oil level will not read - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 435I M Sport
oil level will not read

Good day all of you Bimmer Guru's.
I need a quick reply for my 2014 F32 Msport 435I, I can't get the oil level to read, it get up to 17% then it stops. Any Ideas as to a replacement part to fix this issue or maybe oil level too low? I have 8000 miles per BMW for next oil change and 61k on the ODO... thanks in advance,,,

Last edited by Ninamg7; 02-04-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Check out this thread, the issue may be oil level sensor:

https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.p...x-drive.10061/
Old 02-05-2020, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i
I had a similar problem with my 2015 328i and it turned out to be a low oil level.

I had changed the oil recently, but not tightened the filter cover properly and it was leaking. Oil level showed normal right after changing it, but the leak dropped it down quickly to a point where the sensor did not work correctly.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
There is a PuMA document associated with replacing oil level condition sensors. Find your part number at RealOEM and likely the PuMA will be noted there.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:38 PM
black msport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i msport
Mine did exactly the same thing at exactly 17%.....
Mine was about 150 miles after oil change I got a low oil pressure code .I stopped and tried to get a reading but it wouldn't go past 17%...I tried repeatedly but stopped at 17 each time.Then I remembered the oil change guy was in the car for an unusually long time,,he said he was trying to reset the oil change interval but that wasn't changed.
After a tow home I put a quart of oil in suspecting the oil place shorted me ..but that didn't fix it.Code for low pressure disappeared at rerstart.
I started checking for leaks or loose wires since no knocking or strange sounds like an oil starved engine would produce.I took the filter housing cap off and
GUESS WHAT???.......The dam oil change guy took the filter cartridge out and the oil bypass gizmo normally snapped into the cap came out with the cartridge.
He chucked them both in the garbage and dropped a new cartridge in without replacing the bypass tube. He must have just chucked the small o-ring you are supposed to replace and just closed the housing.
I went back in my wifes car and asked him by showing him a picture of what its supposed to look like with bypass installed.Amazingly,,,he admitted it (there is hope for this young generation) and we looked through the garbage and found it.
I replaced it when I got home and the oil level thing started reading just fine....
The weird thing is that I didn't get a code for low oil pressure until I had about 150 miles on it and not until I hit about 90mph on the freeway.I wonder if a code would have ever popped if I just drove it grampa style and never checked the oil level....It took awhile for pressure to drop to a level deemed dangerous by computer....Anyways....that's why my oil level gizmo wouldn't read past 17% If you wanna check..its easy...pull the top off off your oil filter housing (unscrew by hand ) and simply look to see if there is a black "tube" sticking out of the cap with a small o-ring on it.If the o-ring is missing it may behave very similiar

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-17-2020 at 08:51 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search