Run Flats to Regular Tires - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Some people have the nail hole plugged--but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me! In my nearly 100,000 miles in my 2013 320i sport package, I've never had any problems with my RFT's and have never carried a spare!

Old 10-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
A month after I set my car up with a spare, I caught a nail in a tire!
About 2 years ago one run flat tire picked up a nail which caused a slow leak. It was plugged with no problems since. At 77k miles I'm still on the original run flats with only 1 repair. Great tires so far.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
How has your experience been with Driveguard? Also how much is your repair + maintenance up to 100k miles? My assumption is that your timing chain has not yet blown up, right?
The car has been trouble-free since day one!

Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The car has been trouble-free since day one!
Except for N20/N26 timing chain worries, there is zero issue so far for my N26 almost 70k/7 years!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435iX
Just switched from the Pirelli P7 Cinturato run flats to a set of Continental Extreme Contact DSW all seasons. I live in Michigan and after driving the last couple days in a lot of snow, I can tell you that they are great in the snow for an all season, very confidence inspiring. They are not as good as a dedicated set of snow tires, like a Blizzak, but close enough, and they do everything else very well. I bought these tires specifically for their snow capabilities and they have not let me down.

I am impressed with this tire, and how much smoother the ride is, I recommend them to anyone that is trying to make a decision on an all-season. Way better than the RF, but you'll need a back-up plan for a flat.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Those tire slime kits are TERRIBLE:
1) They very often don't work
2) They are, at best, a temporary repair
3) They ruin the TPMS (tire pressure) sensor, and they gum up the tire and wheel badly

Instead, I suggest you assemble a tire plug kit:
1) BlackJack tire plug kit, with fitted case and professional tools and plugs which absolutely work
2) One or two pairs of nitrile gloves
3) Small flashlight
4) Mini pliers kit from Sears (to pull the nail out)
5) 12V tire inflator
6) Small spray bottle (empty; these leak if stored with fluids)
7) Travel size dish soap
8) 12 oz bottled water
9) AAA membership (in case of severe blowout or sidewall cut)

This is a very inexpensive, compact kit which will let you easily, professionally, permanently repair a puncture, get on the road, and stay on the road.

Each of those parts is important. You need to keep a sealed bottle of water and the spray bottle separate. Then you'll combine the water and soap in the spray bottle so you can find the leak.

I've driven a Prius Plug-in for five years with no spare, and I quickly repaired punctures twice using this set up. The soapy water is critical for small punctures; you'll otherwise have a very hard time finding the nail. You inflate the tire until you hear the air hissing out, then you spray the soapy water around the hiss until you see the bubbles.

The BlackJack kit is used by pro mechanics and it comes with complete instructions, which you should read ahead of time. Also, put a piece of thin foam in the BlackJack case to keep its contents from rattling inside your car.

I took the first photo when I'd purchased a cheapo tire plug kit. I later bought the BlackJack, which is vastly higher quality.

Thank you for this post. This makes perfect sense to me going forward.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 340i xDrive Sedan
I drive A LOT, so I don't want to be bothered with changing flats on the side of the NJ Turnpike, Parkway, or NY Thruway. I see people changing flats on cold dark mornings, it may never happen to me, but I don't want to be that guy.
I stick with Bridgestones for the most park, summer or all season run flats. On my last 2011 335i, the Bridegestone Driveguard all season run flats were much quieter than the summer performance tires. This year I went with Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s because these will be permanent winter tires on the stock 19" 704Ms, and next year I'll get a new set of rims and tires for the spring, summer, partial fall.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 PM
black msport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i msport
run flats for regular

I changed my run flat (m-sport perellis) for toyo proxy4s …The steering isn't quite so sharp but olny noticeable when really pushing it.The run flats however slipped and slid all over the place in rain,,the toyos a/s hold very well.Im not quite as impressed with the toyos as I was with the Michelin pilots I used to have....those were great tires.
The ride of the toyos is much more comfortable on long trips then the run flats but with a slight decrease in all out performance

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bubble, good year, run flats, tire

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search