Enhanced bluetooth on MY2016? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Enhanced bluetooth on MY2016?

hey guys,

I am located in California. I ordered my MY2016 328i for EU delivery this weekend. I did not order navigation system but I went with the option of Enhanced bluetooth and USB because I want to make/receive calls via the car's speakers wirelessly, listen to music via my phone via bluetooth. My questions are :

1. Do I need the enhanced bluetooth option for handsfree calling and music?
2. If handsfree calling is included standard in this car, what benefit do I get by adding the enhanced bluetooth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 AM
The Batman

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver 320xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernoob2015 View Post
hey guys,

I am located in California. I ordered my MY2016 328i for EU delivery this weekend. I did not order navigation system but I went with the option of Enhanced bluetooth and USB because I want to make/receive calls via the car's speakers wirelessly, listen to music via my phone via bluetooth. My questions are :

2. If handsfree calling is included standard in this car, what benefit do I get by adding the enhanced bluetooth?
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong (anyone who reads this) This is my interpretation.

1. You need enhanced bluetooth for the ability to stream music. I do know that. Hands-free will be answered in second question.

2. Hands-free calling refers to simply answering the phone, using bluetooth connection, not the actual music playback. You need enhanced bluetooth to get this functionality. Enhanced bluetooth gives you hands free AND audio playback.

The two questions are generally about the same question, so I did my best to answer.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
hey guys,

No, A2DP and Phone Bluetooth are standard since MY2015.

Quote:
Texts/email display, two phone simultaneous pairing, baseplate.

Searching helps: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=778185
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 AM

Sweet, thanks guys!

I have an iPhone 6. Looks like BMW doesn't really support it yet. Any recommendations on what I can do to get my iPhone 6 to work with the snap in adapter?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Sweet, thanks guys!

I have an iPhone 6. Looks like BMW doesn't really support it yet. Any recommendations on what I can do to get my iPhone 6 to work with the snap in adapter?
The iPhone 6 is supported.

It looks like for MY2016 you will be able to use the Apple white USB cable in a non-Nav 3-Series when you opt for 6NS (Enhanced Bluetooth/USB). Before MY2016, 6NS and the Apple white USB cable were only available with Nav.

There is an iPhone 6 and an universal iPhone snap-in adapter available right now at your dealer.

So you will be fine. Enjoy your car...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 328d wagon
Snap in adaptors are pricey and will be obsolete before you know it.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 PM

I like all the other features but I am not too crazy about the base plate. I like to use my phone for navigation and hence it'll probably not sit on the base plate. Do I *have* to use the base plate or do I get the benefit of the extra antenna etc by just using the phone normally?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I like all the other features but I am not too crazy about the base plate. I like to use my phone for navigation and hence it'll probably not sit on the base plate. Do I *have* to use the base plate or do I get the benefit of the extra antenna etc by just using the phone normally?
The antenna in the baseplate is inductive, so the phone must be placed in the baseplate via the snap-in if the external antenna is to be used. If you ask me, I have not experienced any TX/RX improvement by using the baseplate. Maybe it really helps in fringe areas, but in my metropolitan area there is no difference.

Other than that, there is no difference in functionality between the USB in the baseplate and the USB port just beside the baseplate. Actually, you do not even need to pay for 6NS as it can be coded and the second USB can be installed in the glovebox: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=835005
Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 PM

From the other thread about enhanced bluetooth it looks like I will be missing out on the following if I did not get the option :

Library Browsing - Playlist, Artist, Genre via Bluetooth (still works via USB)
Ability to connect 2 bluetooth phones simultaneously
Additional Microphone - For improved communications
iSpeech - Voice control for contacts and music
Mobile Office - Text Messages, Email, Calendar, Tasks, Contact photos, Voice memos.
Base plate in center console - for snap-in Adapter integration
Connection to external antenna For improved reception

Question 1 : Do I need to put the phone in the baseplate to use any of the other options?

Question 2 : I use my phone for listening to music. If I can do the following things without the package, then I can do away with it :
1. ability to skip to next/prev songs using the steering wheel controls
2. ability to stream any music from my iPhone (pandora or itunes) wirelessly through the car speakers
3. the album artwork (song name, album name and album cover) shows up on the screen

Can I do these things with no enhanced bluetooth package and no nav?
Thanks a lot!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Question 1 : Do I need to put the phone in the baseplate to use any of the other options?
Answer is above.

Quote:
Question 2 : I use my phone for listening to music. If I can do the following things without the package, then I can do away with it :
1. ability to skip to next/prev songs using the steering wheel controls
2. ability to stream any music from my iPhone (pandora or itunes) wirelessly through the car speakers
3. the album artwork (song name, album name and album cover) shows up on the screen

Can I do these things with no enhanced bluetooth package and no nav?
Thanks a lot!
Yes.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:29 PM

Thanks @technic! I am going to have the dealer remove the option, seems like its useless for me and would occupy a bunch of space. My car is not in production yet, I hope I can still modify the options!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
Library browsing over Bluetooth works fine in 2016 vehicles without enhanced BT.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 420 F33
I am getting sooo confused at the moment, as I currently have a 4 series convertible (Sept 2014) and at the time, was told not to bother with Enhanced BT since it was "all now included with the new head unit on models built from July).

