Statins - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Smile Statins

Just been thru three different ones all of which gave me cramps in my legs. Can't look after disabled Mrs with this pain ...on top of bad back, migraine and pita accoustic neuroma.

Now the quack reckons on a different type called Ezetimibe. Have you seen the side effects of these? Rare anaphylaxis.

So I'm about 13% likely to have heart attack or stroke in next 10 years if I do nothing.

So what do I do? BMI is under 25 and I'm just turning 66. BP normal and just moved house so just winding down on stress.

Ok...I read a few books on stats and probability theory. Is this all greater good stuff? You know, quacks think 10% is worth buggering say 6% of patients. Trouble is the 6 % may not be the same people as the 10%.

Yea, I know...do I feel lucky punk?

What is your take?

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 35i- Estoril Blue
I would listen to your doctor rather than a bunch of quacks on Bimmerfest.

ED July 2016 - Redelivered September 2016
35i Estoril Blue / Beige Kansas Leather, M Sport, Premium Sound
CWP, Technology Package, PDC
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Too right I do.

But he's warning me about side effects...some serious.

My daughter is a senior manager in a rather large drug testing firm. She tells me manufacterers advise all sorts of side effects so as to avoid litigation when eg someone's liver gets trashed.

I'm also aware that there has been some bad experiences over the years in USA with this medicine.

I'm wondering what experience you guys and gals have had with this medicine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: A car
I was on statins - the side-effects I had were dry-mouth, dry eyes and in the end, I quit them. My doc would have a fit, but to be honest, he hasn't been told and he's still sort of ok with my less than perfect cholesterol numbers.

fwiw - depends on the side effects you get. Living in Colorado (like really dry) - and having one very bad (like blind eye) - having my other eye dry + itchy all the time was unbearable to me. You might be ok with it in Swansea - it's not dry there is it boyo?
Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550iX
I've been on various statins for years with no ill effects and with many good ones, presumably, from cholesterol under control.

I'd recommend you see another doc or two if you question your current one. I did, but eventually stayed with my original doctor's recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2015 X35D M-sport: in lease heaven
2011 335d: sold
2008 535xi: in lease heaven
Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
... You might be ok with it in Swansea - it's not dry there is it boyo?

Straight off my side of the pond.

Anyone tried Ezetimibe?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Statins are a great money spinner, that probably won't kill you within 2 weeks. They weaken muscle tissue when taken at (profitable) prescribed doses. This includes the heart muscle. As such, statins actually cause heart failure.

Just because statins at low doses benefit a few types of patients, who have specific heart disease risks, and happens to lower cholesterol, does not mean that lowering cholesterol drastically for all people would provide a real benefit (other than massive financial gain for drug companies).

A little research will show that cholesterol is the building block for all your hormones. Artificially reducing cholesterol screws up your whole endocrine system, with a host of side effects.

Dig a little deeper, and you will find researchers that ate 8 eggs a day for a month rather than taking statins, resulting in a larger reduction of "bad" cholesterol than prescribed statins typically achieve.

When billions of dollars are at stake and you become a revenue stream, you also become a guinea-pig beta-tester. The more side-effects the better; because there is another drug for that...

Last edited by dynosor; 05-05-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
Aflak?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor View Post
Statins are a great money spinner, that probably won't kill you within 2 weeks. They weaken muscle tissue when taken at (profitable) prescribed doses. This includes the heart muscle. As such, statins actually cause heart failure.

Just because statins at low doses benefit a few types of patients, who have specific heart disease risks, and happens to lower cholesterol, does not mean that lowering cholesterol drastically for all people would provide a real benefit (other than massive financial gain for drug companies).

A little research will show that cholesterol is the building block for all your hormones. Artificially reducing cholesterol screws up your while endocrine system, with a host of side effects.

Dig a little deeper, and you will find researchers that ate 8 eggs a day for a month rather than taking statins, resulting in a larger reduction of "bad" cholesterol than prescribed statins typically achieve.

