new upgrade - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 04, 645
new upgrade

just took my car to the dealer to get the ipod retrofit installed and get a new sip version. they say the just got the 24 in as i waited till they got it as the one before was 23.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Give us all the good details when u get it back. At least I hope it is good
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 AM
SVSCME

Mein Auto: 2017 440i
Rough Idle

I wonder if this upgrade also includes the fix for rough idle when the engine is cold? It started after the last upgrade when the SLZ module was replaced. When I went in to have the oil changed I mentioned that ever since my last upgrade I experienced the rough idle. The SA said that the next one would be out around January that cured the problem. Has Christmas arrived early?
2006 650i (sold 5/18/17)
2003 330i (wifes) sold 10/27/06 replaced with 530i (7/21/06 ED) 9/28/06 re-delivery
2001 540i (rear ended & totaled 8/17/05)
1986 535 e28 (beater, but working on restoration)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645 to 530 to 2011 528
my rough idle was "fixed" by them finding a misfire on 5 and 6... they replaced the top 1/2 of my motor valve lifters head gaskets O rings. I just got it back on Sat so i don't know if it's fixed or not
Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 AM

my sip now is 16 i guess and i dont have an idle problem and i only need the upgrade for the mp3 retrofit for the ipod kit as 23.2 had some issues with it i waited for 24 and i hope it will be all good
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM
SVSCME

Mein Auto: 2017 440i
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro23 View Post
my rough idle was "fixed" by them finding a misfire on 5 and 6... they replaced the top 1/2 of my motor valve lifters head gaskets O rings. I just got it back on Sat so i don't know if it's fixed or not

You haven't started your car since Saturday? Shame on you for not driving it Was yours idleing rough all the time?

I'm thinking that mine is just a software issue as it was fine before going in for the module replacement. I wouldn't want my engine torn down. Good luck
2006 650i (sold 5/18/17)
2003 330i (wifes) sold 10/27/06 replaced with 530i (7/21/06 ED) 9/28/06 re-delivery
2001 540i (rear ended & totaled 8/17/05)
1986 535 e28 (beater, but working on restoration)
Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM

i got the car back today updated with ver 24.1 and let me tell you it has changed a lot since my last ver. and the best thing now is that my ipod works
Old 12-14-2006, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 650, 330xi 545man [sold]
i've notes little difference between the 06 to just dekivered 07[nov2 06 build] except the lawyer screen does disappear after 10 sec [finally].
Old 12-14-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch650 View Post
You haven't started your car since Saturday? Shame on you for not driving it Was yours idleing rough all the time?

I'm thinking that mine is just a software issue as it was fine before going in for the module replacement. I wouldn't want my engine torn down. Good luck

No it wasn't idleing rough until the software update with the special laptop... then it ran rough... it was day and night. from when i got it back.... I thought it was a software issue as it appeared RIGHT after a software update

Then i took it back and BOOM top of engine was rebuilt because they found misfires in the morning.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SullyPCV
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 645cic
Rough Idle, misfires

My 04 645 convertible is rough when cold. Surges sometimes, recently it coughed and died at a light. I took it to the local Austin BMW dealer and they can't find anything wrong because there is no "code". What ever happened to mechanics who knew the customer was right and could simply start the car cold and see, feel and hear the problem? I'm pretty disappointed that my 95 Chevy Z71 pickup runs smooth as a top and my supercar idles like a streetrod with a 3/4 cam in it.
1995 Chevy Z-71 Silverado, Green, Beigh Cloth, 4x4
1993 Lexus SC400 Blue, Beige Leather, Auto
1986 Honda Magna V65, Motorcycle, Black
1984 Toyota Celica Supra, Silver Blue, Gray Cloth, 5 speed
1981 Volvo 240DL Wagon
1970 Plymouth Road Runner
1965 MGB, White, Black Leather, 4-speed stick
1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Coupe
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyPCV View Post
My 04 645 convertible is rough when cold. Surges sometimes, recently it coughed and died at a light. I took it to the local Austin BMW dealer and they can't find anything wrong because there is no "code". What ever happened to mechanics who knew the customer was right and could simply start the car cold and see, feel and hear the problem? I'm pretty disappointed that my 95 Chevy Z71 pickup runs smooth as a top and my supercar idles like a streetrod with a 3/4 cam in it.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:30 AM

Sully... like i said up top... My dealer in NJ (DeSimone BMW they are great and actually believe you) kept the car overnight so they can test in the morning... and did find that mine idled like a big block car... they in turn found misfires and some problems with their valvetronic intermediate lever test.