Having battled with BMW for 18 months about this, and them admitting that Enhanced BT is actually needed for the Office functionality and the dual phones, I am striking a deal with the dealer to swap out my car at cost (as they refuse point blank (at BMW) to retrofit the option).

HOWEVER!! I am just pricing up a 6 series convertible and once again, I am being told Enhanced Bluetooth (as in the 6NS) is not needed as it is all included in the "Enhanced Bluetooth and USB..." and actually, you cannot select the "full" enhanced Bluetooth anymore in the options list. The brochure also marks 6NS as "standard".

Looking through the print out from the dealer with all the standard and optional specs (before I sign on the dotted line), I have noticed that there is no 6NS code at all. Instead there seems to be a 6NW, which is the "Enhanced Bluetooth and USB".

Has anyone got a 6 series convertible recently based on this new 6NW code? If so, can you confirm if the Office functionality, including the text messages being read out etc, with the ability to fully connect 2 phones (and have both able to select if they ring) is available as part of this 6NW?

I really dont want to go spending all this extra money (even if I am getting a decent discount) only to end up in exactly the same position and battle that I am in now :-(

Also, anyone know if 6NS can be coded "in addition" to 6NW if these functions are not included with 6NW?

Thanks

Andy
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Enhanced Bluetooth/USB (6NP) is standard in the 6-Series from MY2016-on. 6NS in the 6-Series is just the baseplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezza72 View Post
I am getting sooo confused at the moment, as I currently have a 4 series convertible (Sept 2014) and at the time, was told not to bother with Enhanced BT since it was "all now included with the new head unit on models built from July).

Having battled with BMW for 18 months about this, and them admitting that Enhanced BT is actually needed for the Office functionality and the dual phones, I am striking a deal with the dealer to swap out my car at cost (as they refuse point blank (at BMW) to retrofit the option).

HOWEVER!! I am just pricing up a 6 series convertible and once again, I am being told Enhanced Bluetooth (as in the 6NS) is not needed as it is all included in the "Enhanced Bluetooth and USB..." and actually, you cannot select the "full" enhanced Bluetooth anymore in the options list. The brochure also marks 6NS as "standard".

Looking through the print out from the dealer with all the standard and optional specs (before I sign on the dotted line), I have noticed that there is no 6NS code at all. Instead there seems to be a 6NW, which is the "Enhanced Bluetooth and USB".

Has anyone got a 6 series convertible recently based on this new 6NW code? If so, can you confirm if the Office functionality, including the text messages being read out etc, with the ability to fully connect 2 phones (and have both able to select if they ring) is available as part of this 6NW?

I really dont want to go spending all this extra money (even if I am getting a decent discount) only to end up in exactly the same position and battle that I am in now :-(

Also, anyone know if 6NS can be coded "in addition" to 6NW if these functions are not included with 6NW?

Thanks

Andy
Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 420 F33
Thanks Technic.

So now I am really confused. On the order there is no 6NP.

Re-reading it, it says 6NW "Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging"

This is so frustrating

I guess I have something to go off though now when I go back in as I can ask them where 6NP is on my order sheet!

To be honest as long as 6NP or 6NW (maybe it is a country thing??) has the office functionality with the ability to read out and access text/email messages....and the additional phones, then I dont care what they have called it lol

Thanks

Andy
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Thanks Technic.

This is so frustrating

I guess I have something to go off though now when I go back in as I can ask them where 6NP is on my order sheet!

To be honest as long as 6NP or 6NW (maybe it is a country thing??) has the office functionality with the ability to read out and access text/email messages....and the additional phones, then I dont care what they have called it lol

Thanks

Andy
Andy,

I'm not sure if this will help, but in my 2013 328i I had Enhanced BT and was able to get text messages read to me. When I traded for my 2015 328i with Connected Drive, that feature was (I thought) missing until my Genius showed me the "Extended Functions" that interact with Google directly on my phone. You access these features by pressing and holding (for about three seconds) the voice activation button on the steering wheel and then releasing the button when it beeps and saying, "Read my last text". The text is read to you through the speakers in the car. You can also compose and send text messages using the same extended functions. I've also used it to search for restaurants, gas stations, an address, or to dial a contact in my phone's contact list. In addition to the features that work with Google, I can still stream music from my phone. I'm very happy with the way the new head unit works and now, I no longer miss the Enhanced Bluetooth.

2015 BMW 328i
2012 Lexus RX350
2007 Ford F250
1970 Chevrolet El Camino
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 AM

If looking at a MY2017 6-Series then 6NP was deleted last January and replaced with ZEB Enhanced Bluetooth and USB as standard equipment. 6NW is Wireless Charging, also standard. Office is standard.

Quote:
Thanks Technic.

This is so frustrating

Thanks

Andy

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2016 3 series sedan, 328i

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search