When billions of dollars are at stake and you become a revenue stream, you also become a guinea-pig beta-tester. The more side-effects the better; because there is another drug for that...
Brilliant...thanks.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
as a diabetic, looking at my pill box ; 3 tabs in the morning and 4 in the evening
this is an expensive hobby and everytime I have a DM checkup they want to add something else.
I dont care WHAT THEY SAY, all these pills have long term effects and interact and have side effects
I usually put my feet down and say, NO
They "generally now" don't try and peddle me drugs anymore
especially as cover in Canada sucks balls

I was planning on living to 100, I'll settle for 79, which apparently my life calculator predicted
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 AM
where da clutch at ?

you know about pineapple with some statins right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin128 View Post
Just been thru three different ones all of which gave me cramps in my legs. Can't look after disabled Mrs with this pain ...on top of bad back, migraine and pita accoustic neuroma.

Now the quack reckons on a different type called Ezetimibe. Have you seen the side effects of these? Rare anaphylaxis.

So I'm about 13% likely to have heart attack or stroke in next 10 years if I do nothing.

So what do I do? BMI is under 25 and I'm just turning 66. BP normal and just moved house so just winding down on stress.

Ok...I read a few books on stats and probability theory. Is this all greater good stuff? You know, quacks think 10% is worth buggering say 6% of patients. Trouble is the 6 % may not be the same people as the 10%.

Yea, I know...do I feel lucky punk?

What is your take?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 AM

Grapefruit is also to be avoided with some statins.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
as a diabetic, looking at my pill box ; 3 tabs in the morning and 4 in the evening
this is an expensive hobby and everytime I have a DM checkup they want to add something else.
I dont care WHAT THEY SAY, all these pills have long term effects and interact and have side effects
I usually put my feet down and say, NO
They "generally now" don't try and peddle me drugs anymore
especially as cover in Canada sucks balls

I was planning on living to 100, I'll settle for 79, which apparently my life calculator predicted
I'm gonna try a stricter Mediterranean diet.

Last edited by Robin128; 05-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
Kudos for recognizing diet...we went plant based after being diagnosed with high bp, cholesterol about 5 yrs ago and the dr's response was pills since we were very low BMI and active lifestyle - better half is continuously training for Ironman events. We figured there had to be an answer besides pills, so we tried it before accepting the pharmaceutical approach and after 11 weeks all indicators were in the "normal" range. The dr was flabbergasted and we became believers of diet is the culprit and savior of health. Fast forward to today and we slipped into eating poorly because plant based eating doesn't provide that full feeling and we felt deprived.

I don't know how much grain based foods you consume, but the Mediterranean Diet includes them and I would suggest looking into the resources below as I know they have changed our enjoyment of food and life for the better by following what we see as common sense based on the last two sentences and data supporting it.

Recently, thanks to my father, we read Wheat Belly which led us to search for documentaries on the topic of eliminating grains and we discovered and watched in the following order: "Food for Change", "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", and "Love Paleo". I would highly recommend watching them, the first is a great general overview of food and the food industry, second a very inspirational story of Joe Cross search for health using a juice fast, and the third is similar to the first but with a few more hippies, so keep that in mind, lol. We have now added in free pasture, grass fed animals and eliminated grains after following a 7-day juice fast (as per the second documtary) and feel fantastic. The changes over the week were nothing short of incredible and we slowly added in the Paleo foods...I used to eat some form of grain product (if not 2) with every meal and I actually don't miss them as we are full after every meal and there are no energy dips as with sugars. Before reading the book, I didn't believe grains could be the cause of so many bad health effects, but there are numerous studies showing increased carbs and decreased fat consumption are the prevailing trends in society and we are witnessing an explosion of obesity, diabetes and a host of other diseases all associated with inflammation. Here is an example from 2004, an examination of surveys from 1971-2000...and their freaking food recommendation was eat more whole grains (aka increase carb intake)?! It's a real eye opener when you start looking at the data and see the 100s and 100s of references in Wheat Belly. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm
Old 05-07-2017, 05:18 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
To the OP: What (exactly) are you attempting to treat? Are your lipids a little high, or very high? (Does your doctor appear shocked when he looks at your lipid profile?) Have you had DNA testing done?

I have familial hypercholesterolemia.

