Headlamps and wipers - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M235xi
Headlamps and wipers

In just noticed that turning on the windshield wipers does not automatically turn on the headlamps when the automatic headlamps setting is selected. I would have thought it would. New Jersey has a law that if your wipers are on, you must have your headlamps on too. The halos are on of course, I wonder if those will count when I drive by the cops?

But even so, from a safety point of view, I would have thought BMW would have set the wipers being on to turn on the headlamps. Headlamps on in the rain is always a good idea. Rain generally means reduced visibility. They are so into safety in other areas, but not in the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
In just noticed that turning on the windshield wipers does not automatically turn on the headlamps when the automatic headlamps setting is selected. I would have thought it would. New Jersey has a law that if your wipers are on, you must have your headlamps on too. The halos are on of course, I wonder if those will count when I drive by the cops?

But even so, from a safety point of view, I would have thought BMW would have set the wipers being on to turn on the headlamps. Headlamps on in the rain is always a good idea. Rain generally means reduced visibility. They are so into safety in other areas, but not in the case?
Just put on Daytime Running Lights and you you wont have to worry.
cheers
vern
PS Looking forward to your first impressions of your new BMW.
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Just put on Daytime Running Lights and you you wont have to worry.
cheers
vern
PS Looking forward to your first impressions of your new BMW.
Running lights are on. I was just trying to point out that headlamps are probably better in the rain than running lights. My suggestion to BMW is that if your lights are in the auto setting the the car puts on full headlamps with wiper activation rather staying with the running lights.

I just mounted my summer tires. I am waiting for them to break in so I can then put the car's handling though its paces and then i'll report back. I immediately noticed a huge difference (improvement) going to the GFT Michelin PSS from the factory RFT P7 A/S. Sneak preview- I love this car! Best I've ever had, except maybe for my 1970 Mach 1...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:

With the auto wipers on, the car will automatically turn on the lights once the wipers start going and reach a certain speed of wiping.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
With the auto wipers on, the car will automatically turn on the lights once the wipers start going and reach a certain speed of wiping.
Yes, it tested this out, the lights do indeed come on in most cases. They do not come on automatically when using the rain sensor.

Turn on wipers with rain sensor - running lights only lit, headlamps do not come on.
Turn on wipers manually by pressing lever up once (or twice), headlamps turn on.
If you go back to rain sensor mode after running wipers in manual mode, headlamps stay on.

So it seems to work mostly as I thought it should, but you have to remember to run wipers in manual mode, initially at least, to get lights. I don't understand why rain sensor alone doesn't also turn them on, maybe BMW is trying to conserve energy.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
What Mo said. The auto wipers will turn on the headlights when they determine the rain is heavy enough to need them.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What Mo said. The auto wipers will turn on the headlights when they determine the rain is heavy enough to need them.
Quote:
Yes, it tested this out, the lights do indeed come on in most cases. They do not come on automatically when using the rain sensor.

Turn on wipers with rain sensor - running lights only lit, headlamps do not come on.
Turn on wipers manually by pressing lever up once (or twice), headlamps turn on.
If you go back to rain sensor mode after running wipers in manual mode, headlamps stay on...
I checked the Owner's Manual to see if this function is described in detail. Unless I missed it, I could not find any details on this subject. Is this function described in the Owner's Manual?

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
I checked the Owner's Manual to see if this function is described in detail. Unless I missed it, I could not find any details on this subject. Is this function described in the Owner's Manual?
It is a legal requirement in some US states. You may not have the requirement in ZA.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
It's not mentioned in the manual. But the car does indeed turn on the headlamps with wiper operation, except in cases of very slow intermittent wiper operation.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search