Mention that test to them.. Weird part is this wasn't a problem for me before the software was updated i had ver 16 when i got the car 4-5 months ago.. so who knows what the new software did to the car.

Mine stalled on me once when the car was actually kinda warm and at an intersection... and another two times in my driveway... but ever since they reaplaced all valve lifters head gasket and a bunch of other things.. it's been perfect. My dads Ford truck with 89,000 has never had a single issue since he got it.. he takes it in for service and changes oil on time. I'm almost envious.

What would have happened if my car ran rough out of service? it was $3000 in parts alone!!! imagine that + labor.. thats a nice hit for a new car thats worth 80,000 Jr Cheesburgers

PS i still love this bastard of a car with all my heart.

Last edited by destro23; 12-28-2006 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:47 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro23 View Post
PS i still love this bastard of a car with all my heart.
The irony of it all! I love my beauty too.

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '07 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
It's nice to see BMW NA folks checking this site out. Love my car, and no problems at all (knock wood) but it's obvious that "Big Brother" needs to kick ass at times with what is a very uneven quality spread of dealers.

By the way: Kudos to BMW of Sterling (VA) !! They do it ALL well. BMW of Arlington and Passport -- well let's just say they don't.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:49 AM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
It's nice to see BMW NA folks checking this site out. it's obvious that "Big Brother" needs to kick ass at times with what is a very uneven quality spread of dealers.
Great point BH. I travel alot thru AZ to SoCal and I am shocked at how worthless/clueless some dealers are. This goes for sales and service. I've been to alot of them over the years and after one stop, you know immediately which ones to avoid.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
B M W Needs To Improve Its Dealer Network Starting With Santa Monica Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore View Post
Great point BH. I travel alot thru AZ to SoCal and I am shocked at how worthless/clueless some dealers are. This goes for sales and service. I've been to alot of them over the years and after one stop, you know immediately which ones to avoid.
BMW really needs to do something about its dealer network. As its cars get more and more complicated, the dealers get more and more clueless. The first reaction is always that there's nothing wrong, no way to fix a problem (if it exists, which we deny), and that it is going to cost a fortune to do something (remember my $2400 CD changer installation?), although we doubt it can be done. The SAs do not keep up on the cars or the SIBs. We need a few SAs dedicated to the advanced electronics on the cars, but the dealers don't dedicate an SA or two to that task. BMW NA should force them to.

If BMW NA is serious it needs to buy out the ownership of the problematic dealers, starting with the Santa Monica ddealership, which is the cancer rotting at the core of the Southern California dealer network. Refugees from that dealership then go to neighboring dealerships, where they get treatment slightly better than disgusting, and they are happy and think that is the norm. What they are getting is piss poor service, but many of them don't know any better. We do know better, but it doesn't seem to do any good. (Here comes the unwashed masses insult.)

My suspicion is that only 20% of the owners of 6ers and 7ers know how to use all of the electronic gadgets and doo hickeys on the car. Most know how to put the windows up and down with one-touch, probably 50% know how to program the iDrive to give them the 3-flash turn indicator option (and most learned about it by accident scrolling through the iDrive), but most owners don't put their cars to the daily test that we do. Thus, most owners don't encounter the problems we do, and most dealers are set up to process the 3ers for warranty and service needs like sausages, and placate the 6er and 7er owners. But customer satisfaction is rare indeed.

BMW NA needs to move from placation to satisfaction. And the surveys BMW sends out, which are administered by the dealers themselves, are another problem. BMW needs to send out some of its own employees, posing as customers, and present real world problems to the dealers. They can chose from the list of problems here for the 6er. I bet the satisfaction ratings, based on real world experiences, and not dealer and SA begging (and attempts to provoke feelings on guilt) to give them grades they don't deserve, would be an eye opener for BMW NA.