Men in my family died at a relatively early age prior to the introduction of statins. My dad survived attempts by Germans to kill him during two (2) world wars and also survived the Influenza Pandemic of 1918, (which actually killed more people than WW1), but his lipids are what finally did kill him.

I was taking a low dose of atorvastatin until I developed xanthelasmas, the “yellowish deposit of fat underneath the skin, usually on or around the eyelids” .

Not my photo but just like this:

Since then, I have been taking the maximum recommended atorvastatin dose, 80mg. The interesting result was that the xanthelasmas disappeared after a couple of years of treatment at this dose. This effect has only been reported in the literature a few times, but it was definitely an observable effect, and it seems reasonable to believe that the same result would occur in less visible but more important places.

My rheumatologist freaked at my atorvastatin dose because it is a dose typically used to treat individuals with symptomatic coronary disease (and I don’t). He must have seen more than a few patients with musculoskeletal complaints resulting from statin therapy.

I have no symptoms referable to statin therapy, even at this dose. (I do have bilateral rotator cuff tears which has nothing to do with statins.)

In a prior life I worked in drug safety for a pharmaceutical company. Yes, *everything* gets investigated and reported, no matter how silly.

It’s great if diet and lifestyle changes work for you, but in my case they wouldn’t.

I do 5K at the beach almost every day, weather permitting, and tried dietary interventions including the Mediterranean diet long before it became popular, all in the hope that I could get past my genes. I couldn't. Now I take medication and everything is nicely controlled.

That wouldn’t have been possible years ago. In 1945 the technology existed to build nuclear weapons, but not to control FDR's blood pressure, and he was possibly the most important person living on the planet at the time. He died at the age of 63, by today's standards that is a fairly young age.

In my particular case statins are a life saver. Your mileage may vary.

(Of course, never make any serious life decisions based on anything I say, write, or do, or what any posters on a BMW board write, even about BMWs!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300px-Xanthelasma_palpebrarum.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	596590   Click image for larger version

Name:	cartoon-cavemen.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	596591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 7.18.45 AM.png
Views:	286
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	596592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 7.53.58 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	596593  
2008 E91 32K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (with beach sand), $10 clutch stop mod, go-flat tires, plug kit and air pump.

Others include: 1998 Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 220K, original clutch.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 05-07-2017, 03:38 PM

I moved recently. Changed doctors. Previous doctor monitored my bloods at least annually. She reckoned no to statins and made me stop taking low dose aspirin.

Trigliserides slightly up on recent check. BMI below 25. Age 66. BP normal for my age. Got a small right accoustic neuroma...non relevant and benign. Very bad back...worn out disks. Chronic migraine.

Present doc says I could try diet if can't get on with statins. Not taken latest prescription due to possible side effects like anaphylaxis etc etc.

I think if I don't pig out, get some exercise and watch my diet I might survive 10 years without a stroke etc.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:45 PM
<- Bailey

Mein Auto: 2019 RDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post

Why don't ducks fly upside down?

Because they would quack up.

Retired - 535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, ED.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:45 AM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the internet. I say no to all drugs. Just look at the main side effect - DEATH! Everyone that takes prescription drugs eventually dies. That's enough for me to say no!

Currently, I'm doing research to see what level of blood transfusions are necessary to flush out the vaccines that were given to me against my consent when I was a child. So far, it hasn't gone well for the test subjects, but given that they all had take prescription drugs at some point in their lives, I'm not taking blame for the outcomes. Correlation is causation.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM

So come on...whose been taking Ezetimibe?

Side effects?...toes gone black? Kidney failure?

Lack of libido??

Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 AM
where da clutch at ?

Everyone dies eventually, after taking drugs or not.

Do you live off the grid too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Everyone that takes prescription drugs eventually dies.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:37 AM

After a month of taking rosavastatin Crestor...had this dry hacking cough that I thought was part of a cold virus...not.

Common Symtems...constipation yep and cough and confusion.

Stopped taking them yesterday...my old self today...jeeeze even SWMBO gave me a hug.

So...back to the quack.

Last edited by Robin128; 11-15-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 PM

So...we've all been conned...

Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 AM

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search