Comp. Seats are hard as a rock....Who knew. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 ZCP
Comp. Seats are hard as a rock....Who knew.

1st opportunity to sit in a beautiful MW ZCP but.... The seats are like sitting on a piece of slate!! Whats with the side bolster that supposedly "locks U in"?? felt like my wallet under my leg!! Anyways ordering next week but now have unneeded doubts. Any others see this as an issue?? Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:14 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
You should sit on the regular seats before any decision... the main difference between the two seats is the lack of lumbar support in the ZCP. The side bolsters are deeper because of the thinner backrest lacking the lumbar support. The side bolsters are still adjustable.

I had no issues with my ZCP seats once adjusted to my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
1st opportunity to sit in a beautiful MW ZCP but.... The seats are like sitting on a piece of slate!! Whats with the side bolster that supposedly "locks U in"?? felt like my wallet under my leg!! Anyways ordering next week but now have unneeded doubts. Any others see this as an issue?? Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You should sit on the regular seats before any decision... the main difference between the two seats is the lack of lumbar support in the ZCP. The side bolsters are deeper because of the thinner backrest lacking the lumbar support. The side bolsters are still adjustable.

I had no issues with my ZCP seats once adjusted to my taste.
Hi Technic, Maybe i was just a bit surprised on the snugness, even my C/A wasn't quite digging the fit. He wasn't quite sure about the adjustability & I didn't press it. So you're saying that the side bolsters widen?? If so it'll be okay. They are rather hard, agree?? Thanks 4 taking the time to help

Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M4 Cabrio
I didn't have the option for competition seats because I have a cabriolet. The regular seats are quite good, and I appreciate the lumbar support, adjustable side bolsters, and heating, though they still feel very high after moving from a Z4. The neck warmers are awesome with the top down at near-freezing temperatures or even with the top up on sub-freezing mornings. It's been ages since I've tracked a car and I likely won't do so regularly with this car. If I were only on the track a few times a year and driving on streets the rest of the time, I'd prefer the regular seats anyway. If I were going to be at the track most weekends, I'd probably have the competition seats but then I wouldn't have the cabrio.
2017 M4 Cabriolet Yas Marina Blue

Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I didn't have the option for competition seats because I have a cabriolet. The regular seats are quite good, and I appreciate the lumbar support, adjustable side bolsters, and heating, though they still feel very high after moving from a Z4. The neck warmers are awesome with the top down at near-freezing temperatures or even with the top up on sub-freezing mornings. It's been ages since I've tracked a car and I likely won't do so regularly with this car. If I were only on the track a few times a year and driving on streets the rest of the time, I'd prefer the regular seats anyway. If I were going to be at the track most weekends, I'd probably have the competition seats but then I wouldn't have the cabrio.

I've sat on the F83 ZCP seats and discovered them to be "normal" seating. You've got the best of both worlds! Last guy here to bitch but really found them uncomfortable and I'm 6'1 185. Deal killer for me, off to the "standard" F80...Thank God.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto:
I just picked up an anniversary M3 and I absolutely love the seats. I feel locked into the car especially when I'm really pushing it through some turns. It feels like they were made for me.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:32 PM

I do believe they would be excellent 4 tracking & basic aggressiveness but i have doubts for everyday. Lack of lumbar no biggie but never heard they're hard like a bench...Long rides
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Go Dawgs!

Mein Auto: 2010 E60 550i ZSP 6MT
I agree with you - the seats are hard as a rock. That aspect definitely the one thing I like the least about the car. Unfortunately, for my wife they are intolerable. So much so that she pretty much refuses to ride in my car, which is unfortunate, because it reduces my opportunities to drive it.

I'm coming out of an E60 550i ZSP that had the most comfortable sport seats I've ever sat in. I miss them dearly. The only reason I ended up in a F82 ZCP was that if I had to go down from a 5er to a 4er (because the F10/G30 are fat, boring, luxo-barges that are no fun to drive), I'm was at least going to get a "no compromise" car with all the goodies I could want. The F82 is an absolute blast to drive, and I'm really, truly in love with the car. I even love the looks of the seats, but there's just no denying that the padding on the butt and up the spine is really quite stiff, and can get a bit fatiguing.

Having said that, I just drove the car for four hours through stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic the other day, and sitting in the seats for that long didn't bother me too badly. Just could be a lot better in the comfort department. It's my only regret, and it is very close to being a deal breaker, but obviously wasn't.

YMMV, but that's my experience and $0.02.

IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10

In the Stable:
2010 E60 550i ZSP 6MT IAS
2011 F10 535xi ZSP (ED July 15, 2011)
2019 G30 M550xi (ED July 8, 2019)

Retired:
2016 F82 ///M4 ZCP (ED July 6, 2016)
2008 E60 550i ZSP (ED July 22, 2008)
2000 E39 540i ZSP 6MT

Member BMWCCA #402733
Old 12-16-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickUW89 View Post
I agree with you - the seats are hard as a rock. That aspect definitely the one thing I like the least about the car. Unfortunately, for my wife they are intolerable. So much so that she pretty much refuses to ride in my car, which is unfortunate, because it reduces my opportunities to drive it.