Of course, Vatkens will never respond to this post. He'll see it as more musings from the demented and dissatisfied. And BMW service will get worse and worse and eventually hurt the company.

It's BMW's call, but I don't think it will ever do anything effective.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
I fear you are right. I am essentially terrified to go back to the dealer EVER again! It sucks, but I believe that they are completely incompetent at doing what it is that they are allegedly able to do better than anyone. Case in point...

My first BMW "ultimate" driving experience posted below.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178154
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 AM

Thank god for DeSimone in NJ... at least they believe me when i say the car runs like **** and they looked at the problem enough to find misfires on cylinders!!! i seriously think the dealers on the left side would not have done anything but say... wait till next software upgrade.

I can tell they take me seriously because every problem i've ever had with the car and i told them about... they were able to reproduce. when i told them about the tranny bang they origionally thought it was just a squeek or rattle somewhere... till the Tech reproduced it and almost **** thinking he wrecked the car LoL. We had a nice chuckle over that and they like me over there... and i'm nice to them at all times... nothing the dealer can do about Issues that come up from bmw software.

Either way... they are building an amazing new building with a big oval stairway that rises to second story and drive cars up to the second story. And lots of glass... they are building this because of good service and lots of sales and repeat customers. Sucks to be on the West i would end up fighting someone if they treated me like they do you guys.

Last edited by destro23; 12-28-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
BMW really needs to do something about its dealer network. As its cars get more and more complicated, the dealers get more and more clueless. The first reaction is always that there's nothing wrong, no way to fix a problem (if it exists, which we deny), and that it is going to cost a fortune to do something
It's unfortunate that customers have to bring in copies of SIB's, CIP's, and present it to SA's to get things fixed. The other unfortunate, is the dealers first reaction (dealer arrogance)... they think the customer is "looney" when we come in with an issue that has not been ID'd by the network yet.

Yes, these cars are complicated, but from the business standpoint, the dealer network MUST be on top of things first. It's really laughable that alot of people here know more than the tech's/SA's, when it comes to issues.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore View Post
It's unfortunate that customers have to bring in copies of SIB's, CIP's, and present it to SA's to get things fixed. The other unfortunate, is the dealers first reaction (dealer arrogance)... they think the customer is "looney" when we come in with an issue that has not been ID'd by the network yet.

Yes, these cars are complicated, but from the business standpoint, the dealer network MUST be on top of things first. It's really laughable that alot of people here know more than the tech's/SA's, when it comes to issues.
Worse. I went in with an issue that had been identified on the SIBs and my dealer just blew me off. Took 2 trips to get it fixed, after Cobradav set me right and I brought the SIB in and shoved it under the nose of the SA when the problem reappeared. This was the "Service Engine Soon" light that came on. They merely re-set it and noted a code that didn't seem to be the right one. Then it happened again and after consulting with the only person in North America who seems to read the fecking SIBs (Cobradav) I brought it back. I tested them first:

Quote:
Me:
Do you know what it is?

Quote:
Incompetent Dealer SA
It's probably just your gas cap. You have to screw it on tight.
Quote:
Me:
I do. Could it be anything else? Have you received any service bulletins about this?

Quote:
Incompetent Dealer SA
No. Nothing.
[I whip out the SIB I have carefully folded and placed in my breast pocket.]
Quote:
Me:
How about this one?

[Pathetic embarrassed laugh. Then, in deprecating voice:]
Quote:
Incompetent Dealer SA
Heh, heh. What do you have there? [Looks at it.] Hmmm. I've never seen this before. Where did you get this?
Quote:
Me:
This SIB has been out for 2 months. I've now wasted three days on this issue. You're very generous with my time. Now please fix it as you should have done two weeks ago.

[A day later:]
Quote:
Incompetent Dealer SA
Mr. Bimmer. Great news!! Your car is ready! We found the problem and fixed it. By the way, we'd appreciate it if you would give us all 5s for our superlative service.
I think my car has now been out of service for a total of 9 or 10 days under the Lemon Law, but if the dealer had been competent it should have been just one or two. And, as a result of a scratch the dealer engraved on my hood (bonnet), it was hors de combat for another week.

