I'd much rather do that vs. sitting outside in the ice.
I do the pool noodle thing in my 10' x 20' storage garage. I back into it hugging the passenger side. By backing in I can watch the clearance on the passenger side with my right side view mirror, and it leave me room to get in and out of the car.

Here's my garage full. There about 20 inches between the cars, not counting the mirrors. Kids, fat people, and old people pose the highest threat of door dings in cramped spaces.

Frau Putzer has a lot of room between her car's trunk and the garage door. That's because that space was previously occupied by my old pick-up truck with an eight-foot bed and a regular cab. The shelves were placed to leave me space to get to the drivers door of the truck.

Garage doors in Floriduh have "hurricane braces" on them, metal ribs to stiffen up the door under wind loading. I put a piece of pool noodle on the brace that's bumper height (orange, upper right in the picture), just in case the car rolls into the door.

Looking at all that crap every time I come in and out of the house is annoying. That's why I'm building all those storage rooms and garage closets in the new house. My grandparents had a mostly clutter-free garage, and if felt good entering the house by driving into the garage. You do need a table in the garage, though. In the new house, that's going to be a workbench against the back wall.

With an extra 2.5 feet between the cars, and an extra foot of clutter-free space between the cars and the new garage's side walls, I'll be able to sit on my mechanics stool, check, and adjust tire pressures while the cars are still in the garage... one of life's simple pleasures. Right now, I have to pull a car out of the garage to check the tire pressure.

That 2.5 feet between the doors and garage side walls is enough to stick a 96 gallon roll-away trash can in the corner by the garage door. Our new 'hood will have two roll-away contains: one for trash, one for recyclables.

I'm currently designing the new house. I started with the garage and I'm designing the rest of the house around it. The new lot is a trapezoid: 100' wide at the street, 183' deep, and 187' wide at the back. So, the three-holer can be in the back, side loading with a 40' deep turn-in area, and totally out of sight from the street. I'll still have a 60' wide backyard behind the garage. I'll have to shave off about seven feet of the hill and put in a retaining wall. By doing this, though, my driveway will be almost flat coming from the street, a rare thing in that area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	autoputzer's one point seven five car garage full.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	586581   Click image for larger version

Name:	autoputzer's lot with garage & driveway location.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	586583  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-10-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 2001 996 Turbo
If I were designing a house, I'd make the parking spots extra-wide. I hate the claustrophobic feeling when I have to worry about my own cars door-dinging each other.

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
"A world that is 'idiot proof' is a world that is only fit for idiots." - Racer X / 6'er
Old 01-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
I do the pool noodle thing in my 10' x 20' storage garage. I back into it hugging the passenger side. By backing in I can watch the clearance on the passenger side with my right side view mirror, and it leave me room to get in and out of the car.

Here's my garage full. There about 20 inches between the cars, not counting the mirrors. Kids, fat people, and old people pose the highest threat of door dings in cramped spaces.

Frau Putzer has a lot of room between her car's trunk and the garage door. That's because that space was previously occupied by my old pick-up truck with an eight-foot bed and a regular cab. The shelves were placed to leave me space to get to the drivers door of the truck.

Garage doors in Floriduh have "hurricane braces" on them, metal ribs to stiffen up the door under wind loading. I put a piece of pool noodle on the brace that's bumper height (orange, upper right in the picture), just in case the car rolls into the door.

Looking at all that crap every time I come in and out of the house is annoying. That's why I'm building all those storage rooms and garage closets in the new house. My grandparents had a mostly clutter-free garage, and if felt good entering the house by driving into the garage. You do need a table in the garage, though. In the new house, that's going to be a workbench against the back wall.

With an extra 2.5 feet between the cars, and an extra foot of clutter-free space between the cars and the new garage's side walls, I'll be able to sit on my mechanics stool, check, and adjust tire pressures while the cars are still in the garage... one of life's simple pleasures. Right now, I have to pull a car out of the garage to check the tire pressure.

That 2.5 feet between the doors and garage side walls is enough to stick a 96 gallon roll-away trash can in the corner by the garage door. Our new 'hood will have two roll-away contains: one for trash, one for recyclables.

I'm currently designing the new house. I started with the garage and I'm designing the rest of the house around it. The new lot is a trapezoid: 100' wide at the street, 183' deep, and 187' wide at the back. So, the three-holer can be in the back, side loading with a 40' deep turn-in area, and totally out of sight from the street. I'll still have a 60' wide backyard behind the garage. I'll have to shave off about seven feet of the hill and put in a retaining wall. By doing this, though, my driveway will be almost flat coming from the street, a rare thing in that area.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search