Front collision "warning" - I need to be in an accident for the light to come on - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3
Front collision "warning" - I need to be in an accident for the light to come on

Hope the collective wisdom of this forum can shed some thoughts and experience (it certainly has before!)

Anyway, 2018 M3 here.

I've not been able to "induce" the front collision warning. Meaning, I don't know if it is working as it should?! I don't think it works at all!

During a recent visit to the local BMW dealership, I discussed this with the service department, who introduced me to the BMW Genius on staff.

Basically, he said that it is not possible to cause the front end collision warning light to light up in "normal" driving conditions. Basically, he said that you essentially need to be in a collision oriented situation for it to come on.

This is a real head scratcher for me, since I thought that the purpose of this was to AVOID near collisions? But I have to be "almost" in a collision to cause the light to come on? What is the point of that?

I've had this car for 1.5 years and have never seen the light come on, despite trying to put myself in situations where you would expect that if this was a feature to avoid a collision, it would be activated.

I've searched YouTube for videos about this and not sure mine acts like others' do?

If you have the same car/packages as me, can you let me know if you are able to "induce" the front end collision warning to come on? Can you post a video so I can show it to the local Genius and ask why mine acts differently?

Is it controlled by the camera behind the rear view mirror? Could the camera be tilted down, or to the sides, so that it is not "seeing" whats in front of me?

I have the most updated software.

PS: I have tried the feature with all options enabled: Early, Moderate, Late warning times...

The last time I had a problem, this forum led my BMW service department in the right direction, I'm hoping I can go two for two here!

Thanks for the collective wisdom of this group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Cant help w the M3, but when I get rental cars with this, I have to turn it off. Just a pita moving quickly through traffic. Triggers if you come up quick to a stopped car, or when you are planning a lane change, but need to close quickly on a car in front of you right before you change lanes.

The geniuses' explanation seems par for the course. Clueless and confident.

Close on a parked truck at 30mph, leave braking space or lane change space- should trigger it I would think....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 07-27-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:23 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Get a life size blow up doll. (ard can loan you one of his sex partners). Dress her up like Elizabeth Warren. Velcro her to your driveway, then run her down. See what happens.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
Just get a big cardboard box and try to run it over.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '15 F80 M3
M3 parking proximity sensors for the F82 are not automatically engaged at slow speed. You need to push the little button with the P and traffic cone on it next to your shifter.

It is what it is. You get used to it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search