Should I get manual or DCT - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435GC, 540i, 325i
Should I get manual or DCT

As I said on my spare tire thread, Iím getting an M4 on European delivery. I just put the order in so I have a brief window where I can probably change the specs of the car if I want. I ordered the DCT but Iím really conflicted. Iím 61 years old and have driven manuals my entire life until I got a 4 grand coupe 4 years ago. The M will be my daily driver and Iím certainly not going to track it. But I do like to get out on country roads for some spirited driving when I can. I plan to keep it ď foreverĒ. I currently live in a moderate sized town where traffic isnít a big concern but when I retire that may, or may not, be the case.

The manual is cheaper and I suspect more reliable in the long run. Also, who knows how long BMW will even offer manuals so it could be more desirable if I ever did want to sell it. But the DCT probably performs better.

I realize no one can really tell me what I should do but those who have each please state the reasons you got what you did and do you have any regrets. Either way Iíll be happy but I also think either way I may question my decision.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by akthorp View Post
As I said on my spare tire thread, I'm getting an M4 on European delivery. I just put the order in so I have a brief window where I can probably change the specs of the car if I want. I ordered the DCT but I'm really conflicted. I'm 61 years old and have driven manuals my entire life until I got a 4 grand coupe 4 years ago. The M will be my daily driver and I'm certainly not going to track it. But I do like to get out on country roads for some spirited driving when I can. I plan to keep it " forever". I currently live in a moderate sized town where traffic isn't a big concern but when I retire that may, or may not, be the case.

The manual is cheaper and I suspect more reliable in the long run. Also, who knows how long BMW will even offer manuals so it could be more desirable if I ever did want to sell it. But the DCT probably performs better.

I realize no one can really tell me what I should do but those who have each please state the reasons you got what you did and do you have any regrets. Either way I'll be happy but I also think either way I may question my decision.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Well,

Other than being 61, since you've driven MT's all of your life, It should be like, second nature to you.
What's the issue? This isn't an old ("Jeep - CJ") 4 X 4.

If you don't have any left leg related ailments (e.g.: blood flow, arthritis, gout, uric acid, etc.) then, the
choice is clear!?!

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr. Who; 06-09-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
Since this is your DD why not make the switch over to DCT?
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M3
I've got a 2016 M3 with the DCT and I'm in the same demographic boat more or less. The bulk of the cars I've owned were manuals and I've been driving something with a clutch since I was 12 (farms have fairly loose driving rules).

Full disclosure: I hunted around for about two years before getting my M3. I almost always did test drives in manuals (the M240's manual is really sweet) and would have preferred it. But the dealer gave me a great deal on the M3 with the DCT and all the options on my list.

The DCT takes some getting used to since it's not an "automatic" in the traditional sense. But if you put your M4 in full-on sport+ mode the DCT really makes a difference (the car is a real beast in Sport+). It's obvious that a DCT will shave off a few tenths of a second on any spirited 0-60 run. You really won't understand until the first time you put it in full Sport+ mode and crank up the DCT shift control. This car is easy to drive very, very fast. That said, I am concerned about the lifetime of this transmission but I haven't heard of any issues like the Ford DCT debacle.

I really like the performance of the DCT. I would *not* DD a DCT. It would be a huge aggravation in stop-and-go traffic. I don't DD my M3 and it spends most of its time in "comfort" mode. My elderly M5 (manual) does most around-town errands and while it is a manual the transmission on E39s is quirky at best and almost impossible to repair. OTOH every modern BMW with a manual that I tested was smooth as silk to drive. If you've driven manuals most of your life you will not be disappointed.

Flip a coin!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
We don't buy these cars because we need them. We buy them because we want them. The main purpose of a car is to provide us with transportation. Every car on the market will fill that need. Some of us want to go beyond basic transportation for whatever reason whether we are looking for a fun driving experience, luxury, status or whatever.

Both the DCT and the MT are excellent transmissions and I find them both enjoyable to drive. The DCT can shift faster than any human can which gives it a performance advantage. The MT can be very engaging and there is a great deal of satisfaction in executing a perfectly rev matched heel and toe downshift.

Bottom line: buy the one you will get the most enjoyment out of driving.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Shift the M-DCT like a manual transmission. Done.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-17-2019, 02:25 PM

I know that the DCT has better performance, but I'll take a few extra 1/10's to be able to "row gears".

I live in downtown Chicago and people think it's crazy to have a MT, but I just enjoy it too much.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki312 View Post
I know that the DCT has better performance, but I'll take a few extra 1/10's to be able to "row gears".

I live in downtown Chicago and people think it's crazy to have a MT, but I just enjoy it too much.
Tell me you've never opened all the windows and taken an quick blast on Lower Wacker...
Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalesGeek View Post
Tell me you've never opened all the windows and taken an quick blast on Lower Wacker...
Haha...I sure have - in my car and on my bike.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 Convertible
DCT My ote

I am in a very similar situation. MT's since my youth and now in my 60's with a DCT M4. Not DD just a weekend toy. My list of past vehicles goes on and on. My only complaint is the occasional "bucking" when starting out in 1st. There are ways to minimize this though. I truly enjoy the DCT and have no regrets
Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Go Hawks!

Quote:

I too have a manual M3 downtown...wouldn't have any other way...first gear and sport mode in my high rise garage is music to ears...
Old 06-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greginchi View Post
I too have a manual M3 downtown...wouldn't have any other way...first gear and sport mode in my high rise garage is music to ears...
That's right!

The people in my garage at work HATE my car because it's so loud - every car in there is a luxury car and some old woman told me my car was "unrefined" and didn't belong in there. haha.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
The attendant at my garage in Manhattan was pulling my 2015 M4 out of the garage when it was a few weeks old and a woman who was waiting for car told me I needed a new muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Go Hawks!

Quote:
That's right!

The people in my garage at work HATE my car because it's so loud - every car in there is a luxury car and some old woman told me my car was "unrefined" and didn't belong in there. haha.
Ha! My garage has some other loud ones...a few other M cars...Lambo...Ferrari...Maserati...etc...so no complaints!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greginchi View Post
Ha! My garage has some other loud ones...a few other M cars...Lambo...Ferrari...Maserati...etc...so no complaints!
I rode my motorcycle to work last week on a slow day...now no one complains about my car anymore.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2017 M4
I vote for the MT unless you forsee any health or external issues that might arise which would make you reconsider your choice after the fact.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 AM
The dude abides

Mein Auto: 335xi
As I make move from my current 'tastefully modified' xdrive E92 to an F82, I plan to go with the DCT. Every car I've owned since I was 15 (now 62) was manual, until the E92. While rowing gears is fun, provides some great feedback and satisfaction, I've become a fan of the automatic + sport mode + xHP flash. Another $0.02 worth.

I've begun shopping for an F82, looking at 2016 & 2017's. Just haven't found The One yet.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search