F80 wild and unwieldly?? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM
saszayed saszayed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mein Auto:
F80 wild and unwieldly??

Hi everyone, i've owned a F80 M3 in tanzanite blue for 3 years now. To this day the car scares me when pushed hard and I find it unwieldly (hard to handle) when driven hard. Despite being fast and handles sharply, It feels on edge when driven hard. it doesnt feel natural and not so confidence inspiring, very unlike older gen bimmers. The suspension especially feels bouncy at high speed, like the car wants to skip and steering feels weird. Ive driven older m3s and porsches and I feel a lot more connected in those cars. The M3 is indeed a handful and very challenging to drive hard, but i think it can very a very potent machine if you know how to handle it. Maybe i need to take it to the track to become more acquainted with it? Any owners who share this feeling or anyone with knowledge care to comment about this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Dr. Who Dr. Who is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ?
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saszayed View Post
Hi everyone, i've owned a F80 M3 in tanzanite blue for 3 years now. To this day the car scares me when pushed hard and I find it unwieldly (hard to handle) when driven hard. Despite being fast and handles sharply, It feels on edge when driven hard. it doesnt feel natural and not so confidence inspiring, very unlike older gen bimmers. The suspension especially feels bouncy at high speed, like the car wants to skip and steering feels weird. Ive driven older m3s and porsches and I feel a lot more connected in those cars. The M3 is indeed a handful and very challenging to drive hard, but i think it can very a very potent machine if you know how to handle it. Maybe i need to take it to the track to become more acquainted with it? Any owners who share this feeling or anyone with knowledge care to comment about this? Thanks.
Hey,

Yup! Been there!!

* Get the Firmware updated - Not past: F020-18-11-551, If at all possible!
If you (Dealer) have to go beyond that version, skip it!

* Post update, get the car Flash/Coded for "GTS Steering". "Suspension(EDC)" & "Differential".

* Get a good 4 Wheel Alignment.


Cheers!

__________________
///MJoy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM
saszayed saszayed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saszayed View Post
Hi everyone, i've owned a F80 M3 in tanzanite blue for 3 years now. To this day the car scares me when pushed hard and I find it unwieldly (hard to handle) when driven hard. Despite being fast and handles sharply, It feels on edge when driven hard. it doesnt feel natural and not so confidence inspiring, very unlike older gen bimmers. The suspension especially feels bouncy at high speed, like the car wants to skip and steering feels weird. Ive driven older m3s and porsches and I feel a lot more connected in those cars. The M3 is indeed a handful and very challenging to drive hard, but i think it can very a very potent machine if you know how to handle it. Maybe i need to take it to the track to become more acquainted with it? Any owners who share this feeling or anyone with knowledge care to comment about this? Thanks.
Hey,

Yup! Been there!!

* Get the Firmware updated - Not past: F020-18-11-551, If at all possible!
If you (Dealer) have to go beyond that version, skip it!

* Post update, get the car Flash/Coded for "GTS Steering". "Suspension(EDC)" & "Differential".

* Get a good 4 Wheel Alignment.


Cheers!

Thanks, but can you please elaborate on the second point...what will the edc suspension do and what will differential flash do? Also where do I get this done? the stealer?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Dr. Who Dr. Who is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ?
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: Tardis
Ok.,

Our cars (gen.) are delivered to us as if we're "beta testers". The firmware is constantly being updated during it's lifespan
as problems are found (i.e.: steering --> to the right) and fixes are developed.

Early model F8x's came with an improperly calibrated suspension.
It was soft in the wrong places. There was either too much sway/body roll and/or diving in inopportune moments.

Beyond the firmware, specific models have to be differentiated somehow (to justify increased cost). The "CS" version is
one up above the Comp. Pkg. and the same goes for the "GTS", above the "CS", albeit with a slightly different focus for
each.

* Steering
* "EDC" - Suspension
* Differential

All function together dynamically to get all the cars' power to the ground. Problem being, out of the box, specially on
earlier (firmware) models, all of the above could be better.