I don't think this dealer really likes me. After all, I've only bought 4 BMWs from the dealer. On the other hand, this dealer is incomparably better than Santa Monica BMW. But that's like saying your dog sh!t doesn't smell as bad as my dog sh!t.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Thank goodness we have the terminator like computer known as cobradev. Skynet / BMW is out to get us and our money when warranty is up!! the day after it hits 50k.... problems have been programmed into the (insert Cali Governor accent here) compuuuter

Last edited by destro23; 12-28-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
BMW really needs to do something about its dealer network. As its cars get more and more complicated, the dealers get more and more clueless. The first reaction is always that there's nothing wrong, no way to fix a problem (if it exists, which we deny), and that it is going to cost a fortune to do something (remember my $2400 CD changer installation?), although we doubt it can be done. The SAs do not keep up on the cars or the SIBs. We need a few SAs dedicated to the advanced electronics on the cars, but the dealers don't dedicate an SA or two to that task. BMW NA should force them to.

If BMW NA is serious it needs to buy out the ownership of the problematic dealers, starting with the Santa Monica ddealership, which is the cancer rotting at the core of the Southern California dealer network. Refugees from that dealership then go to neighboring dealerships, where they get treatment slightly better than disgusting, and they are happy and think that is the norm. What they are getting is piss poor service, but many of them don't know any better. We do know better, but it doesn't seem to do any good. (Here comes the unwashed masses insult.)

My suspicion is that only 20% of the owners of 6ers and 7ers know how to use all of the electronic gadgets and doo hickeys on the car. Most know how to put the windows up and down with one-touch, probably 50% know how to program the iDrive to give them the 3-flash turn indicator option (and most learned about it by accident scrolling through the iDrive), but most owners don't put their cars to the daily test that we do. Thus, most owners don't encounter the problems we do, and most dealers are set up to process the 3ers for warranty and service needs like sausages, and placate the 6er and 7er owners. But customer satisfaction is rare indeed.

BMW NA needs to move from placation to satisfaction. And the surveys BMW sends out, which are administered by the dealers themselves, are another problem. BMW needs to send out some of its own employees, posing as customers, and present real world problems to the dealers. They can chose from the list of problems here for the 6er. I bet the satisfaction ratings, based on real world experiences, and not dealer and SA begging (and attempts to provoke feelings on guilt) to give them grades they don't deserve, would be an eye opener for BMW NA.

Of course, Vatkens will never respond to this post. He'll see it as more musings from the demented and dissatisfied. And BMW service will get worse and worse and eventually hurt the company.

BMW dealerships ar consistently inconsistent. They better watch out as Lexus is inching closer everyday.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '07 650 Vert
Quote:

All true.

Concur that Vatkens won't respond. I wouldn't either, he's in a difficult spot. I bet he read it though and maybe passed it along to someone up the chain.

Let me second your point on customer satisfaction surveys (should V also read this post). No way should the dealer get feedback on our surveys. I have to admit to being too kind in the hope that relations /service would improve...etc. Yea, my car was delivered OUT OF GAS and I think I still max'd out my SA (Passport).

Cutting them out of the feedback loop and letting customers know their answers are truly confidential would be a small be effective start to better customer service.

Last edited by BigHat; 12-29-2006 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 AM

sometimes it's like getting robbed..... then the they bring the criminal to see your face. Then your like.... cr*p i'm dead now.

I agree... the process should be a little more anonymous... but i guess they do have to bring up certain cases to try and "correct" the issue.

who konws... don't dealers understand with good service they will get 3 times more business? Not everyone will be happy... and yes there are complete A$$hole owners that always complain, but overall will do more business. I guess i went to a different school for that.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyPCV View Post
I have had no success getting the rough idle, misfire, surge and erratic performance of my 2004 645Ci coupe. I love this car and my dealer has tried a number of fixes that seem to help in one area or another, but bottom line is - this car's performance is erratic. BMW NA called in a tech who tested the car and reported that it was "normal". I have bought 5 new BMW's, I love this car, but I could use some advice and direction.
thanks, doc

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search