I'm coming out of an E60 550i ZSP that had the most comfortable sport seats I've ever sat in. I miss them dearly. The only reason I ended up in a F82 ZCP was that if I had to go down from a 5er to a 4er (because the F10/G30 are fat, boring, luxo-barges that are no fun to drive), I'm was at least going to get a "no compromise" car with all the goodies I could want. The F82 is an absolute blast to drive, and I'm really, truly in love with the car. I even love the looks of the seats, but there's just no denying that the padding on the butt and up the spine is really quite stiff, and can get a bit fatiguing.

Having said that, I just drove the car for four hours through stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic the other day, and sitting in the seats for that long didn't bother me too badly. Just could be a lot better in the comfort department. It's my only regret, and it is very close to being a deal breaker, but obviously wasn't.

YMMV, but that's my experience and $0.02.
Hey Bick...Thanks 4 the feedback! I'm just really surprised this hasn't been discussed before. I was fully aware of minus lumbar but caught totally off guard by the lack of any cushion (Wood bench) My C/A followed suit & tried for himself, should of seen his reaction! No softy here, i can take punishment with the best of em, deal breaker for me as if the 666'ers weren't bad enough! Back to My M3 civic build. Thanks for the detailed post, appreciate.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:33 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3

Quote:
Hey Bick...Thanks 4 the feedback! I'm just really surprised this hasn't been discussed before. I was fully aware of minus lumbar but caught totally off guard by the lack of any cushion (Wood bench) My C/A followed suit & tried for himself, should of seen his reaction! No softy here, i can take punishment with the best of em, deal breaker for me as if the 666'ers weren't bad enough! Back to My M3 civic build. Thanks for the detailed post, appreciate.

Wow. I cannot believe that the ZCP seats are that bad. I just love my standard seat and I drive for hours in comfort. Also, I wonder if the feedback on ZCP seats is limited because only a few of them are out there.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 12-16-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Wow. I cannot believe that the ZCP seats are that bad. I just love my standard seat and I drive for hours in comfort. Also, I wonder if the feedback on ZCP seats is limited because only a few of them are out there.
You don't know how lucky you are Im one of those people that "never" complain, unless it's valid...so valid. Drive in comfort my friend!!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto:
I bought this thing to drive the piss out of it and that's what I intend to do. This is a sports car for me, if I want comfort I'll hop in my X5. I came from a non zcp F80 and find the zcp seats amazing. My wife loves the new one and ride quality on the 666 wheels is nothing short of perfect. Whatever you decide you'll love the car I can guarantee that.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardown27 View Post
I bought this thing to drive the piss out of it and that's what I intend to do. This is a sports car for me, if I want comfort I'll hop in my X5. I came from a non zcp F80 and find the zcp seats amazing. My wife loves the new one and ride quality on the 666 wheels is nothing short of perfect. Whatever you decide you'll love the car I can guarantee that.
Agree with your post but my can needs an ounce of fluff, short & sweet. I have owned 6 Bimmers in like 12 years and drove them all like a nut, that's what they're 4 right?? Don't buy em for lux. Just surprised that this was such an oversight. Thanx 4 the reply bardown! P.S. You're wife must be one cool dude, mine would be in tears @ the quarter pole.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: M4
You girls are wimps!!! The ZCP seats are more comfortable and my wife hasn't complained a bit.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M4 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
You girls are wimps!!! The ZCP seats are more comfortable and my wife hasn't complained a bit.
You mean the M Sport seats. In the F83, the Competition Package (ZCP) does not come with those seats, which are not available with the convertible.

I suppose it might be true to say my ZCP seats are more comfortable than your ZCP seats.
2017 M4 Cabriolet Yas Marina Blue

Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
You mean the M Sport seats. In the F83, the Competition Package (ZCP) does not come with those seats, which are not available with the convertible.

I suppose it might be true to say my ZCP seats are more comfortable than your ZCP seats.
What? I'm lost? I was taking about the F82 ZCP seats. Didn't know the F83 had different seats with ZCP
Old 12-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:

^^^^^This^^^^^ Best response!!

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What? I'm lost? I was taking about the F82 ZCP seats. Didn't know the F83 had different seats with ZCP

F83 has "traditional" M seats...Lucky bastards!!!

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
The F83 has the same seats as the F33, regardless of ZCP.

Quote:

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 12-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Extended Euro Delivery

Mein Auto: '18 X3
I like heated seats, and my back thanks me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1er
Quote:
Absolutely, might want to try one of those seat covers that have ventilation.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Somehow I think he figured it out over the last THREE YEARS....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 08-12-2019, 11:15 PM

Almost three years later....I take it all back, ZCP seats are amazing.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search