Our cars have enough power & torque. The only issue is the proper and efficient delivery of these for our particular
driving - be it DD or track - requirements.

The Firmware is best updated at the dealer, but be aware you have to come in with a specific ailment
("steering pulling to the right chronically") or they will either not do it or charge you for it.

Take note of what I wrote you previously regarding the firmware versions.

[email protected](mss) - Coder/Tuner can (remotely) do:

* GTS Steering (This will tighten all up and make it more precise)
* GTS DCT calibration (Quicker shifts - if yours is a DCT)
* CS EDC (again, "Precise" but, not too stiff)
* GTS Differential (Reduce sway and or slippage)

Once again, do the Firmware before the coding. The other way around, it may all get erased!


Cheers!

__________________
///MJoy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 AM
saszayed saszayed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
Ok.,

Our cars (gen.) are delivered to us as if we're "beta testers". The firmware is constantly being updated during it's lifespan
as problems are found (i.e.: steering --> to the right) and fixes are developed.

Early model F8x's came with an improperly calibrated suspension.
It was soft in the wrong places. There was either too much sway/body roll and/or diving in inopportune moments.

Beyond the firmware, specific models have to be differentiated somehow (to justify increased cost). The "CS" version is
one up above the Comp. Pkg. and the same goes for the "GTS", above the "CS", albeit with a slightly different focus for
each.

* Steering
* "EDC" - Suspension
* Differential

All function together dynamically to get all the cars' power to the ground. Problem being, out of the box, specially on
earlier (firmware) models, all of the above could be better.

Our cars have enough power & torque. The only issue is the proper and efficient delivery of these for our particular
driving - be it DD or track - requirements.

The Firmware is best updated at the dealer, but be aware you have to come in with a specific ailment
("steering pulling to the right chronically") or they will either not do it or charge you for it.

Take note of what I wrote you previously regarding the firmware versions.

[email protected](mss) - Coder/Tuner can (remotely) do:

* GTS Steering (This will tighten all up and make it more precise)
* GTS DCT calibration (Quicker shifts - if yours is a DCT)
* CS EDC (again, "Precise" but, not too stiff)
* GTS Differential (Reduce sway and or slippage)

Once again, do the Firmware before the coding. The other way around, it may all get erased!


Cheers!

man i shouldnt have to go through all this trouble in a $90k plus car...M car means a perfectly tuned car,,, all this competition package CS gts bull**** is just bmw taking us for a ride...this will be my 3rd and last bmw, tired of this bull****. the car is flawed period. im not gna bother, probably will keep it for another year treat itblike the **** it deserves then trade it in for a porsche...at least with porsche what u see is what u get. BMW...****in crooks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Dr. Who Dr. Who is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ?
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saszayed View Post
man i shouldnt have to go through all this trouble in a $90k plus car...M car means a perfectly tuned car,,, all this competition package CS gts bull**** is just bmw taking us for a ride...this will be my 3rd and last bmw, tired of this bull****. the car is flawed period. im not gna bother, probably will keep it for another year treat itblike the **** it deserves then trade it in for a porsche...at least with porsche what u see is what u get. BMW...****in crooks.
Hey,

I hear you!

There just so much more customization that can be done via coding with the BMW Vs. the Porsche

And, as far as purchasing, New - "Individual" is definitely Not as expensive as, "Exclusive".

Plus , BMW most assuredly always underreports there Hp ratings. Mine is @404 WHp., whereas a good
number seem to be above (+- 424 WHp.) this - Stock!


Cheers!

__________________
///MJoy

Last edited by Dr. Who; 06-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,369
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saszayed View Post
man i shouldnt have to go through all this trouble in a $90k plus car...M car means a perfectly tuned car,,, all this competition package CS gts bull**** is just bmw taking us for a ride...this will be my 3rd and last bmw, tired of this bull****. the car is flawed period. im not gna bother, probably will keep it for another year treat itblike the **** it deserves then trade it in for a porsche...at least with porsche what u see is what u get. BMW...****in crooks.
Lol

Sure. We'll miss you....
__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.