Upgrade advice - how to beat a 330i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Upgrade advice - how to beat a 330i

So here's my predicament I'm a senior I'm highschool I don't make a whole lot of money but My dad helps me out every once in a while I bought a 2000 328ci it has dual exhaust and a short ram air intake and 19" m3 rims and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades I could do to be able to beat my friends 2001 330i he has a dinan intake and exhaust but no tune I'm just really getting sick of these smug ass kids at my school ripping on my cars I had a 2007 Charger sxt that I sold cuz it got so much criticism for being a v6 and now I have this beamer and I just want to be able to beat my friends 330i I was already debating on the 330i intake manifold and eBay headers any other mods for under $250 that could help

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Rapidsbeamer; 03-28-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Fast
Do yourself a favor, seriously, just forget it. Spend the $250 on cosmetics, detail the hell out of it & make it look better. There's not much you can do to the cars in the first place HP, especially on a budget (no offense).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i MSport
Why do you fight about cars if you guys are friends? And its just a car, you are fortunate that you have one and its a bimmer. There are more to high school than just nice cars.
2004 BMW 330i ZSP/ZPP
2008 Hummer H3
2005 Honda Civic VTi
1997 Honda Civic ESi
1996 Nissan Sentra SS EXi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Having a fast car is important to me because when my dad was in highschool he had a 69 road runner that was insanely built and kicked the crap out of every car he raced and I just want them to respect my car and detailing and cleaning wouldn't really work northern Minnesota has terrible roads plus I live on a dirt road

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 AM

I was throwing around the idea of a turbo kit on it because I have a vw Passat 1.8t and I figured I could scavange a lot of parts off that and fab up a manifold of buy one for my car but someone told me it'd be like 10k to do that witch sounds a little ridiculous to me

Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
there's always someone richer, bigger, stronger, and faster. since you already show a propensity to sell cars because your feelings got hurt, why don't you just sell your 328 and buy something faster than the 330i? Geez, beat your friend's 330i how exactly? over crappy Grand Rapids roads from stop light to stop light? on the track? standing still? IT doesn't matter what you do to your 2000 328ci, because if your friend with the 2001 330i is as much of a snow flake as you, he'll simply match mod for mod and still beat your buttocks. Unless you are going to slap some turbo chargers, outfit with nitrous, or swap out your engine, you ain't gonna beat your friend. The numbers just don't add up. Sell your bimmer and buy a $500 honda civic and laugh at your friends for spending so much money on stupid things for stupid reasons.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Imtjm....we too were once kids. I understand a bit what RB is saying. Its fun to have a fast car. All the guys get wood & the chicks get wet, its HS. But making a 328 "fast" is not gonna happen on a budget in HS. Remeber though, these kids were brought up on the absurdity of FAST & THE FURIOUS...oi vey! Sell the bimmer & buy a mustang, trans am, camaro, or some little rice rocket if you want cheap fun. Bimmers are fun, just not cheap fun. I'm far from a snob, I don't just love one particular car brand. I just love the experience, the balance of power & handling bimmers offer. Even their SUVs are fun as hell to drive. As previously stated, there's always someone with more money & time to make their ride faster, better, etc. The trick is being happy with what you have.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
The only thing I can think of is swapping your diff for the one from the 328 auto. That should give you a fair bit more punch. Also drop as much weight as you can, that will make more of a difference than you'd expect.

A turbo will run 10K, this has been talked about so many times. It isn't the hardware that is complicated (well, it still sort of is), but it is the tuning.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Reminds me of my high school. Two kids sent each to the hospital after they kicked the living crap out of each other fighting over whether the one's Daddy's Corvette was faster than the other's Porsche 944 they had both driven to school that day. Total fight club scene.
I wonder what happened to those two and what they're making payments on today. Probably a Sienna, or a Grand Voyager - it is Detroit area after all.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidsbeamer View Post
So here's my predicament I'm a senior I'm highschool I don't make a whole lot of money but My dad helps me out every once in a while I bought a 2000 328ci it has dual exhaust and a short ram air intake and 19" m3 rims and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades I could do to be able to beat my friends 2001 330i he has a dinan intake and exhaust but no tune I'm just really getting sick of these smug ass kids at my school ripping on my cars I had a 2007 Charger sxt that I sold cuz it got so much criticism for being a v6 and now I have this beamer and I just want to be able to beat my friends 330i I was already debating on the 330i intake manifold and eBay headers any other mods for under $250 that could help
1.) Lose the 19" wheels

2.) Stop giving a sh!t what others think

Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Reminds me of my high school. Two kids sent each to the hospital after they kicked the living crap out of each other fighting over whether the one's Daddy's Corvette was faster than the other's Porsche 944 they had both driven to school that day. Total fight club scene.
I wonder what happened to those two and what they're making payments on today. Probably a Sienna, or a Grand Voyager - it is Detroit area after all.
You know you get a lot for your money with either of those vans

Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folgen Sie Mir View Post
Imtjm....we too were once kids. I understand a bit what RB is saying. Its fun to have a fast car. All the guys get wood & the chicks get wet, its HS. But making a 328 "fast" is not gonna happen on a budget in HS. Remeber though, these kids were brought up on the absurdity of FAST & THE FURIOUS...oi vey! Sell the bimmer & buy a mustang, trans am, camaro, or some little rice rocket if you want cheap fun. Bimmers are fun, just not cheap fun. I'm far from a snob, I don't just love one particular car brand. I just love the experience, the balance of power & handling bimmers offer. Even their SUVs are fun as hell to drive. As previously stated, there's always someone with more money & time to make their ride faster, better, etc. The trick is being happy with what you have.
well considering all the guys with the chicks drove slow arse, rusted out vw bugs and the like in my suburban Minnesota town, fast cars weren't important. I agree, 328 fast on a budget ain't gonna happen, even to beat his friend's 330i. He would be better off getting some nails and putting them under his friend's tires. Much cheaper.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
well considering all the guys with the chicks drove slow arse, rusted out vw bugs and the like in my suburban Minnesota town, fast cars weren't important. I agree, 328 fast on a budget ain't gonna happen, even to beat his friend's 330i. He would be better off getting some nails and putting them under his friend's tires. Much cheaper.
Lmmfao! Yusss!

Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The following statement gets a lot of airplay around here:

"LEARN TO LOVE WHAT YA GOT, OR SELL IT AND BUY A FASTER CAR"

(And that`s the truth !)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folgen Sie Mir View Post
Do yourself a favor, seriously, just forget it. Spend the $250 on cosmetics, detail the hell out of it & make it look better. There's not much you can do to the cars in the first place HP, especially on a budget (no offense).

It's a pain, but this is good advice. Enjoy yourself, that's the best revenge.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Or do what it takes to make yourself more interesting to girls (hint - girls aren't impressed by kids driving dangerously), land a cool girlfriend, and cruise around real slow so everyone can see her with you. Seriously, stop giving a sh*t about what others think about you and start doing things that make you happy.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
This is not about doing the right thing, it's about achieving respect from among his high school peers right now while there is still time, after this moment in his life is past he won't get another chance to re-live it. I would suggest if the 328i is still not fast enough after removing weight and changing rear axle ratios you will have to face reality and change cars. Throwing money at your BMW for more speed will be too expensive on a budget and very inefficient in the long run and there will be lots of downtime whenever you have your engine apart.

With your current goal being a top priority I would sell the 328i and look for something with a big block Chevy in it. I believe to earn the honor at stake here about all you have to do is simply have the fastest street car which really comes down to lots of horsepower on tap. The big block Chevy will deliver the most power for the lowest cost which for this contest would be the most cost effective way to go.

Also, in honor of your dad you might consider looking for a 68-70 Plymouth Road Runner. A 383 will not be as fast as the 427 or 454 Chevy but some Road Runners had 440's which will get close
Old 03-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Oops, I forgot to mention, the Op will not have to actually race anyone. If it just looks and sounds like his car has several hundred more horsepower he automatically wins and no race is even necessary. This does not guarantee he gets the girl but he should easily win the parking lot "bench racing" debate.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidsbeamer View Post

Ok! First off it's a Bimmer! Next buy a 330 ZHP.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM
bmw addict

Mein Auto: e46 m3
You bought the wrong car. If you want to mod on a budget german cars are not the best choice. Trade it for V8 Mustang that's in your budget.

current rides:
09 ZR1
15 X5 50i
03 350z
13 E88 135i
15 RR sport
03 rc51
08 F450 Dually
17 ram 2500
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 PM

Upgrade advice - how to beat a 330i

I have a 97 talon tsi awd that is supposed to make 450-500 but I'm in the middle of a complete engine rebuild on it I was just hoping that the 330i intake and intake cam some headers and like maybe a bigger throttle body if that exist would give me the edge over him cuz I'm going to be racing him I've drag raced before and I worked as a mechanic at a racing shop in Grand Rapids I know I'm a better driver than him I just wanted that edge

Last edited by Rapidsbeamer; 03-28-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: Merq
Relevant:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 AM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
I think the $250 would be better spent on therapy to overcome living in your dad's shadow.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Here is my advice. Sell it and get yourself an Evo viii, STi or Eclipse GSX. I'm pretty sure your friends will laugh at first, until they start seeing your tail lights. Meanwhile, save money so in a future you can get an M2, M3, M4 or whatever you like. Remember, they can laugh at you now but there is always a "tomorrow".

Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
people will actually consider you an asshole for owning a bmw, especially when you're young and stupid. Don't expect respect for getting a fast car, there are other ways to gain that. A $250 mod will not get you anywhere....

More than a year ago, I bought a 2004 ford mustang convertible from a kid (senior high) with a damaged fender and bumper in addition to a squealing steering pump. The car was maintained really well except for that fender bender, the moment I got it I have to get rid of the stupid k&n air intake, the dented fender and bumper cover and fixed the oil leaks. The kid still hasn't learned his lesson because he'll use the money to buy a newer GT, can't blame the dad for giving the kid easy access to the hospital or funeral.

https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46/

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search