What is my 2016 M4 worth? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
What is my 2016 M4 worth?

My 2016 M4 convertible sits in the garage and no longer gets driven very often. That said, it is a highly optioned model and I am having some difficulty getting a fair market value for it. The particulars are as follows:

2016 M4 Mineral White Convertible with 17,655 miles
Lady driven (I have been behind the wheel less than 500 of those miles}
Dual Clutch Transmission
Beige interior
$92,700 MSRP inclusive of titanium exhaust tips and factory M exhaust (only factory option missing that I am aware of is merino leather)
Transferable extended warranty to 70,000 miles with $100 deductible
3M wrap on hood, headlights, front valance, side mirrors, front of rear wheels, and trunk area
Transferable tire and wheel warranty
Legal window tint (NC)
Michelin Pilot tires less than 5000 miles ago
No accidents
Regular dealer services
Never had to have anything done other than routine services
Excellent condition - perfect in every way
No tuning - factory all the way around

The car is spotless being garage kept. Never been in snow and only seen rain a couple of times. The wife drove it the first two summers quite a bit but it has not seen much outside the garage in several months and it doesn't look like that will change in the foreseeable future.

Looking for expert input for FMV for our M4. A co-worker has offered $51,500 plus total cost of extended warranty which was $3940.00 so essentially a $55,500 offer. Total MSRP plus add-on's was $101,175

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tunnelgas; 06-08-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Go on KBB.com or Edmunds.com.

I plugged your data into KBB with my (Floriduh) Zip Code (because I'm too lazy to look up your Zip Code), excellent condition. The private party sale price was $51,463, with a range of $49,305 to $53,620. So, your co-worker is making you a very reasonable offer. He's also probably not a con-artist, Nigerian prince, or a serial killer. That's worth $2,100 to you.

The Zip Code variable is small. The last time I went used BMW shopping, the Bubbaville (where I am) KBB and the Beverly Hills (where the car was) KBB prices were within $200 of each other.

Here's the problems with convertible M's: They're more expensive than the coupes or sedans when new, yet far less desirable to those who buy used M's for really ripping around, especially on a track. Convertible M's are sort of Rodeo Drive (Beverly Hills) and Ocean Drive (South Beach) cars, as opposed to VIR, Road Atlanta, Thermal, and Barber Motorsports Park cars.

Don't expect to get back much if anything on the add-ons except for the warranty, either.

You're getting about 55% of MSRP. A less expensive and more track-suitable M2 if the same age, mileage, and condition would fetch probably 70% to 75% of MSRP.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-08-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
Thanks, Autoputzer. I appreciate the feedback and you taking time to provide it. I believe I will hang on to it if that is FMV for the car.

Any other comments, thoughts, suggestions...or offers, are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 05:40 PM

You're welcome. Actually 55% of MSRP after three years is above average for non-M BMW's. The new-car-deprecation pain is over for you now, and you have one Hell of a $51k car there.

I track the annual costs of my cars. After doing so for decades, I dread buying a new car. I buy new, but my average for keeping cars is a little over eight years and about 110k miles. The time I keep cars is going up now that I'm retired (no more commutes or business trips) and we have three cars for two people. The last two cars I sold were twelve years old, and I have another twelve year old car in the garage that will be around about one more year. But, past 100k miles car can become a big inconvenience to keep running. 100k miles seems to be the sweet spot for disposing of a BMW.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:40 PM

You're welcome. Actually 55% of MSRP after three years is above average for non-M BMW's. The new-car-deprecation pain is over for you now, and you have one Hell of a $51k car there.

I track the annual costs of my cars. After doing so for decades, I dread buying a new car. I buy new, but my average for keeping cars is a little over eight years and about 110k miles. The time I keep cars is going up now that I'm retired (no more commutes or business trips) and we have three cars for two people. The last two cars I sold were twelve years old, and I have another twelve year old car in the garage that will be around about one more year. But, past 100k miles car can become a big inconvenience to keep running. 100k miles seems to be the sweet spot for disposing of a BMW.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Just a post from someone up outside NYC in CT, if you have a way to sell your car up here or post it for some dealers to make you an offer on, you may have better luck. These things are still super expensive up here. Not sure if the year makes that much difference as much as the mileage does, but...

I just purchased a 2018 M3 with around 14K miles (just under and now over since I own). I was searching and had like 5 within 250-300 miles of me. One dealership was a bunch of sheisty f's so I took my biz elsewhere, then I had 4 others lined up and was planning to drive 2-3 hours to each of them and one by one that week they all sold wed/thurs/friday and saturday I went to go see the last one and drove it home. Took home for just under 60K for a fully stocked 2018 M3 Comp Package in white and red interior and most of all the accessories/packages apart from the assisted cruise control, has all the other driving help stuff.

So may be able to get $10K more in my mind if you went and posted up here or spoke with a dealer that needs to fill inventory, as they are extremely rare up here with competition package and all packages... FWIW
Old 06-26-2019, 05:39 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2017 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_barry View Post
Just a post from someone up outside NYC in CT, if you have a way to sell your car up here or post it for some dealers to make you an offer on, you may have better luck. These things are still super expensive up here. Not sure if the year makes that much difference as much as the mileage does, but...

I just purchased a 2018 M3 with around 14K miles (just under and now over since I own). I was searching and had like 5 within 250-300 miles of me. One dealership was a bunch of sheisty f's so I took my biz elsewhere, then I had 4 others lined up and was planning to drive 2-3 hours to each of them and one by one that week they all sold wed/thurs/friday and saturday I went to go see the last one and drove it home. Took home for just under 60K for a fully stocked 2018 M3 Comp Package in white and red interior and most of all the accessories/packages apart from the assisted cruise control, has all the other driving help stuff.

So may be able to get $10K more in my mind if you went and posted up here or spoke with a dealer that needs to fill inventory, as they are extremely rare up here with competition package and all packages... FWIW
This is valid advice. It is similar to a higher priced 4x4 market in mountain regions vs. non-mountain regions.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Autoputzer so advice is spot on. 50-55% is solid guidance.

DO NOT confuse 'what dealers are asking' (and getting) with the private resale market. It will not be at all surprising to find a 10k spread there.

Having tracked Mcar prices for years, it is a classic curve and a classic response of owners to 'the curve'.... "Well if I am going to get screwed that bad, I'll hold onto it"....unfortunately you just ride the curve on down. In a year, or two, it drops another $7500, 15k

IMO that offer is within a few k of being market. The market doesn't care about wife driven, garaged, waxed, etc, etc

GL

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search